engine polishing

More
27 Oct 2007 18:03 #178416 by hydrolazer
engine polishing was created by hydrolazer
im going to try and get ltd rider to tell us how he got his engine to look so darned good,,,,,ltd rider if you please....

\'79 kaw 1000 ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2007 19:35 #178588 by z1rick
Replied by z1rick on topic engine polishing
I am jealous of his bike. It looks so good, even up close, ;)

Anaheim CA
1999 KZ 100P
1974 Z1 900 Project
1977 (2) KZ 650 projects

More
29 Oct 2007 09:31 #178662 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic engine polishing
Thanks for the kind words.
Lots of members have done some awesome work on their motors, polished to a mirror finish.
I wanted my motor to look like new stock, like it would have looked on the showroom floor. And they weren't mirror-shiny back then. So my motor's nothing like the one pictured at the top of this page.
The cast aluminum surfaces get rubbed with a scotchbrite pad (green) and Mothers Metal Polish. Get in-between the fins by folding the scotchbrite pad to fit. Buff it off with a soft cloth. Use a pencil or popcycle stick to force the buffing cloth between the fins.
The machined aluminum surfaces get rubbed with Mr. Buffer on a soft cloth, then buff it off with a clean soft cloth. It leaves some kind of surface residue that keeps it shiny for months.
After that, just keep the oil and grime off it with Simple Green and rinse with water. The less your motor leaks, the cleaner it will stay.
A fridge with cold beer, a stool, and some good tunes, and you can make an afternoon of it.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
29 Oct 2007 12:25 #178681 by Norseman
Replied by Norseman on topic engine polishing
ltd, I'm assuming you first removed all the clear coat that was on the engine originally? I tried your method on mine, and it didn't make a lick of difference because of the remnants of some type of coating. How would one remove this substance - paint stripper?

More
29 Oct 2007 12:52 #178683 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic engine polishing
None of my motorcycles had any coating except the 1974 H2. The rest of them, you can polish real nice by hand.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
Attachments:

More
29 Oct 2007 12:53 #178684 by ltdrider
Norseman wrote:

ltd, I'm assuming you first removed all the clear coat that was on the engine originally? I tried your method on mine, and it didn't make a lick of difference because of the remnants of some type of coating. How would one remove this substance - paint stripper?

Oh yeah... don't forget to remove the clear coat! :pinch:
I used wet sandpaper on the machined (smooth) surfaces. Start with 600 grit, sand in one direction. Go to 800, and sand in the perpendicular direction. Then go to 1200 in the other direction. If your clearcoat was like mine (blistered), it'll come right off. You can do the same on your fork lowers... they'll buff out shiney!
I used a wire brush and coars steel wool on the cast surfaces.
I've never re-applied the clear coat after polishing because the shine is pretty easy to maintain.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
Greensboro, NC

More
29 Oct 2007 14:08 #178689 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic engine polishing
Interesting, none of mine had clearcoat. Forks, yes. Engine, no.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
29 Oct 2007 15:28 #178698 by ltdrider
I thought mine was clearcoated. Had like a yellow film on it. Wet sanding removed it.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
Greensboro, NC

More
29 Oct 2007 17:00 #178707 by hydrolazer
Replied by hydrolazer on topic engine polishing
thanks for a fast reply ltd rider...i rubbed my covers with mothers and the cast parts with the green scotch brite pads,with little effort i can see a huge difference,,,thanks for the tips

\'79 kaw 1000 ltd

More
29 Oct 2007 17:08 #178708 by hydrolazer
thanks for a fast reply ltd rider...i rubbed my covers with mothers and the cast parts with the green scotch brite pads,with little effort i can see a huge difference,,,thanks for the tips

\'79 kaw 1000 ltd

More
29 Oct 2007 17:09 #178709 by hydrolazer

\'79 kaw 1000 ltd