Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

79' kz650sr 16 Aug 2007 14:57 #164295

• catskillkaw
  • catskillkaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey there,up here by me there is a guy with a 79 650 sr with 22k on it , nice shape and those factory crossover pipes he wants 1500.00 or best offer. What do y'all think about that price? Thanks Ron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

79' kz650sr 16 Aug 2007 21:29 #164363

• abilane78
  • User
  • Brought to you today by the letters K and Z.
  • Thank you received: 0
I think the following things....

I think that's a bit pricey without seeing it first. My first reaction if Mellvis came home and wanted to buy another SR for 1500 would be to say no since we already have one, but if it was in IMMACULATE shape, then I'd say go for it. Oh, and if it were in red since I'm not a huge fan of the purple. What a bike is worth to you might not be the same as what a bike is worth to someone else. It all really depends on your desire to buy the bike and his desire to sell it.

What is the VIN? Does it have the red or purple paint? Was it manufactured in 78 or 79? What shape is the chrome in? Are there any pics for us to see? Is the seat foam, leather, and pan in good shape? Are there any indications of it being laid down, either on the tank, sidecovers, or side of the clutch or points covers? Is there any literature, manuals, service records, etc to go with the bike? Does the little tool kit come with it? Does the VIN# stamped on the frame match the title? Any evidence of gas spillage on the tank or around the carbs? How about the steering? Will it need steering head bearings? Does it have the emissions B.S. on it? How's the inside of the tank? Side covers have the correct emblems, no cracks and all the rubber mounts are in tact on the frame? I think it would have to be in fabulous condition before I'd pay that much for an SR. Yes, the SR is our thing and I'm sure we have that much in the 78 and in the bodywork we've collected, but that's mainly for sentimental reasons. Then there are other maintainence questions. When was the last oil change, the last time the carbs were gone through and cleaned. Does it have stock carbs or have larger carbs been put on it? Why does your friend want to sell it?

Send a PM to Mellvis if you'd like more info. He's a great SR guy to talk to.

Take care and good luck!! Let us know if you get it and make sure you get lots of pics. I'd kinda like to see it anyway!!

Abbie
KZ is Japanese for COOL!!!

Morrow, Ohio

Mom
Wife
Teacher

79' kz650sr 17 Aug 2007 05:23 #164404

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
  • Thank you received: 11
I have to agree with Abbie $1500 is too high. One thing that will affect the value somewhat is the area of the country you are located in. A member here posted a similar question to yours a short time ago about the same bike. Here is a link kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab.../catid,13/id,155702/

He ended up getting it for $800.00 here is a link to another thread that has some pics of it so you can compare it to what you have your sights set on.
kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab.../id,157232/catid,11/

Post edited by: The Gringo, at: 2007/08/17 08:25
Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

• Page: