APE Will Sponsor AMA/Prostars new Real Street Class in 2008

More
16 Nov 2007 09:10 #181329 by mariozappa
www.dragbike.com/dbnews/anmviewer.asp?a=3574&z=13

I went to prostar last year and it was great. It would be nice to see the real street class run here.

APE is proud to announce it's new sponsorship agreement with Prostar AMA Drag Racing, the premier motorcycle drag racing organization.

APE will be the 2008 class sponsor for the exciting new class "APE Real Street". This class is basically stock chassis, big bore street bikes, with extended wheelbase, and nearly unlimited engine modifications. They run a DOT rear tire and no wheelie bars. Racing is heads up with no index or break out. The current E.T record is 8.70 sec.

APE's CEO Jay Eshbach states, "we are very excited about this new partnership with Prostar AMA Drag Racing. The Real Street class is the direct target demographic for the majority of our high performance sales. Most of our customers now are on modified late model big bore sport bikes, and Real Street is a perfect fit."

Eshbach continues; " We are enthusiastic with the new Prostar AMA Drag Racing management and the direction they are taking the sport of motorcycle drag racing"

APE Real Street will be contested at eight national events in 2008.

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2007 21:18 #181552 by StreetfighterKz
www.amaprostar.com/rulebook/RealStreet.pdf

Sounds like a good idea for us guys with older bikes until you read through the rules.

Like:
1) You must use an OEM block casting. *Which limits us to 1260cc max.

2) No lock-up clutches allowed. *We better stock up on clutch plates and start working on our forearm muscles to squeeeze the HD springs we'll need.

3) Stock frames required with no modifications. *Good thing our frames flex like wet spaghetti when coupled to high HP.

4) Wheels must be same diameter as OEM. Front to be a minimum of 3.00" in width. Rear a max of 6.25" in width. *We have to relace our hubs with wider rims but keep the hulla hoop diameters.

Its a great idea for the guys with newer bikes but nearly impossible for bikes of our age and design to be anywhere near competitive.

There is a bright side! Prostar is also coming out with another streetbike class for '08 called the Street Fighter 9.50 Index class. All I know from what I've read is a heads-up .400 tree index class with actual streetbikes in mind. DOT tires, no bars and no delay boxes and with a 68" WB. Should be a good class for us guys with the older bikes.

My 900 'Strip-fighter should be able to fit right in.

I didn't mean to burst your bubble but I read about the class a good while ago on Dragbike.com forums and wasn't happy about the rules. The adminstrators didn't seem to care too much about the Real Street class only being a viable option for newer bikes. Maybe that's why they formed the 9.50 class?

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

More
18 Nov 2007 07:31 #181582 by otakar
It's in black and white on the APE web sight. This class is not intended for us. I guess APE is not interrested in our business, I guess I can find alternative parts sourses:(

The Real Street class is the target demographic for the majority of our high performance sales. Most of our customers now are on modified late model big bore sport bikes, and Real Street is a perfect fit."

Post edited by: otakar, at: 2007/11/18 10:37

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
18 Nov 2007 13:33 #181612 by StreetfighterKz
otakar wrote:

I guess APE is not interrested in our business, I guess I can find alternative parts sourses:(

Jay is interested in our business. BUT the sport is shifting toward the newer bikes. Its inevitable; its called evolution and adaptation.

Jay still supports all the guys with Kz's or else he'd be discounting everything and getting rid of all of it because there'd be no need for any of it. Most of the index guys are still running older Kz and GS motors.

Just because his company sponsors a streetbike class doesn't mean he doesn't love us. :whistle: He even said on another post on here that half of the big blocks his company sells for Kz's are for streetbikes.

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

More
19 Nov 2007 06:07 #181694 by mariozappa
Holy cow boys!
I posted this because I like prostar racing and thought it was nice that APE was sponsering them.
I didn't intend to race in the new category, just watch.
I read about it awhile back on db.com too, alot of people thought it wouldn't fit.

I don't know what class you have to be in, but I saw this bike run out there this year.

Sorry to get some of you upset, it didn't weigh all that much on me.

I'll just stick to Tuesday night's run what you brung.

;)

Post edited by: mariozappa, at: 2007/11/19 09:08

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)
Attachments:

More
19 Nov 2007 06:18 #181702 by tjettim
Drag racing motorcyles is a joke nowadays.
I can't run my stock ZX14 without a pro license.
NHRA,and whatever group runs Top Fuel HDs only,
are all owned by HD,NHRA prostock is a joke.Some
body needs to have an event for aircooled motorcycles.
How else are they going to keep selling all the engine parts they make for them?

More
19 Nov 2007 22:52 #181825 by donthekawguy
I like the air cooled only thought. Maybe add a pre 82 vin stamped frame or something like that.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
20 Nov 2007 04:14 #181836 by StreetfighterKz
forums.dragbike.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7831&PN=4

I suggested some different rules for 2 valve vs. 4 valve motors but they didn't really give it a thought.

Still the 9.50 class looks like a good alternative although I would love to run heads-up and who ever gets there first wins but I don't see that happening.

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax