Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ 550 LTD Cafe 29 Sep 2019 17:55 #811509

• Joe320
  • Joe320's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys I currently just bought 1982 kz550 C Limited and I'm hoping to turn it into a cafe racer. One of my questions is does anyone you know how I can lower the front forks by chopping the spring, the only thing is that I have air shocks. Or should I just bite the bullet and install gsxr forks, looking to build this bike on a strict budget.Any thoughts or ideas would definitely help thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Joe320. Reason: Added more

KZ 550 LTD Cafe 29 Sep 2019 19:52 #811514

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
You can raise the fork tubes in the triple clamps a bit. You may also be able to put a lowering spacer in the forks that reduces their extension.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

KZ 550 LTD Cafe 29 Sep 2019 20:11 #811518

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
If you chop the springs too much and don't make up the difference with a spacer, it can unload at full extension and you will get a lot of rattle.

I chop the spring to get a stiffer suspension and then make up the difference with a spacer. It all ends up a little taller than stock, so it's probably not what you want.

Like Texas said, it would be better to raise the forks in the clamps by about 1/2" to 1". That will lower the front end by that much. The problem, as you mentioned, is that the air holes won't line up anymore. Will the air holes at least get blocked? I find it's better to use a slightly stiffer spring (I do it by cutting), then use no air. Then there's no stress about getting the pressure equal etc.

Last edit: by loudhvx.
  • Page: