Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Drag Racing Tips? 04 Jul 2007 21:17 #154797

• reborn650
  • reborn650's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Hey Gang - So I am planning on heading up to the 1/8th drags next weekend. Last year was my first time and launching from the Christmas tree takes a little getting used to compared to coming off a stoplight. Must be something to do with the adrenaline once the yellows start flashing.

So this year I am looking to fine tune my launch and shifting. I will be trying to come off the line around 4 grand to get a good jump. I won't be shifting with the clutch, just rolling off the throttle and upshifting.

So do you veterans keep your hand on the front brake once you have staged? The launch area is nice and flat so there shouldn't be any roll back if I am steady with my feet planted.

I was thinking about the time I lost last year timing the letting off the brake and release of the clutch lever. Add this to shifting with the clutch and I figure that I my technique was costing me some time.

I ran 8.9 last year (my rookie attempt) with a bad flat spot around 7 grand. This year I have upgraded the carbs from the Mikuni 28's to 29 smoothbores and and Gpz cams so I should be turning quicker times, especially with some pointers from the veterans.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada
-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Drag Racing Tips? 04 Jul 2007 22:22 #154805

• kawsakiman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
you got a killer bike collin
time to buy a two stage for it
see my post ny international raceway park
that guy was kicking ass on a stock 650
someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

Drag Racing Tips? 05 Jul 2007 01:45 #154813

• dnyce
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
unless you've perfected the clutchless upshift, just use the clutch. you're gonna get your time to drop the most by improving your 60ft time-dont bother holdin the brake, dont need to. get to wot as soon as u can, control how much power gets to the ground with the clutch-slip it alil, but dont burn it up lol

Drag Racing Tips? 05 Jul 2007 01:57 #154815

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Heat your tire up real good and let some air pressure out. You should be able to launch at around 6500. Personally I like to get a little tire spin off the line to keep me awake. :woohoo:
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Drag Racing Tips? 05 Jul 2007 02:00 #154816

• markmeinteil
  • User
If you are proficient with the clutchless upsifts, then go for it. It will definitely help you out. But as dnyce said, if you suck at it, it's gonna cost you more time than if you just shift with the clutch lever.

Post edited by: markmeinteil, at: 2007/07/05 05:01

Drag Racing Tips? 05 Jul 2007 06:26 #154839

• brianrae33
  • User
going to the 1/8 this weekend..best time with the rebuild is 8.3..3 tenths slower then last year...but in my bikes defense..having trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground in 1st-3rd...:woohoo:
1982 kz1000ltd

Drag Racing Tips? 05 Jul 2007 09:34 #154859

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
I never could shift without the clutch when drag racing unless there was a air shifter on the bike, you might even consider a pair of struts for the rear, we used to make them out of 1 inch alum, it seemed to help the tranfer to the rear tire
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Drag Racing Tips? 05 Jul 2007 10:09 #154865

• dnyce
  • User
id say try about 20psi in the rear, and as far as what rpm to leave at, it depends on what the track will hold. i normally leave at about 7200, but when the track is alil slick, i have to drop down to around maybe 6200 to get the same 60ft times i would usually get. experiment, play with it, trial and error. what works for others may not work for you, ya know? personally when i stage, i bring the prestage bulbs on, tuck down, roll on the gas til im at 7200, and then roll forward and lite the bottom bulb. the instant i see those three ambers start to lite up, im gone. some guys dont like to tuck down til they hit 2nd gear, others dont like to rev it up until everyone is completly staged, etc. do whatever makes you comfortable, because the more comfortable you are, the smoother you are, and the smoother you are, the faster you'll go. and we all wana go fast rite? B)

Drag Racing Tips? 05 Jul 2007 10:21 #154867

• Barber
  • User
To be good at the lights, you have to learn "your" bike.. i.e. it's reaction time, what it's going to do, ect...

My advice would be...

1.. good burn out, no dry hops afterwards.. pull straight to the line and stage..

2.. use the front brake to stop, not to stay there... that's what your feet are for...

3.. ONLY use ONE finger on the clutch lever... reason being is that it is damn near impossible to "pop" it that way.. and you don't want to pop it, you want to slide it off the line... put down as much power as you can without spinning....

4.. stage before the other guy does... this gives you a few more seconds to get ready.. i.e. get your body positioned, get your RPM's up, and get focused on the lights....

5.. watch the lights and the light's only... Back when I dragraced every weekend, I would leave when the last yellow light was on at it's very brightest.. My reaction time and my bikes reaction time would net me .01's, and .02 reaction times..

6.. Keep as much body weight as far forward as possible..... It's hard to win races when your looking at the sky..

7.. Have fun...
Green 76 Z900 A4

Drag Racing Tips? 05 Jul 2007 14:20 #154903

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
screw your back tire to rim in a few spots,it sucks ripping valve stem off from tire spinning on rim from low air pressure;)
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Drag Racing Tips? 05 Jul 2007 14:31 #154908

• partsman
  • User
your best bet is to
1. find the oldest guy at the strip you run on, he's probably their every weekend, and his bike is probably fairly plain, but watch his times, his reaction time's and E.T's are probably so consistent it's scary. Introduce your self and your "noobieness" and ask for some help, he's been there and WILL understand your jitter's.

2. Don't race on junk tire's! If you ride your bike up there and your gonna make a couple of run's and that's it, there's no need to buy a drag specific tire, but contrary to popular belief, the soft drag tire's will last longer than a "street" tire.(But it also is a "drag" tire and is'nt suited for routine street use) 3 of 4 proper burnouts on a "bargain" street tire or even a name brand and it's going to drastically reduce it's life expectancy.
3. HAVE FUN. Your not qualifying for a national event. You will make mistake's but pay attention and you'll learn from them and have a great time in the process.

Drag Racing Tips? 05 Jul 2007 14:34 #154909

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Barber wrote:

My reaction time and my bikes reaction time would net me .01's, and .02 reaction times.. .

I hope you meant .510-.520 reaction times. .01 reaction time would mean you left about .49 seconds before you should have and you would have seen a nice bright RED light.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

• Page: