Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Motorcycle etiquette question 26 Jul 2007 11:40 #159855

• Gosling1
  • User
  • Whats behind you is not important
  • Thank you received: 1
And flinch when your'e halfway around a corner in the inside lane with a box truck beside you
1983 KZ1100A Shaftee box stock.
A herd of Bultacos to play in the dirt with. Arvada, Colorado
Kick it in the guts Berry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Motorcycle etiquette question 26 Jul 2007 13:09 #159880

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
I can't wave, ' cause I got no place to set the beer. :silly:
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Motorcycle etiquette question 26 Jul 2007 13:18 #159881

• abilane78
  • User
  • Brought to you today by the letters K and Z.
  • Thank you received: 0
Jobs of the Pillion (coming from a long-time Pillion)

1. Point out the goofy stuff, (ie, squids on crotch rockets wearing bermuda shorts and flip flops)
2. Wave (as we all just discussed)
3. Catch things that fall out of the pockets of the operator.
4. Catch parts (like sidecovers) that come off, like for instance if the rubber grommets are missing.
5. Head butt to the back of the head when you come to a sudden stop (wow, that kinda stings)
6. Signal a turn, sometimes with animated turn signals, you'd just have to see it...
7. Point out the location of cops.
8. Provide eye candy to cars behind you if they're wearing a thong and low-rise jeans (this applies to women, or I guess to some men if you all fly thataway)
9. Duck down low behind the operator during sudden rainstorms and be glad they aren't in front!
10. Hold the beer (I'm just kidding sorta )
11. Pass a beverage to the pillion on the bike next door from out of the saddlebag lined with plastic and filled with ice.
12. And for the more brazen pillion, it is her job, her mandatory sentence, to do publicly unacceptible things such as flashing, obscene hand jestures, and other devious activities. (this especially applies to truckers on the interstate...)
13. Oh and most importantly, to look good.... A pillion makes that sissy bar not look quite as goofy.

In my case the pillion job is also to hold the spare clear riding glasses for us both in my inside jacket pocket for when we're out past sundown. I'm also known to blow kisses in addition to the wave, but that's only on very special occasions (see number 12.)
KZ is Japanese for COOL!!!

Morrow, Ohio

Mom
Wife
Teacher

Motorcycle etiquette question 26 Jul 2007 13:53 #159886

• DesertWizardB1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
loudhvx wrote:

I get the rare, occasional wave from Harley guys, but usually only from the older, experienced Harley guys. Not really the weekend warrior, pretend 1% guys.

I noticed the same thing. The older Harley riders will usually wave back if they are alone. A guy on a metric cruiser or sport bikes will almost alway wave back. But get a pack of weekend riders on their new Harleys and no one even notices your there. It doesn't matter to me, I always wave unless my clutch hand is busy then I nod.
Len

77 KZ 1000 LTD Original Owner

Motorcycle etiquette question 26 Jul 2007 14:00 #159887

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
I do a lot of interstate riding and wave over the medians and jersey barriers. I have different waves that change due to the visibility and or possibility of being not seen.

Am I the only person who touches my helmet with the left index before open handedly holding the wave out? (I'll need to consider the 'mistaken for a hand signal' aspect of this now)

I have considered sewing a flourescent yellow smiley face across the first three fingers of my left driving glove (cut in three strips for the fingers of course.) That way I could just extend my fingers up off of the handle grip to flash a smiley. Corny-ass mutha #^$#*&.

I too wave at all bikes, even scooters. It is funny to see the deer in the headlights look on those open faced helmets when they get props from a larger bike and are not sure how to react.

I think it is good for cars to see that we are all looking out for each other.

Post edited by: Qdude, at: 2007/07/26 17:05
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Motorcycle etiquette question 26 Jul 2007 14:36 #159895

• DrMotorBoat
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
For the people that don't wave back I figure it is because they don't know me yet. :whistle:

Sometimes (if I am going no place in particular) I will ride along with their group for a while. My bike is pretty loud so I don't have to make conversation at stops, which I assume would be them telling me to get my "jap crap" (I live near detroit) away from their harley, and they typically will wave when I split off. At least I always assume they are waving.:pinch:
1981 KZ 440 LTD

Motorcycle etiquette question 26 Jul 2007 15:09 #159907

• Virii
  • User
  • I like cheese
abilane78 wrote:

Jobs of the Pillion (coming from a long-time Pillion)
8. Provide eye candy to cars behind you if they're wearing a thong and low-rise jeans (this applies to women, or I guess to some men if you all fly thataway)
12. And for the more brazen pillion, it is her job, her mandatory sentence, to do publicly unacceptible things such as flashing, obscene hand jestures, and other devious activities. (this especially applies to truckers on the interstate...)

Yes! I wholeheartedly agree! I strongly maintain that until she makes good on her statement that she's going to get her endorsement, she needs to be the hot girl on the back (because a girl on her own bike is sexy, regardless).
Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

Motorcycle etiquette question 26 Jul 2007 15:15 #159909

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
I don't know....
Some of the girls I've seen on the back of some Harleys... real meat & potatos types, if you know what I mean.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

27 Jul 2007 12:51 #160106

• KZ250LTD
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.

Last edit: by KZ250LTD.