Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

My 1980 Z1R Project 22 Feb 2021 14:54 #843889

• 1980 Z1R D3
  • 1980 Z1R D3's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • A young gun with a taste for two-wheeled fun!
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey yall,
I finally decided to more fully document my bike project on this forum. I got the bike just before last winter after it sat for 28 years or so. It was my dads old bike and I managed to convince him to let me try and fix it up.(heads up, lots of mistakes have been and will be made) I refreshed the bike last winter, but just enough to get it running to learn how to ride, which I did and I really love it. However, I was frustrated by an ever worsening head gasket leak, and faulty gas tank sealant forced my hand by gumming up the carbs. As such I decided to really tear into it this winter and get it running perfect so I hopefully I can just enjoy riding it this coming season. I have already taken off the carbs, exhaust, camshafts, head, cylinder block and cylinders off. I figured if I was gonna really get into it I might as well replace everything that might need it while I was there. I've got my Clymer manual and I'm confident I'll get her running again. The current state of the bike is attached in the pictures below.
Things I still need to do: Hone cylinders, clean gasket surfaces and combustion chamber, value inspection and adjustment, carb clean and sync, among other things I'm sure that Ill find.
I can certainly post some photos from earlier in the process but it was rather spontaneous and I just tore it down in a weekend or so. Don't worry, I took pictures. I also work at a motorcycle shop which is also a Kawi dealership, so I get all my parts OEM from them.
Besides that I'm going to update this thread as I make progress, which will be sporadic and hectic as I am a full time college student.
Hope you all enjoy the process to come, I'm really grateful for this forum helping me through it all, I've had a hell of a time so far and we're just getting started.
Best, Colin

1980 Z1R D3
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My 1980 Z1R Project 22 Feb 2021 23:27 #843906

• Kaylinator
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 74
Get yourself a factory service manual. You'll be much better off than with that Clymer.
1978 KZ1000-A2
kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613296-1978-kz1000-a2-barn-find

1978 KZ400-B1

2022 Z900RS SE

My 1980 Z1R Project 23 Feb 2021 04:58 #843909

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
If you have the cases apart you should change the cam chain. Not much you can do to the crank except listen to the bearings.

Be sure to measure your pistons and cylinders. If you are replacing the pistons in their original cylinders and not changing the rings then no need to hone. Check your valve guides and replace the seals.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

My 1980 Z1R Project 23 Feb 2021 06:47 #843913

• 1980 Z1R D3
  • User
Definitely will check value guides and replace the seals, and I am planning on putting new rings on the pistons, that's why I am planning on honing. Was not planning on splitting the crankcase however. I'm not sure if that's what you meant or if I can change the cam chain with the bike the way that it is now.

1980 Z1R D3

My 1980 Z1R Project 23 Feb 2021 06:53 #843914

• 1980 Z1R D3
  • User

1980 Z1R D3

My 1980 Z1R Project 23 Feb 2021 08:55 #843919

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
The cases must be split in order to change the cam chain, or to check the transmission or crankshaft. If you don't plan to do this, you should take your oil pan off and check/clean your oil pump strainer.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1980 Z1R D3

My 1980 Z1R Project 23 Feb 2021 09:30 #843923

• 1980 Z1R D3
  • User
Ok. I have already purchased a oil pan gasket because it was leaking, so I will clean the oil pump strainer as well while im there.

1980 Z1R D3

My 1980 Z1R Project 04 Jun 2021 18:22 #849621

• 1980 Z1R D3
  • User
I apologize for letting this thread die a little, it certainly has been an interesting past couple of months, waiting on parts for Japan, starting a new job and all that but summers here and I'm back to working on the bike regularly. A lotta stuff has been done that I haven't posted about so I am going to do separate posts for each of the "stages" of assembly.

I don't have any picture of the bike between when I put the pistons on with their new rings and stuff but I did check the ring gap and all of the piston and cylinder specs and they were in the functional range. Thank god I stuffed some rags underneath the pistons cause I dropped a piston ring circlip and it saved me from losing it in the crankcase. I honed the cylinder walls and cleaned the gasket surface really well on both the cylinder block and head with some scotch brite and it looked great. I used a polycarbonate brush on the end of a cordless drill to clean the combustion chambers and valves. It all turned out ok and I was pretty happy with it. It took a buddy and I quite a while to wrestle the block onto the pistons but we managed and that was where we stopped for the day. 
Below is a before and during photo for the head and an after photo for the block installation.

It looked so damn pretty with those shiny pistons back in their bores.

1980 Z1R D3
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZJOE900

Last edit: by 1980 Z1R D3.
  • Page: