Ouch!

• jjdwoodman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
16 Oct 2007 15:37 #176512 by jjdwoodman
Ouch! was created by jjdwoodman
Well, let's just say I'm not too worried about the cruise right now!

left the house this morning in the fog. Normally I wouldn't ride in fog due to visibility, but the batteries were dead in the truck. I figure if I get to work I'll be alright.

didn't make it two miles and a pickup pulled out right in front of me from a side road!:angry:

tried to stop, but lost it when the front tire blew out.

got a broke collar bone, some bruised ribs, and road rash and bruises.:pinch:

voyager has bent front forks, cracked windshield, generator cover is worn all the way through, and lots of wear on the fairing.

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2007 15:57 #176514 by mmarshall
Replied by mmarshall on topic Ouch!
hope you are gonna be ok..too bad about the bike..the 1300s are getting kinda hard to get parts for aren't they?

More
16 Oct 2007 17:06 #176537 by z1rick
Replied by z1rick on topic Ouch!
Sorry to hear about your wreck:( Hope you and the bike will be OK. Get better.

Anaheim CA
1999 KZ 100P
1974 Z1 900 Project
1977 (2) KZ 650 projects

• jjdwoodman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
16 Oct 2007 17:19 #176541 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic Ouch!
parts don't grow on trees it seems!

The two worst ones look to be the gen cover and the windshield. $750 from makaw and no used or aftermarket yet found.

I may end up selling it next spring after all is in order. Promised a few loved ones no more commuting on bikes.. recreation only. bought the voyager for the winter commute, and for muscle it's too bulky. any one know if the forks off my 79 1300 will fit? the air fittings look a little different.

thanks for the concern all:P

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

More
16 Oct 2007 18:52 #176566 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Ouch!
Wow, after my accident (which totally freaked me out) all these others are happening way too fast! Gets me to thinking again about swinging my leg over the beast. Let's be really careful out there guys!

jjdWoodman, so sorry to hear that, physically you came out fairly well. Bike can always be fixed. Sorry to ramble but my accident is still pretty fresh in my mind.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
16 Oct 2007 20:25 #176590 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Ouch!
DAM!
There's been too many mishaps this season...and so close to ther END of the season(for some)...WOW!:ohmy:

Sorry to hear that,Woodman...shitty buzz!
Glad to hear that You're alive though...heal fast Bud.B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
16 Oct 2007 20:55 #176599 by 2M4Dale
Replied by 2M4Dale on topic Ouch!
WOW ... glad you're OK !

When it's foggy here in north central Ohio I either wait till the fog lifts of drive one of my cars ... too many drivers out there trying to look through misted up windshields in addition to talking on cell phones ... drinking morning coffee, etc,etc. Commuting can be tricky business sometimes.

Like I said ... glad you're at least mostly OK !!!

Hello from Sunny Mansfield, Ohio
1980 KZ750H1 LTD
1981 KZ750H2 LTD

More
17 Oct 2007 10:24 #176703 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Ouch!
Sorry to hear that Woodman, that really sucks. Hoping your recovery is quick! :)

I've decided to stop using the bike for commuting. I usually have a lot on my mind on the way to work and I'd rather have full attention on a ride. I ride less often, but it's better quality time. I still occasionally ride to work if I don't have anything else going on, but I treat it like a regular ride and only when I know I have plenty of extra time to get there.

More
17 Oct 2007 12:24 #176723 by pumps
Replied by pumps on topic Ouch!
I still commute when possible. Luckily it's early enough that traffic is lighter..Get better my friend.;)

Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

More
17 Oct 2007 13:37 #176735 by Skypilot54
Replied by Skypilot54 on topic Ouch!
Wow, man, sorry that happened to you. Heal well.

I've only been riding about a month, and this morning I had a guy run his share of a 3-way stop sign. Fortunately I was watching him all the way, and I didn't enter the intersection until the dimwit passed through. I'm still not sure if he even knew he had a stop sign.

• jjdwoodman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
17 Oct 2007 16:16 #176758 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic Ouch!
I tell you what guys, I'm relly kind of torn over this whole thing.

I've always wanted to go on a long trip with my wife for an anniversary or such, and thought the voyager would really be the hot item for that, but she can't go anywhere for a while. (due in January)

So I told myself that I could commute on it till then and I wouldn't be green. And the commute isn't bad, up one two lane for nine miles, and over on a really hilly stretch for 8 miles. No towns and just one red light.

but with 3 + 1 Kids, I just don't know if the extra exposure is worth it. It's really great therapy for me to ride, but not at the expense of my family.:(

How do you guys balance the risk with the joys?

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

More
17 Oct 2007 16:33 #176761 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Ouch!
Since my accident I'll be more vigilant than ever. I've been riding the same bike for 27 years and I think I tended to get too relaxed. Probably thought I'm experianced and nothing will happen. Well.... BAMB!!! Back to square one so to speak, I think we all get a little relaxed which is normal. Time to remember what is at stake here, not only you but your family and friends. I will NOT stop riding, It's what I love and my wife insists that I fix my bike and continue on. But I will slow down, pay more attention and don't take anything for granted. Keep riding, but ride safe!! :cheer:

Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2007/10/17 19:34

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments: