Tractor vs KZ750 ... tractor wins !!!

More
15 Oct 2007 13:12 #176273 by 2M4Dale
Replied by 2M4Dale on topic Tractor vs KZ750 ... tractor wins !!!
Thanks guys for all the kind words !!! With me sitting here feeling sorry for myself ... it helps to know that others can kindof feel my pain ... LMAO.

Yes, Becca feels really bad. I have tried to make her feel better ... but like me ... nothing can really make us feel much better just yet ... Oh Well

And Gringo ... I have some motorcycle / mechanic / fabricator / machinest buddies, myself included ... and we are gonna try to assess the total frame damage this week. If the frame isn't too badly f'd up I do, indeed, plan to re-restore the thing again this winter. The engine, brakes, suspension, etc, etc, all just performed too well to write this old girl off as a total loss ! Sooooooo ... I may very well take you up on the parts thing. For sure I would need almost everything between the handgrips and the point where the rubber meets the road up front.

If this frame is toast .... can anyone say "Metric Chopper" :)

Pics tonight or tommorrow ...

Hello from Sunny Mansfield, Ohio
1980 KZ750H1 LTD
1981 KZ750H2 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2007 14:42 #176279 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Tractor vs KZ750 ... tractor wins !!!
man that is a bummer big time!!!, you should be able to find a decent parts bike some place there was one on craigs list here a few weeks ago, wasnt much there, but it did have a good frame and title.

I was at a friends house about a year ago, his grandaughter jumped in his TR6 restored of coure and hit the starter, it fired up in gear and crashed into the work bench at the end of the shop, I dont think she sat down for a week after mom came out to see what was going on:( :(

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
15 Oct 2007 16:30 #176299 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Tractor vs KZ750 ... tractor wins !!!
i guess this solves your handlbar dellemia, kidding.

if i suffered the same fate i'd probably cry.:dry:

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
15 Oct 2007 16:57 #176304 by dreamsofaz1r
Replied by dreamsofaz1r on topic Tractor vs KZ750 ... tractor wins !!!
Sorry to hear about the wreck. The bad part is is that while you can see how wrecked the bike is, you really cant see how bad your daughter is "wrecked", or for that matter, how bad you are "wrecked". I hope before the bike gets fixed, that you and your daughter get fixed as well.

You said something about "the plan", well perhaps the NEW plan is to have her help you rebuild it. I know she is a GIRL, but hey, there are girls out there who ride and wrench also......

Good luck.

More
15 Oct 2007 20:34 #176349 by 2M4Dale
dreamsofaz1r wrote:

You said something about "the plan", well perhaps the NEW plan is to have her help you rebuild it. I know she is a GIRL, but hey, there are girls out there who ride and wrench also......

Good luck.

dreamsofaz1r, We are gonna be A-OK ... Becca and I have already talked this evening about our up-coming rebuild-rebuild .... lol.

AND .... motorcycle people are just awesome ... I have lots of car guy buds too but none are more helpfull and supportive to me than my motorcycle friends !!! All my closest motorcycle friends came over this evening to help me scope out the situation with my bike ...

After a pretty extensive evaluation ... pending teardown ... we have determined that she's quite fixable !!! No major damage to the steering head, frame or swingarm !!! The forks and other sundry items will need replaced but we can do that !!!! :woohoo:

OK ... now for some pics 'eh !!!

A my last good pre-tractor incedent pic taken Oct 6th ... two days after I got her runnin' and just after getting home from a 130 mile jaunt thru and around Mohican State Park area.

