Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Zn700 project bike 14 Jan 2022 11:24 #860523

• CajemeWobblie
  • CajemeWobblie's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Picked this up for $70 with title. Was previously chopped and some parts were sold along the way so it’s gonna be an intensive build/restore.

First set of pictures is the bike in the condition it came in. Next set is cracking open the calipers and controls for a deep clean and rebuild.

Basically working front to back on this project. The plan is to restore as much as I can of the bike and then fab additional components and buy what I can’t make. Not gonna be restoring it to the original condition or focused on buying oem only parts, cause the immediate goal is to make it operational. Deciding on the aesthetics is secondary for me. 
1984 Zn 700, 2000 Rebel 250
Tucson, Az

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Zn700 project bike 14 Jan 2022 15:51 #860525

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
Looks like you have your work cut out for yourself.

The caliper pistons should come out and replace the lines and seals (at minimum.)

Those hand controls look like junk.  There are lots of them on ebay though, so that much is good.

Zn700 project bike 14 Jan 2022 17:45 #860529

• CajemeWobblie
  • User
Oh definitely. Had my niece helping me do a full rebuild of the calipers today, replaced all seals and boots, new pistons and pads etc. 
Stripped down the calipers bare and spent two days cleaning everything in between jobs.

Im gonna redo all the internals on the controls tomorrow (I have lots of electrical and switch components around from other jobs/projects) so no cost to me to replace and wire all the internals and make the housing look brand new. Got the little one learning electrical work too.
Tucson, Az
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

Zn700 project bike 14 Jan 2022 20:19 #860531

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
I rebuilt several of those controls.  They are not difficult to refurbish, however there are some small balls and such which can get lost in all that mud!

BTW, I bought a few hand controls off ebay specifically because the housing lettering was clear and pretty!  I then took the best guts of the lot and put together some controls.

P1010498 by nessism , on Flickr

P1010495 by nessism , on Flickr
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skidmark

Last edit: by Nessism.

Zn700 project bike 13 Feb 2022 09:39 #862245

• CajemeWobblie
  • User
Been a little busy with work so haven’t had time to update (back to back 12s).

Finished the refurb on the controls replaced parts as needed and didn’t lose any of the small bits luckily. 

Traded handle bars with one of the guys from the crew on my last job so no more Harley drag bars.

Started working on the exhaust, rebuilt mounting points for the seat since some had been lost to previous owners mods. All brakes got full rebuilds and new lines and got new tires on. 

Fixing to remove the engine for cleaning and rebuild when my brother in law has free time to help me. Having trouble finding carbs so if anyone has recommendations on where to hunt then down besides eBay or alternatives to the oem carbs I’d appreciate it. Traded some mini bike parts/work with a local for new gauges. 

Had one of the nephews for a few days so we worked on the mini bikes instead on my last few days off work.
Tucson, Az

• Page: