Riding Jackets(Who's wearing what?)

• Sandy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
More
14 Oct 2007 09:22 #176122 by Sandy
I'm thinking about a new jacket.
Right now,I'm using a leather one,but I'm thinking of getting a new one,of different material(Joe Rocket maybe?).Has to be waterproof and wind proof,and have lots of available venting if I DO wear it in the hot summer months.
The leather is fine for local riding,but for the cooler months,I want something a little better.Plus,it has breast-pockets,and in the rain,they allow water in and I get soaked.
I have a pair of Joe Rocket pants(thanks Chris),and I'm very impressed with them.Too warm for the summer months though,but great for this time of the year.They have the knee inserts(protection) but in the peak of summer,My knees will sweat.

SO...who's wearing what,and does Someone maybe have one for sale?(in great condition)
:whistle:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2007 11:23 #176132 by z1rick
Replied by z1rick on topic Riding Jackets(Who's wearing what?)
I have a Tour Master mesh jacket. It has 2 liners, one quilted and one cortex. I pull them both out in the summer and have lots of ventilation.

Anaheim CA
1999 KZ 100P
1974 Z1 900 Project
1977 (2) KZ 650 projects

• Sandy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
More
14 Oct 2007 11:29 #176133 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Riding Jackets(Who's wearing what?)
Any more info,and maybe a pic...Rick?

I'm looking at this one on ebay.Just waiting for the Seller to get back to Me with some answers to a couple questions I had...

tinyurl.com/2k7bre

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
14 Oct 2007 17:33 #176175 by Talman
Replied by Talman on topic Riding Jackets(Who's wearing what?)
I wear mesh in the Summer with a liner that can zip into the inside that makes it waterproof (but also negates the cooling value of the mesh. I've got a River Rosd leather when it's cool. I also have a cool pair of chaps for cool weather. Their not leather but made of quilted nylon. They wrap around the leg with velcro and then strap to my belt.

1976 KZ 400 (Free, free, free...needs major work)
2004 Intruder Volusia
ex- 1976 KZ 400 Hot rod (Owned by return2ridin before me and Wolfencopter after me. Does anyone have it now
?)
ex- 1978 KZ 200
Bergen County, NJ

Aint no time to hate....barely time to wait

More
14 Oct 2007 17:55 #176178 by flht1997
Replied by flht1997 on topic Riding Jackets(Who's wearing what?)
i have a first gear kilimanjaro 1, had it for years. i do not think you can ge the 1 anymore, they are up to 4 now. they also have the lite? i think. it is a very good jacket, removable liner, vents and pockets all over the place. with the liner and jacket, i am good to about 40 degrees or so. even with all the vents open it is warm in the summer time however. if i had it to do again i would not get the black one, i think i would get tan. i have no plans on replacing it, it is well broken in and looks to have many, many years left in it.

Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
14 Oct 2007 18:14 #176184 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic Riding Jackets(Who's wearing what?)
I have an Icon II and i love it, it has a removable quilted liner, and all of the armor/pads.

its both leather and synthetic, so under the arms are mesh, but the forearms, elbows, back, and anywhere else your likely to tear up in a crash is nice thick leather.

It is toasty inside when stopped in traffic in summer (so far i have only used is in Seoul Korea...) but when moving at all it is nice and cool.

I don't have a long time riding, so no great wealth of knowledge as to how it compares to other jackets...i just know i am very happy with this one.

and no, i was not paid to say this!! :P :woohoo: :P

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
14 Oct 2007 18:22 #176186 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic Riding Jackets(Who's wearing what?)
I have the Mark 3 Kilimanjaro and it works great....but then I live in the Great White North, where I need full-on protection for most rides, except the months of July and August. As FLHT says, it's got a zillion pockets and vents and has the zip out liner.....but if you live in the warmer parts of the continent it may be more than YOU need. First Gear also makes a Kilimanjaro Air version with mesh and vents for warmer climates so you may want to investiagte this option.
First Gear's quality is excellent, IMO, because after my getoff this spring the jacket showed zero evidence of damage.
I hosed it down and scrubbed it up with some laundry soap and a brush and warm water and then hosed it down again and it came out looking like new. Highly recommended, IMO.:) B)

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
14 Oct 2007 18:33 #176192 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Riding Jackets(Who's wearing what?)
Hey Sandy,

I have a First Gear Kilimanjaro. It's a good jacket with enough variations for any weather. It's one style of jacket, nylon cordura, looks a bit like I'm ready for Artic Roller Derby.

I also have an Icon Motorhead, classic bad boy leather. It's my favorite.

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300
Attachments:

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
14 Oct 2007 19:27 #176200 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Riding Jackets(Who's wearing what?)
Sandy wrote:

I'm looking at this one on ebay.Just waiting for the Seller to get back to Me with some answers to a couple questions I had...

tinyurl.com/2k7bre

Don't get the Phoenix jacket, you'll freeze your *expeltives* off!

I have a black JR Meteor 4.0 Textile jacket (it's the 6.0 now) for the warmer months. It has a full-sleeve insulated zip-out liner, vents in the biceps and one in the back, expendable outer sleeves (good for wearing something heavier underneath for extra warmth w/out being constrictive), foam "armor" padding in the elbows/shoulders/back (can be replaced with kevlar armor if desired) and even has a sewn in zipper for matching pants attachment.

I bought it from the eBay seller newenough about 3 seasons ago = great prices and very good folks to deal with!
I actually bought this jacket and a similar one for Rose for less ($130.00) than I could have bought ONE for locally (IIRC $199.99 each), and that was including shipping. B) In fact the one I bought for myself was a BIN listing at a killer price, I called and they added Rose's jacket to the order for the same killer price! :)

For the cooler months, I have a leather JR (almost identical to the one below) jacket with similar features (no expandable sleeves however) as my Meteor 4.0 jacket.
I do recall though that one of it's touted benefits in the area of protection is that it is 1.5mm thick, as opposed to the usual 1.3 or 1.4 other jackets have.
Surprisingly it doesn't really feel heavy, but wearing it anything above 85 degrees becomes slightly uncomfortable for me.

If you're looking for something versatile enough to be an all-season jacket (not snow-storm proof of course :P), then I'd suggest the
JR Meteor 6.0

It's pretty much the same as the older 4.0, but states it's 100% waterproof! :woohoo:

I'd say give them a call (I did!) and see if they have a jacket you want that just isn't currently listed on eBay. ;)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
15 Oct 2007 03:04 #176233 by gpzrox
Replied by gpzrox on topic Riding Jackets(Who's wearing what?)
They are at www.newenough.com , and the closeouts are amazing.

Oh, and I have worn Icons, Timax both. The current one is green, and I will never go back to a black jacket if I can help it.

What would I buy next? That Firstgear Kilamajaro that was mentioned a couple of times up above.

84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
15 Oct 2007 04:31 #176236 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Riding Jackets(Who's wearing what?)
I am now eagerly awaitng the arrival of my first "real" biker jacket:
www.powersports4less.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=HH84-093
Might be here this afternoon, I hope.
All these years I've never had a dedicated biker jacket. All I've ever worn was a gnarly old brown leather bomber jacket, which will now be relegated to Toecutter duties during rat runs.

More
15 Oct 2007 04:55 #176237 by bemoore
Replied by bemoore on topic Riding Jackets(Who's wearing what?)
I've got a Tourmaster Intake mesh jacket. It comes with two liners, one waterproof, and one thermal liner. It also has CE armor. I wear it year round. Well, as much of the year as I ride. I don't ride in the coldest weather, but the jacket isn't the limiting factor.

77 KZ650C1 w/Kerker 4-1