Post edited by: 2M4Dale, at: 2007/10/15 23:36

Post edited by: N0NB, at: 2007/10/16 07:29

1980 KZ750H1 LTD
1981 KZ750H2 LTD

More
15 Oct 2007 20:44 #176351 by 79MKII
Replied by 79MKII on topic Tractor vs KZ750 ... tractor wins !!!
OH man that hurts to look at! :( I too was following the progress of your bike and though it was great that your daughter was helping with the rebuild. I have 3 daughters myself and they are all interested in helping me too. I'm sure she feels terrible, but at least no one was hurt. It could have been a lot worse. The bike looks very fixable too. Please keep us posted and good luck with the re-rebuild!:)

The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

More
16 Oct 2007 04:32 #176374 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Tractor vs KZ750 ... tractor wins !!!
It's quite likely that the fork tubes are twisted in the triple tree rather than bent. The only way to know for sure is to get them out and roll them across a thick piece of glass like those that used to be on desktops.

I guess you have a project for the projects forum! :blink:

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
16 Oct 2007 16:18 #176521 by 2M4Dale
N0NB wrote:

I guess you have a project for the projects forum! :blink:

Yep ... I guess I do ... and I will start a thread in the project section once I get started ... it will probrably be a couple weeks before I can really dig in though.

1980 KZ750H1 LTD
1981 KZ750H2 LTD

More
16 Oct 2007 20:49 #176597 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Tractor vs KZ750 ... tractor wins !!!
Right on Dale...that's good news.
Hey...how did the body parts make out...any SERIOUS damage?
In the one pic,it LOOKS like the top left-side of the tank got it?(a little ding maybe?)

Oh,and tell Becca to start picking on Suzukis...and leave the Kawi's alone!:laugh:

I think You two are going to enjoy the "rebuild-rebuild".

So,is it too early for a Nick-name for Becca? :whistle: (probably,eh)

You can tell Her that I said,
"Becca,I know You must feel absolutely horrible about what happened...but hey Girl...We all know You didn't do it on purpose...accidents DO happen.
Be there again for (and with) Your Pops,when the time comes to straighten out those handlebars.He won't be able to do it without You.
And personally...I didn't like those handlebars in the FIRST place!"
:woohoo:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
16 Oct 2007 21:23 #176604 by 2M4Dale
The custom paint job on my tank and side covers was less than 5 weeks old ... only 10 days on the street ... the left side of the tank looks like it got hit with a hardball. My painter / motorcycle buddy / fellow worker has already told me to bring him the tank for a redo - gratis !!! I just have to buy the materials and I still have some of the prismatique stuff left ... so that's all good ! Bike didn't get a scratch on the side covers !!!

Nick name for Becca ? ... lol ... that's a good one ! I usually just call her Red ... she has firey red hair ... she is very soft spoken and demure, very sensitive ...

My wife and kids have nick-named the KZ ... "Pheonix" ... this will make twice this year the old bike has risen to life from the ashes.

And Yeah ... we'll enjoy the rebuild-rebuild .. this time maybe more than the first go-round as we were in a big hurry to get the old KZ to the street ahead of winter ... now I figure we have about 5 months ... and much less work to do.

I liked the way my bars looked but they were uncomfortable for me and actually kindof affected handling. I had to sit bolt upright on the bike and this really made it hard to lean into curves. Standard KZ bars or maybe superbike style bars this go-round.

Other damaged parts were already on the chopping block (prior to the crash) for over the winter replacement as well ... such as the cheesy 85mph speedo and sticky tach and the front fender wasn't the greatest either. The nasty old black MAC header got bent a bit but I had planned to replace that this winter too ... soooo ... outside of the forks and related parts ... I was gonna replace a lot of this stuff anyways.

Post edited by: N0NB, at: 2007/10/17 07:07

1980 KZ750H1 LTD
1981 KZ750H2 LTD

More
17 Oct 2007 04:54 #176642 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Tractor vs KZ750 ... tractor wins !!!
it really dosent look that bad, I had visions of the monster truck crush deal, most of what I see can be replaced easy enough

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
17 Oct 2007 18:37 #176783 by Wildh2oskier
Replied by Wildh2oskier on topic Tractor vs KZ750 ... tractor wins !!!
Dale if you or someone you know is coming to the Barber event this weekend I have a frame from an 83 750 twin I might could be persuaded to send back up your way.