'77 KZ-1000A1 Refurbishment, Not Restoration

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
24 Jan 2020 20:07 #817821 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic '77 KZ-1000A1 Refurbishment, Not Restoration
I'm an engineer but I don't think I know as much as the Kawasaki engineers that designed the engine. So I put them in!

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick H.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2020 14:08 #817880 by Rick H.
Replied by Rick H. on topic '77 KZ-1000A1 Refurbishment, Not Restoration
Thank you for the pictures Hardrock miner, it clears up a lot about using the ring compressor tool. I gather the pistons will/should all be at the same height so the rings line up with the compressors on the tool. In doing so one must find wires that will hold the pistons in this position and if true I don't think the wire stands in the ring compressor tool would work with the Wiseco pistons as I think the skirt bottom sits lower. I am not sure about that, but I remember when I was deciding how to do mine I looked at the depth of the piston skirt and it was an issue for me. If there's a next time I will use the ring compressor tool to see how it works out. Even with the tool I can see where extra hands would be most beneficial. In the end I used Scirocco's method of installing the pistons and it worked out for me. The only issue was making sure I got the wrist pin clips in properly but I had a tool that helped out a lot in that regard. Those Wiseco wrist pin clips are brutal to install. I installed new O-rings on the cylinders because they were there when I took it apart, so back in went new ones.
Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.