Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Stock '82 KZ1000 LTD Restore and refresh 09 Mar 2021 17:27 #844649

• OldKowLTD
  • OldKowLTD's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
This is the old bike that's been sitting in the back of the shop collecting dust (and mice). We figured out that the last time it ran was 17 years ago.
It is finally time to slowly begin trying to get her on the road. As advised by you, it sat for three days with Marvel oil on top of the pistons. It rolled over fairly easy by hand today. .
I've changed the oil and filter, pulled air box and changed filter, pulled the tank and have begun cleaning it up. There was about a quart of old gas in the tank. Ain't I lucky? I dumped it and added fresh gas with Marvel oil to keep it from rusting. Since there's currently little signs of rust, I may be able to skip the evaporust treatment. I'll know more once I scope it. I know there is old gas gunk in the bottom of the tank so I plan to soak/flush with dilute Berryman's before refilling with gas after cleaning. Do I need to pull the fuel level sending unit and blank it off before the Berrymans? Replacement sending units are way expensive. I have a petcock rebuild kit arriving this week anyway (#2 cylinder was carboned up). The new Yuasa should be here tomorrow along with various lubricants and such.

I'll be staying with the stock 630 o'ring drive chain and would appreciate any recommended brand (or which to avoid). Before I make it go, I've gotta take some remedial action on brakes. I don't know yet what's this buggered up mess is gonna require.
Seems front master cylinders are hard to find. We'll see. Hopefully I can just replace the diaphragm and cover screws and move on to calipers. New tires are further down the list for now but considering Metzeler Roadtec 01 will fit the bill without breaking the bank. Welp, that's about where we stand at the moment. Moving slowly cuz I'm old and there's walleye in the river. Once again, I appreciate the advise and helpful tips given in the "new guy" thread. You guys have a blessed day.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by OldKowLTD.

Stock '82 KZ1000 LTD Restore and refresh 10 Mar 2021 03:03 #844666

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1969
Looks like a great start to a fun project .
Slay those Walleye and fry them up !!!
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldKowLTD

Stock '82 KZ1000 LTD Restore and refresh 10 Mar 2021 16:44 #844730

• ghostdive
  • User
  • Thank you received: 118
If your master cylinder is too far gone, I can send you my spare. It's not pretty but it works alright. Good luck on the project!
1982 KZ750 Spectre - 6 speed swap, BS34s, 18" rear wheel

2001 ZX-6R
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldKowLTD

Stock '82 KZ1000 LTD Restore and refresh 10 Mar 2021 18:19 #844743

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 632

Street Fighter LTD wrote: Looks like a great start to a fun project .
Dave

+1

:kiss:
1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: by daveo.

Stock '82 KZ1000 LTD Restore and refresh 10 Mar 2021 20:31 #844751

• OldKowLTD
  • OldKowLTD's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
That's tremendously generous of you, ghostdive. It appears that the cover's aft screw hole threads were stripped and a slightly larger stud screwed in with nut and washer . Obviously, not tight enough to keep it from leaking. If the reservoir walls are thick enough, I may be able to drill and tap for a recessed screw to hold it on tight enough to seal against the diaphragm. If not, I'll contact you. I'm certainly willing to pay you for it including shipping . Thank you so much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghostdive

Stock '82 KZ1000 LTD Restore and refresh 11 Mar 2021 11:01 #844766

• willemZ900
  • User
  • Z1B 4 ever
  • Thank you received: 52
Hi, i have for many many years the same ingnition on my Z1 , never problems . But you have to take it out and clean the rotor and give it a drip of oil.
I recently changed my tires for the Metzeler Roadtecs , nice tires!
Good luck with the restauration

• Page: