Supermoto: dirtbike or not dirtbike?

More
24 Dec 2007 08:16 #186266 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic Supermoto: dirtbike or not dirtbike?
seanof30306 wrote:

I bought my KZ650 in July. I still haven't gotten it to run right. I was out riding it the other night to see if my latest efforts to straighten out it's problems had worked.

We recently had a massive ice storm here, so the street lights were out, and there was a lot of small, loose tree debris left over from where they picked all the downed branches up.

edit: There was no ice on the road when this happened. The roads were dry.

I was going very slowly, but, the rear stepped out while i was going around a corner. I instinctively put my left foot down and countersteered, bringing it back around, but, it kept going around and tried to high-side me. I stuck my right foot down, countersteered again, and saved it, but, I just hated how heavy it felt. I've always ridden big thumpers in the past, and miss the lightness of their handling.

Even with on/off road tires, my TT500 handled better than my KZ650, and would have been a lot easier to handle in a situation like what I ran into the other night.

If I ever get this thing running right, and I can ever come close to getting somewhere near what I have in it back out, Ive decided I'm going to go with a thumper. There's nothing wrong with my KZ (other than the fact that I can't get it running right), but, for the kind of riding I do, a super motard is a better choice.<br><br>Post edited by: seanof30306, at: 2007/12/24 01:05

Some thoughts: Your KZ650 will never run right...give it to me and it will never bother you again...:whistle:

There is nothing you will ever be able to do to your KZ650 to make it as light as a TT500/550/600, etc... ...give it to me and your handling gremlins will be gone...:lol:

Normally you'll never get close to what you have in a project out of it:blink: ...quit now, gimme your bike, and you'll be money ahead...:evil:

So, as you can see, by giving me your bike, you will save yourself some handling frustrations, tuning frustrations, and lots of money. Yes, I am your new best friend...now, gimme the KZ and I'll get you a Christmas card right out in the mail.

:laugh: :woohoo: :laugh:

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2007 13:13 #186289 by seanof30306
Replied by seanof30306 on topic Supermoto: dirtbike or not dirtbike?
Bad Kaw wrote:

seanof30306 wrote:

I bought my KZ650 in July. I still haven't gotten it to run right. I was out riding it the other night to see if my latest efforts to straighten out it's problems had worked.

We recently had a massive ice storm here, so the street lights were out, and there was a lot of small, loose tree debris left over from where they picked all the downed branches up.

I was going very slowly, but, the rear stepped out while i was going around a corner. I instinctively put my left foot down and countersteered, bringing it back around, but, it kept going around and tried to high-side me. I stuck my right foot down, countersteered again, and saved it, but, I just hated how heavy it felt. I've always ridden big thumpers in the past, and miss the lightness of their handling.

Even with on/off road tires, my TT500 handled better than my KZ650, and would have been a lot easier to handle in a situation like what I ran into the other night.

If I ever get this thing running right, and I can ever come close to getting somewhere near what I have in it back out, Ive decided I'm going to go with a thumper. There's nothing wrong with my KZ (other than the fact that I can't get it running right), but, for the kind of riding I do, a super motard is a better choice.<br><br>Post edited by: seanof30306, at: 2007/12/24 01:05

Some thoughts: Your KZ650 will never run right...give it to me and it will never bother you again...:whistle:

There is nothing you will ever be able to do to your KZ650 to make it as light as a TT500/550/600, etc... ...give it to me and your handling gremlins will be gone...:lol:

Normally you'll never get close to what you have in a project out of it:blink: ...quit now, gimme your bike, and you'll be money ahead...:evil:

So, as you can see, by giving me your bike, you will save yourself some handling frustrations, tuning frustrations, and lots of money. Yes, I am your new best friend...now, gimme the KZ and I'll get you a Christmas card right out in the mail.

Will it be one of those cards that play music when you open it up?

"That @#$%!!! KZ650"
79 KZ650 B3
Dual front disc brakes
Z1R 18" front wheel
Pumper carbs w/pods
MAC 4-1 w/ drilled-out baffle
Dyna S ignition w/ Dyna Green coils
WG coil mod
'81 CSR charging system
17/41 gearing

More
25 Dec 2007 18:15 #186380 by Wildh2oskier
Replied by Wildh2oskier on topic Supermoto: dirtbike or not dirtbike?
Its way easier to make a rideable streetbike out of a dirt than vice versa. Of course it is going to get spanked in the dirt by real dirtbikes and on the street by real streetbikes.
Its the worst of both worlds combined.

More
25 Dec 2007 22:50 #186400 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic Supermoto: dirtbike or not dirtbike?
seanof30306 wrote:

Bad Kaw wrote:

seanof30306 wrote:

Will it be one of those cards that play music when you open it up?

Ha, ha! :laugh: Brother, you give me your KZ650 and it'll paint your house, mow your yard, and kick your daughter's boy-friend in the junk!:ohmy:

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)