Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1978 drag bike 1197 23 Jan 2021 06:22 #842232

• Machine
  • Machine's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So this is a 78kz punched out to 1197 Super gas motor that I have rebuilt and putting it on the street got it running sounds wild... but I just realized it has no neutral it does have a pearson trans .was it a common setup not to have neutral so not to slip into neutral under hard exaltation. I do have a 2nd engine could I swap the gear sequence selector and recover neutral...?,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1978 drag bike 1197 23 Jan 2021 07:47 #842237

• Dragbike_Mike
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 103

Machine wrote: So this is a 78kz punched out to 1197 Super gas motor that I have rebuilt and putting it on the street got it running sounds wild... but I just realized it has no neutral it does have a pearson trans .was it a common setup not to have neutral so not to slip into neutral under hard exaltation. I do have a 2nd engine could I swap the gear sequence selector and recover neutral...?,

I've never heard of a drag race motor to not have a neutral. For a Super Gas motor, I'd expect the typical Kaw shift pattern. Back in the day, I ran a 1-2-3 full auto (no-kill) funnybike trans in my dragbike - neutral was way down at the bottom, below first, but it had a neutral nonetheless. Perhaps your shift drum was cut to have neutral at the bottom, also? Just a thought....

Mike
Presently - 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD w/mild ported head, Megacycle cams, 1015cc Wiseco, Falicon Supercrank, R&D undercut trans
In a former life - KZ-based dragbike - CrMo car tire chassis, 1395cc, Hahn Racecraft turbo system, VP C16, Orient Express 3-spd auto, 7.80's @ 165-170.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

Last edit: by Dragbike_Mike. Reason: correct typo

1978 drag bike 1197 23 Jan 2021 08:42 #842240

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
I'm with Mike on the shift drum machined. Neutral all the way down. 5 gears all up. Try that?
I picked up a similar 1197, .435 cams SOB, 38 Lectrons. Built by Paul Gast FBG.
Previous owner said FBG dyno'd it at 124HP. Was on a street bike also.
It runs so good, I'm not even tearing into it to check it out. Just checking valves.

Dragbike Mike! Was that you selling the small PM dual piston caliper? ? Awhile back??
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

1978 drag bike 1197 23 Jan 2021 11:07 #842248

• Dragbike_Mike
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 103

z1kzonly wrote: I'm with Mike on the shift drum machined. Neutral all the way down. 5 gears all up. Try that?
I picked up a similar 1197, .435 cams SOB, 38 Lectrons. Built by Paul Gast FBG.
Previous owner said FBG dyno'd it at 124HP. Was on a street bike also.
It runs so good, I'm not even tearing into it to check it out. Just checking valves.

Dragbike Mike! Was that you selling the small PM dual piston caliper? ? Awhile back??

Yeah, that was me selling the PM caliper/brake setup and spun aluminum wheel. Still have both. Was planning to post on Evilbay once the whole shipping business returns to normal. If you're interested in either (or both!) shoot me a PM. That stuff would look great on that dragbike of yours, if you could convert over to a rear disc brake setup ;) .

Mike
Presently - 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD w/mild ported head, Megacycle cams, 1015cc Wiseco, Falicon Supercrank, R&D undercut trans
In a former life - KZ-based dragbike - CrMo car tire chassis, 1395cc, Hahn Racecraft turbo system, VP C16, Orient Express 3-spd auto, 7.80's @ 165-170.

1978 drag bike 1197 23 Jan 2021 17:31 #842269

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
Thanks Mike, Will do! I put a 3.5" Sun rim on this with a GS1100 Suki swinger. I'm cleaning up and painting the Lesters. Keeping it simple. I remember the brake, but I dont remember seeing the rim?
Thanks.
Marty in Buffalo
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

1978 drag bike 1197 28 Jan 2021 09:50 #842569

• Machine
  • Machine's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
got to the bottom of it neutral detent was removed ? weird set up shifted great. neutral was there but you have to be a surgeon to find it. new detent on the way got a good look at the trans and bottom end nice and clean...ready to let her rip.thanks all

• Page: