Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kawasaki KZ 550 full build video ! 05 May 2020 13:15 #825059

• Frenkie S22
  • Frenkie S22's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Sir you might be right, the tachometer has been crashed pretty hard in the previous life of the motorcycle. But when I go 120km/h I feel like I am torturing the bike terribly. It doesnt top out or anything like that - I just dont want to continue because it feels too much. Normal riding feels great, everything is perfect. But then on the quicker roads cars start to overtake me...

To be honest the bike pulls hard even at (shown) 11,000 rpm. To my ear it sounds super high rpms, but it still pulls tho.

Yes i think the powerband of kz550A and B is basically the same. Thanks again - I'll take the video tomorrow and we'll hopefully know more. :)
Kawasaki KZ 550 B 1982

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Frenkie S22.

Kawasaki KZ 550 full build video ! 05 May 2020 13:24 #825060

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
11,000 rpm! Be sure to tell us when you blow it up. It won't be very long now. :blink: Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.

Kawasaki KZ 550 full build video ! 05 May 2020 13:33 #825061

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1896
To verify your real speed i would use a bike GPS Navigation System like TomTom Rider.

Kawasaki KZ 550 full build video ! 05 May 2020 14:22 #825066

• Frenkie S22
  • User
I will try to measure actuall speed with my phone tomorrow. I also realised, that the diameter of my front tire is way bigger than it used to be. Which effects the speed indication.

Let's see tomorrow. Overall I'm really happy with the bikes performance. Just this one thing drives me crazy ...

Maybe everything is fine, just the enormous tires that i have there changed all the readings.
Kawasaki KZ 550 B 1982

Kawasaki KZ 550 full build video ! 06 May 2020 05:12 #825100

• Frenkie S22
  • User
Guys I won't get the chance to ride the bike today. But I'll post the video asap when the weather here gets better! :) thank you
Kawasaki KZ 550 B 1982

Kawasaki KZ 550 full build video ! 06 May 2020 09:15 #825120

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I don't have a 550A video, I don't think, but here's my Kz550D (gpz) from many years ago. The engine on this bike was rebuilt before I bought it (cheap) and it made terrible noises after a hot start. It never runs as smooth as the non-rebuilt engines I have. IT runs ok, but has always felt slightly under-powered and rough. I think someone milled the head and the valves sometimes nick the pistons when there isn't enough oil pressure. But I've been abusing this motor for over 20 years just like in this video.

I'm not sure what RPM i hit, but I'm sure it was past redline. The gpz's love to go past redline, usually to about 10K and maybe even 11K in a desperate situation.

Maybe I'll try to look at the audio to see if I can determine the actual RPM, but likely not since there is a lot of other noise.

If you can make a clean recording of the exhaust on the highway, maybe we can figure out the RPM from the audio.

Have you had other people ride it to get their opinion?

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Kawasaki KZ 550 full build video ! 06 May 2020 10:56 #825133

• Frenkie S22
  • User
Dear Loudhvx,

to my ears your bike sounds exactly the same as mine. Thank you for the video, you're so nice. I do think that my engine had a pretty rough life - running with wrong or not enough oil etc. I'm about to try the golden oil additive that increases compression. It is legit German stuff from the old days. :D

To me going past redline feels, like the bike likes it. You're totally right. It wants to go there.

I have already 3D printed a chest GoPro mount to give you the best possible view (that way you can also see the gauges). And I think about recording the sound with my phone in the pocket so the wind doesn't effect it too much.
Kawasaki KZ 550 B 1982

Kawasaki KZ 550 full build video ! 10 May 2020 14:28 #825404

• Frenkie S22
  • User
Hey everyone ! So I have some videos and a sound recording - its not perfect but at least something. My gf was holding the camera by hand so you can't really see the gauges :( but at this clip I was going max 120 km/h on 9000 rpms. I wasn't correct when I told you, that I reach 120 at 11 000. Sorry for the wind. The diagram here says that it should be at 6000 rpm by 120km/h :(

photos.app.goo.gl/NL5ke43k54xXy8Vu5
To me the is revving totally fine - no issues.

Anyways I have checked the ignition advancer - works just fine video here:
photos.app.goo.gl/AUANEzqqedoao4Ez7

I also added the oil additive to make better compression (dont feel any difference). Oil pressure indication still on. Dissapears by revving.

Here is a sound recording of my bike - it's a city ride - im revving it harder at the end - like one minute. By phone in the pocket - much crisper sound.
drive.google.com/open?id=19O4qRt3N5GjLM43PG1RgUPGJrHSQzawg

The 18teeth sprocket has arrived - should i try to swap it ?
And here I greet you all ;)
photos.app.goo.gl/hyuvyfWwMRP2PKii9
Kawasaki KZ 550 B 1982

Kawasaki KZ 550 full build video ! 10 May 2020 15:53 #825407

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1896
I can´t hear any signs of a slipping clutch , so it should be okay but i can´t explain your low Speed Trouble.

Kawasaki KZ 550 full build video ! 11 May 2020 02:35 #825437

• Frenkie S22
  • User
Thank you, yes the bike runs sweet. No obvious issues. The clutch slips when you for example make a too quick gear change. But I have learned how to deal with it.

The only difference I can think of now, is the size of the rear wheel. Otherwise I have no clue.
Kawasaki KZ 550 B 1982

Kawasaki KZ 550 full build video ! 11 May 2020 09:56 #825460

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

Here is a sound recording of my bike - it's a city ride - im revving it harder at the end - like one minute. By phone in the pocket - much crisper sound.
drive.google.com/open?id=19O4qRt3N5GjLM43PG1RgUPGJrHSQzawg

To me, it doesn't sound like you are revving very high. The few at the end are higher, but still below redline.

I don't think you need to swap the sprocket. That will slow down acceleration, and I'm not sure an 18T will fit with any extra room for error.

I think you need to check the tachometer for accuracy.

When you get near redline (9500) for real, in top gear, the throttle will be more than half way. Where is your throttle at?

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Kawasaki KZ 550 full build video ! 11 May 2020 16:43 #825499

• Frenkie S22
  • User
Dear Loudhvx, to be honest - while listening the recording I thought exactly the same - the revs don't sound all that high. But while riding it feels a lot.

I can't tell how far my throttle is, Because I haven't ever reached the end :D But it feels more than half way.
MAYBE I'm just a too much of a sensitive guy :D :D and I'm looking for problems where they aren't.

But I still feel like the bike isn't happy while going around 100km/h. That is my averrage cruising speed and I would like the revs to lover down a bit.
I totally get you, with the sprocket - it will be a wonder if it even fits - I have to take apart that side of my engine anyway so I might just try to swap it and see if it will suit my riding style - but I do not wanna lose the acceleration power tho .... :(

Dont get me wrong, I absolutely love riding the bike the way it is - I wouldn't really use speeds above 130 km/h but I don't wanna blow it up or abuse it by having the revs too high.

Guys thanks a milion for the consultancy, I'm going to report with what difference the sprocket has made, or if it even fitted. I know now for sure that changing it isn't the right thing to do, but I'll take it as an experiment.
Kawasaki KZ 550 B 1982