Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

can I handle it? 13 Aug 2007 20:57 #163703

• JAWZ
  • JAWZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So, I've got a 72 kz750 that I havn't had running since 98. My dad is usually my go to guy for stuff like this but he has been too busy all summer. I would like to get it running so I can ride it before winter comes so that I can paint it over the winter. I do have knowledge of all of the workings, I just concerned that I'll tear it apart and not be able to get it back together. So what do you think? Will I be able to get it running by myself?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

can I handle it? 13 Aug 2007 21:20 #163710

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
If you have any mechanical inclination at all you should have no problem. The bikes aren't that commplicated, just need a little tlc. If you run into any problems you know we will be here to help you.
GET IT RUNNING and
Ride Safe

Post edited by: The Milkman, at: 2007/08/14 00:20
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

can I handle it? 13 Aug 2007 21:26 #163712

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
  • Thank you received: 1
First thing is get a full service manual for it.

Then read it.

If you feel pretty confident, dive in and feel safe knowing there's usually about 50 life guards watching around here!;)

Then if you drown, call me. I'll come take all the pieces off your hands:evil:

My motto: If it ain't broke... break it! How else are you gonna learn how to fix it? (except for those swiss watch thingies)
77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

can I handle it? 13 Aug 2007 22:05 #163715

• Makarth
  • User
make sure to be a neat freak. little bit of order goes a long way. i go probably to far by having a bolt tray box and put the bolts in place respective to their location on engines.:blush: otherwise like said before, these things are a snap just take your time and make sure you set a realistic deadline. and although i have idea where you live... make sure to hydrate theres been heatwaves in the southern states we've had a couple people die from the heat here in the memphis area.

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)

can I handle it? 13 Aug 2007 22:43 #163717

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
  • Thank you received: 3
Get a bunch of Gallon size ziploc freezer bags (the ones with the white label on them) and a Sharpie marker. I use these to store and label small parts as they are removed. Makes putting things back together much easier when they are all carefully labeled.

Post edited by: Skyman, at: 2007/08/14 01:45
West Linn, OR

can I handle it? 13 Aug 2007 23:25 #163721

• Virii
  • User
  • I like cheese
I second the freezer bags. I'd say:

Manual

Bags and sharpie

Digital camera

Pad and paper

Your best friends. When I took apart an old Yamaha (my first teardown and rebuild), I documented everything along the way, putting the parts in individual sandwhich bags/freezer bags. Photograph it before you take it apart and document it with pad and paper. I was really glad I did, or I'd probably have had to sort through my "bucket o screws" later to find the one I needed otherwise.

That may seem obvious, but my Suzuki GS550 came to me a basket case. I had all the parts but every....single....screw....was in one solitary coffee can.

Gee, thanks..........

Maybe this is a personal and delusional observation but I've found that Haynes and Chilton seem to....disagree? Consider the source of your manual. ;)

Post edited by: Virii, at: 2007/08/14 02:25
Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

can I handle it? 14 Aug 2007 02:58 #163731

• quader98
  • User
baggie and label,baggie and label,baggie and label...pics,pics,pics,i didnt:angry:.don't bye the haynes manual,imo it sux get the owners manual and ive noticed theres a prep manual also that looks interesting.label every freaking wire you unplug...good luck
Ernie from central jersey
82 GPZ 750 R1
looking to part out my 81 KZ750E2

can I handle it? 14 Aug 2007 07:06 #163774

• JAWZ
  • JAWZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the boost of confidence. The thing that I'm most worried about is that it has been sitting for 10 years. I am mechanical and was definitly planning on the digital camera tip.

My big thing is where do I start? Take the carbs off and clean them out? What about replacements? I've been looking around for a couple of weeks and can't find anything. Wont I need to replace the gaskets if nothing else?

I've got some pics from my first rebuild of it when I had some help. They are from before my digital camera days, I'll see if I can get them scanned in. I'm pretty proud of it especially since it was bought for 10 bucks.

Thanks guys

can I handle it? 14 Aug 2007 07:30 #163783

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
Are u sure u need to take it apart? does it turn over?if yes then i would not take it apart.if it does u can have the carbs cleaned at a shop,clean the tank(if u get it working u may want to seal the tank latter,thats a wohle other topic for disscusion) install a good fuel filter then give it a go.there is no need to take it apart unless u know there is a problem.if the pistons are siezed u can try addind wd40 or something(im sure the guys here know of some cure for this,there are lots of products available) through the spark plug holes and let it soak for a week then try again.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

can I handle it? 14 Aug 2007 14:45 #163888

• Mellvis
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Have faith! These bikes arefairly simple. First a manual and a few evenings reading. Like someone else said, be as organized as you can!! Some parts can take for ever to replace if lost or broken. Don't be in any hury. If the bike has sat since 98, a few more weeks or months won't make a difference.

And most importantly......

WE NEED PICTURES!!!!

That is a big thing on KZR. Another big hint is to put your location and as much info about your bike as you can in your signature. It helps determine who can help you and what bike we are talking about.
Welcome and good luck.

• Page: