KZ650 Sleeper Build (KZ1000 engine transplant)

More
25 May 2024 00:47 #899683 by Rolf1976_KZ900
Replied by Rolf1976_KZ900 on topic KZ650 Sleeper Build (KZ1000 engine transplant)
I also use zipties and for breaking the bead i use a small jack.

• Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    22 Jun 2024 10:13 - 22 Jun 2024 10:15 #901111 by Injected
    Replied by Injected on topic KZ650 Sleeper Build (KZ1000 engine transplant)
    I am getting back on this project soon.

I am looking into the rear tire issue and the finish on the head/barrel/exhaust head pipes that is holding me up on putting the engine together.

I am making arrangements to get my cylinder head, barrel, and head pipes media blasted at a friends place. I am going to try using some crushed walnut shells/glass bead. Not having any luck with chemical strippers, they are all too weak these days. The head and barrel paint is the most stubborn I have ever run across.

My friends media blast setup is a portable outdoor unit mainly used for vehicle frames etc. (not ideal)

I got a quote from a local guy my motor guru suggested, he does chemical strip and vapor/glass bead blasting. The quote he gave me on the barrel/head was $240-$475 depending on paint adherence.

I decided for that price I could buy my own new bench top blast cabinet and bring it to my buddies shop as I don't have a compressor setup big enough to power it for extended lengths of time.

The new cabinet is on route and will need to be assembled/modded. I am going to pimp out the portable cabinet with a bunch of mods I saw on YouTube.

Last edit: 22 Jun 2024 10:15 by Injected. Reason: info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    22 Jun 2024 10:33 #901113 by Moose1800
    Replied by Moose1800 on topic KZ650 Sleeper Build (KZ1000 engine transplant)
    My advice is don’t bother with the crushed walnut shells , I have tried it and it’s not aggressive enough to do what you want. It would be fine for final finish blast.

More
    22 Jun 2024 15:37 #901146 by Injected

My advice is don’t bother with the crushed walnut shells , I have tried it and it’s not aggressive enough to do what you want. It would be fine for final finish blast.

Yes, I was already advised to use the glass bead for paint removal then the walnut shells to dull the finish down.

More
    23 Jun 2024 19:04 #901210 by Vinsky
    I tried Klean Strip premium on a kz1000 valve cover that had been powder coated. Actually it worked very well. Under the powder coat was some badly pitted chrome. It is now powder coated again and looks good.

Vinsky
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Injected

More
    25 Jun 2024 11:43 #901311 by Injected

I tried Klean Strip premium on a kz1000 valve cover that had been powder coated. Actually it worked very well. Under the powder coat was some badly pitted chrome. It is now powder coated again and looks good.

Thanks for the suggestion but I can't get that brand up here in Canada.

The blast cabinet showed up today and it needs to be assembled just like a BBQ :)

No issue with the assembly as I have mods in mind right off the hop. I have a small 3 gallon shop vac that will be perfect to hook up to this unit so I bought a cyclone dust collector tower. I also want to assemble a better media siphon as it comes with a "tube inside a tube" type. The gun also needs some mods to make it better.

• Wookie58
    • Away
    More
    25 Jun 2024 15:30 #901328 by Wookie58
    Replied by Wookie58 on topic KZ650 Sleeper Build (KZ1000 engine transplant)

Thanks for the suggestion but I can't get that brand up here in Canada.

The blast cabinet showed up today and it needs to be assembled just like a BBQ :)

No issue with the assembly as I have mods in mind right off the hop. I have a small 3 gallon shop vac that will be perfect to hook up to this unit so I bought a cyclone dust collector tower. I also want to assemble a better media siphon as it comes with a "tube inside a tube" type. The gun also needs some mods to make it better.

"make it better" is a disease Lol

• Kelly E
    • User
    • Never Give Up. Never Surrender
    More
    25 Jun 2024 16:37 #901332 by Kelly E
    When you assemble the cabinet use silicone sealant for metal. Full length beads and a circle around every bolt hole to keep the dust inside the cabinet. I also added extra lights inside so I can actually see.

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
    1974 Honda CB 550 K0
    1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport
    1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD
    1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
    1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
    1983 Honda CB 1100F
    1984 Honda Sabre 700
    1984 Honda Interceptor 1000
    1990 Moto Guzzi 1000
    1994 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours

And more
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Injected

More
    26 Jun 2024 13:51 #901379 by Injected
    Yep, the lighting and vacuum are top mods as the stock stuff they include with the cabinet are garbage. There are a lot of parts I have squirreled away I can use on this rather than buying duplicates, it just takes time to dig them out! All kinds of regulators, NPT fittings, ball valves, hoses, etc. Junk acquired over 35 years in the same house that I never got rid of. It will be a little side project over the weekend.

More
    15 Jul 2024 14:08 - 15 Jul 2024 14:08 #902168 by Injected
    I am going to a friends shop tomorrow night to try out my new blast cabinet.

I bought some 60-80 grit glass bead to use, I decided not to use walnut shells and just knock down any sheen with #00 steel wool.

The cabinet is just big enough to fit the head pipes of my welded exhaust. 

I am going to blast the cylinder head, barrel, cam cover, and head pipes. I need to spend some time tomorrow masking off those parts.

Will post some pics once I get back.
    Last edit: 15 Jul 2024 14:08 by Injected. Reason: sp
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Vinsky

More
    17 Jul 2024 17:23 - 17 Jul 2024 17:24 #902287 by Injected
    So the blasting night did not go as planned, it was more experimental than anything with not much work being accomplished. Here is the setup :

Got going only to find that the media was clumping in the transfer tubing, tried to throttle the incoming air and switching up supply air PSI to no avail. Was getting a tiny bit of the test piece (cam cover) cleaned but not as good as expected. Decided to run out to the hardware store and get a ball valve to restrict the media flow which helped somewhat.

Then decide to try the same 60/80 glass bead in my friend portable tank unit, as we discovered his nozzle tips were much smaller. The smallest tip mine came with was a .18" ID and his was .09" ID. Ran my media with his tip at the same 90 PSI and it started to cut better.

That was only 2-3 minutes of blasting total loss outside under his back shop porch in some brutal heat and humidity! It still needs work but at least we confirmed that the media is OK, but my nozzle tips are WAY too big. That basically ended the evenings fun because now I need to fabricate some steel nozzle tip inserts to fit on the end of my gun inside those pink ceramic ends.

Learned a few things about the blast cabinet during this session, had a few beers and decided I would come back when I get my equipment sorted. Hopefully it will be cooler out temperature wise when I return, thunderstorms every day the last couple of days with localized flooding! Not ideal blasting weather.

The cabinet worked great, no dust with the vacuum on. Once I get the tip size dialed in it will be much better and hopefully get these parts finished once and for all!

• Last edit: 17 Jul 2024 17:24 by Injected. Reason: sp
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Vinsky, sf4t7, Scirocco, howardhb, Wookie58

More
    18 Jul 2024 07:50 #902302 by Vinsky
    I like your ingenuity. I added a vibratory motor to the outside of the cabinet near the bottom. It stopped the clogging and gives a constant flow of media now.

Vinsky
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Injected, sf4t7