Winter riding

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
11 Oct 2007 06:33 #175657 by riverroad
Winter riding was created by riverroad
Weeeell, it's forty below and I don't gi...
Not quite forty below yet, more like +46. Enough to make me take my truck to work today.
I'm in the process of shmoozing my wife up so I can buy me some decent winter riding clothes. Need new jacket, new boots, maybe even some chaps and stuff.
But while looking around I discovered some electrically heated clothes. Vests, pants, gloves and stuff.
My question is, are these old charging systems up to the task? If not, is there a way to hotrod them? Step them up a little?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
11 Oct 2007 06:58 #175665 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic Winter riding
Nah you don't need all that high tech crap, just go down to your favorite store Farm and Home and get you one of these to go with your muffler.:laugh: :P :whistle:

Post edited by: The Gringo, at: 2007/10/11 10:22

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special
Attachments:

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
11 Oct 2007 07:23 #175673 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Winter riding
Yeah, I tried to put some of those on my Cowasaki, but she started acting like a rabid Brahma with PMS.
(Dammit, I have a great pic in response but it's a bitmap and it won't go on here)

Post edited by: riverroad, at: 2007/10/11 10:24

Here we go:

Post edited by: riverroad, at: 2007/10/11 10:27
Attachments:

More
11 Oct 2007 07:44 #175688 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Winter riding
I assume the 80LTD should be basically the same charge system as a KZ1000MKII. I've been all over the country with a 100w halogen headlight, electric gloves, vest and chaps. Never fazed the MKII a bit. Actually probably helped matters because the MKII will boil the battery dry in 1000 miles down the highway. Needs something to calm down the charge system a little.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
11 Oct 2007 08:05 #175692 by riverroad
You know Ron, now that you mention it, I have noticed that the battery gets pretty thirsty pretty fast on this thing. The first time it started cranking a little slow, I took the battery out and it was almost bone dry. I was surprised it would crank at all.
Thanks, I might go ahead and get me some of that lectical stuff.

More
11 Oct 2007 10:01 #175708 by apeman
Replied by apeman on topic Winter riding
Your weather gets colder than what I experience here in Northern California, but there are times when I ride over the Bay Bridge in or out of San Francisco when it is in the mid-thirties, and very damp, or with gusty winds. I wear a pair of zip-side nylon ski "powder" pants, over my office pants. On top I wear my dress shirt, covered with a light-weight zip neck sweater, then my usual Firstgear riding jacket (with liner). Under my helmet I wear a thin fleece hood. For gloves I wear a pair of ski/snowmobile gloves that I bought at Costco for under $20.

I have yet to get cold doing this. In fact, I often need to crack a vent zipper a bit to keep from sweating. I do need to remember to put some anti-fog stuff on the inside of my visor.

I see guys on their BMWs with the heated gear, and I ask them why they need it. My get-up is no more bulky than theirs, and I am plenty warm.

Now, if you are going to ride when it gets down to 20 or so, I am sure that heated stuff is worth it. I generally avoid riding if there is a chance of ice on the road.

Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
11 Oct 2007 10:45 #175720 by riverroad
Thanks Apeman, I was toying with the idea of riding those 20- days, but my commute is forty miles each way, and I'm a lot older than when I did it before.
About twentyfive years ago, I bought this quilty thing called an Applewarmer. I loved that thing. It fit around the bottom of your helmet, and you tucked the bottom of it into your jacket after you put your helmet on. I can't find anything like it now.
I didn't have to worry about fog though. That old style visor leaked a lot of air around the edges.
What kind of boots do you wear?
Back then, I was in the Air Force, and I had to wear steel toed combat boots, which were murder in cold weather.

More
11 Oct 2007 12:06 #175737 by patmann
Replied by patmann on topic Winter riding
riverroad wrote:

About twentyfive years ago, I bought this quilty thing called an Applewarmer. I loved that thing. It fit around the bottom of your helmet, and you tucked the bottom of it into your jacket after you put your helmet on. I can't find anything like it now.

HJC makes them;) Check eBay. They even have a reflective band on the top of the "neck warmer" that goes on the bottom of your helmet. It attaches with a elastic band that's integrated into the warmer.
Kinda' like your underwear band :whistle: :lol: But probably smells better..
IF you can't find one, let me know. I'm sure I have two or three left over from before we switched over to modular helmets for the Ski-Doo's.
Pat

Post edited by: patmann, at: 2007/10/11 15:56

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

More
11 Oct 2007 12:17 #175740 by apeman
Replied by apeman on topic Winter riding
riverroad wrote:

What kind of boots do you wear?
Back then, I was in the Air Force, and I had to wear steel toed combat boots, which were murder in cold weather.

I wear dress boots -- simple leather, over the ankle, with a rubber sole. I know, not very protective, but I need something that looks okay with dress pants. I was thinking about getting something more utilitarian for riding, and changing into dress shoes when I get to the office. Either way, since I only ride about 13 miles each way, my feet do not get cold enough for it to bother me.

Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

More
11 Oct 2007 17:45 #175792 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Winter riding
i just started wearing my helmet this last week, *prepares for jabs*

i found a set of widder gloves vest and chaps on ebay, would they be a reccomended brand.

Post edited by: themachine, at: 2007/10/11 20:54

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
11 Oct 2007 19:21 #175813 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic Winter riding
I think I have the boots covered, but I've been wondering if I'd do okay with my coveralls?:P

I don't know if I can get my riding jacket over them, but I was thinking about maybe some of those WALLS insulated bib overalls at wally world.

Or should I jump off the cliff and get the insulated leather chaps?

($2200 and counting. My wife is starting to doubt that the gas mileage on a motocycle is ANY cheaper than just driving the diesel.:S )

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager