About 6 months ago I picked this old girl up for $600 from a guy up the road from me, said he was getting on in years, had a few injuries and wasn't able to ride anymore. Must have tossed around the idea of selling her for quite some time, the last time she was registered (or ridden) was 2018! In any case, she's been sitting outside ever since then, not covered or anything. The seat is torn and the cushion is damn near solid. The grips are falling apart. Who knows what's up with the tires (they seem to be holding air). She definitely looked like hell when I got her home. The wet weather here in Washington tends to grow moss on anything that sits still for more than a month, and her red paint definitely had that tell-tale fuzzy green blanket.
She turned over fine, but couldn't get running. The battery was TIRED for sure. Got a new battery and did the usual fluid refresh. Once I started digging in I found a LOT of odd splices and disconnected wiring going who-knows-where. After much deliberation and about 20 hours of YouTube videos, I decided to strip out the loom and do a full refresh. That's gonna be the bulk of this project, I'm sure.
Rough plan, in no particular order, is this:
- full wiring refresh, removing anything deemed unnecessary
- clean, treat rust, and repaint the frame
- remove the Vetter gear, restore for resale (wink wink)
- new fuel lines, cables etc.
- new tires
- maybe a little fabrication if I wanna get creative
Anyway, here's a few pics to get the thread started! I'll be posting updates as I get the time.