• Page:

TOPIC:

Drag Racing Tips? 05 Jul 2007 17:01 #154938

• Z1R rider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
kawtoy wrote:

Barber wrote:

My reaction time and my bikes reaction time would net me .01's, and .02 reaction times.. .

I hope you meant .510-.520 reaction times. .01 reaction time would mean you left about .49 seconds before you should have and you would have seen a nice bright RED light.

depends on the track's timing system, on some .500 is perfect and on others .000 is what your looking for.
I always use a street tire at 30 psi,(running low pressure in a street tire deforms the footprint) and just spin it enough to clean the dust and pebbles off, not to heat it, then go right to stagin. I leave on the last yellow light on a .500 tree. :) reaction times vary with coffee intake :laugh: 60's are 1.7s & 1.8s
1978 KZ1000, Z1R
1999 250 Ninja race bike
2013 WR250F, fun in the dirt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Drag Racing Tips? 06 Jul 2007 21:14 #155228

• dnyce
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Barber wrote:

To be good at the lights, you have to learn "your" bike.. i.e. it's reaction time, what it's going to do, ect...

My advice would be...

1.. good burn out, no dry hops afterwards.. pull straight to the line and stage..

2.. use the front brake to stop, not to stay there... that's what your feet are for...

3.. ONLY use ONE finger on the clutch lever... reason being is that it is damn near impossible to "pop" it that way.. and you don't want to pop it, you want to slide it off the line... put down as much power as you can without spinning....

4.. stage before the other guy does... this gives you a few more seconds to get ready.. i.e. get your body positioned, get your RPM's up, and get focused on the lights....

5.. watch the lights and the light's only... Back when I dragraced every weekend, I would leave when the last yellow light was on at it's very brightest.. My reaction time and my bikes reaction time would net me .01's, and .02 reaction times..

6.. Keep as much body weight as far forward as possible..... It's hard to win races when your looking at the sky..

7.. Have fun...

gd stuff mostly, i just wana say if you're gona be actually racing and not just fun runs, skip number 4. if your always staging 1st, your competitors will catch on and use that against u, by staging 1st and making u rush, therefore disrupting your routine and possibly causing a bad reaction- you should be ready when u lite up the second set of bulbs whether or not you went in before the other guy or not.

the one finger clutch thing is a new one for me...but if it works, go 4 it. i use all 4 fingers-ultimate control.

#7 is the main one, never forget it!

Drag Racing Tips? 07 Jul 2007 05:42 #155281

• Barber
  • User
kawtoy wrote:

Barber wrote:

My reaction time and my bikes reaction time would net me .01's, and .02 reaction times.. .

I hope you meant .510-.520 reaction times. .01 reaction time would mean you left about .49 seconds before you should have and you would have seen a nice bright RED light.

The track I raced at a .000 was perfect... I guess I should have clarified this in my post..
Green 76 Z900 A4

Drag Racing Tips? 07 Jul 2007 05:49 #155284

• Barber
  • User
dnyce wrote:

gd stuff mostly, i just wana say if you're gona be actually racing and not just fun runs, skip number 4. if your always staging 1st, your competitors will catch on and use that against u, by staging 1st and making u rush, therefore disrupting your routine and possibly causing a bad reaction- you should be ready when u lite up the second set of bulbs whether or not you went in before the other guy or not.

the one finger clutch thing is a new one for me...but if it works, go 4 it. i use all 4 fingers-ultimate control.

#7 is the main one, never forget it!

The only reason I told him to stage first is that he's learning, and it gives him a little more time to get ready...

The one finger launch works great... been using it for years... but you do have to have a strong finger..

And yes.. #7 is the most important of them all...

Post edited by: Barber, at: 2007/07/07 08:52
Green 76 Z900 A4

Drag Racing Tips? 07 Jul 2007 17:18 #155360

• dnyce
  • User
is your lever cut down too? im guessin you use your middle finger rite? i tryed the two finger technique, but after awhile it was workin my fingers to much, (heavy springs-cramped up in the finals, redlite)

ill giveit a shot anyway

Post edited by: dnyce, at: 2007/07/07 20:20

Drag Racing Tips? 07 Jul 2007 21:56 #155397

• Barber
  • User
I use my trigger finger... But I run a Easy-Pull Clutch System on my bike as well... That way no matter how stiff your springs are, you can still use one finger....

Get you one of these and try it...
www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?...tment=656&Division=6
Green 76 Z900 A4

Drag Racing Tips? 08 Jul 2007 08:40 #155440

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Where does that mount at? Do you have to get shorter cables? How much difference does it really make?
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

Drag Racing Tips? 08 Jul 2007 10:28 #155455

• Barber
  • User
Right up beside the clutch lever... your clutch cable goes in one side, and a really short cable goes in the other.... and It's only about 3/4 inches wide, so it really doesn't take up much room...

It makes quite a bit of difference... there are two different settings(holes) and I have mine set up on the easiest.... basicly it's a fulcrum point with various holes in the lever to attach the cables...

They were designed for dirtbikes, which is the way I was introduced to them...
Green 76 Z900 A4

Drag Racing Tips? 09 Jul 2007 17:26 #155766

• dnyce
  • User
oh, thats how u do it with one finger...i rode a bike with the ez pull, didnt like it. seemed like it lost the true clutch feeling, to me anyway.

Drag Racing Tips? 09 Jul 2007 20:06 #155812

• Barber
  • User
I did it without the easy pull on it too, but like you said after a few rounds your finger gets a little tired.... thats the reason I went with the easy pull system...

And yes it does take a little getting use to... but after you run it awhile you get use to it and can feel it just like a regular clutch set up.....
Green 76 Z900 A4

Drag Racing Tips? 10 Jul 2007 22:27 #156069

• dnyce
  • User
assuming they're pretty reasonably priced, id actually try one out based on what u said-but im eventually gonna get a lock-up clutch so it would be kinda pointless in my case.

• Page: