Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New to the KZ Family - Reviving this bike, but where do I even start? 02 Jul 2019 08:35 #806837

• DougTrenches
  • DougTrenches's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All -

Made an intro in the welcome thread (kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/610953-...m-ma-new-kz650-owner), but wanted to get into the nitty-gritty here.

A couple of months ago I inherited an 1983 KZ650. Also a couple of months ago, I sustained a severe and unexpected leg injury/surgery. Now that I'm back on my feet, I want to rebuild this KZ, as a sort of self-established "rebuild for recovery" program. But I work especially well following a list, and going step by step to prevent being overwhelmed by the task of getting this thing running.

I admittedly don't know where to start. I know it'll need a lot of consumables work (the tires are dry rotted and the tank will probably get swapped), but I want to know if the bike has life in it first, without sinking money into the cosmetics or mods or something.

What I know -
-The bike looks like it's in pretty good shape, all things considered.
-It's been in a garage for the last ~4 years, in a barn the last ~3. So it's been protected from the elements, but presumably hasn't been started in nearly 8 years.
-There is no key with the bike - I have to figure out how to get the gas tank open, how to get under the seat, and how to try and start it, to see if it'll even roll over.

I have a slight understanding of what I'll need to do to start cracking this open, but if anyone here wants to be helpful in my endeavor, it will be greatly appreciated!

Best.
Denis
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New to the KZ Family - Reviving this bike, but where do I even start? 02 Jul 2019 09:23 #806843

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
Key. There's a key code stamped into the ignition switch, seat lock & helmet lock >> have key made using the code. The ignition switch is probably the easiest to remove >> there are 2 allen head bolts, accessed from the underside.
I don't know if there's a trick to raising the seat without a key.

Battery. The motorcycle needs a good, fully charged battery to start & run right. You can jump start the motorcycle from a car >> engine off >> car keys in pocket. I prefer to disconnect the car battery before jumpering a motorcycle. Do not jump start it using a running car.

Airbox. Clean the airbox & check the air filter >> the end cap foam can deteriorate. A new air filter would be preferable. If the airbox ducts are hard, you may have to replace them >> hard ducts may not seal properly & can make carb removal difficult.
Do not over-tighten the airbox cap as it will crack >> install the cap until it contacts the foam then maybe another 1/2 turn. ???

Carburetors. Remove the float bowls & clean whatever's possible under there. You'll probably need to replace any o-rings. Verify that the orifices are clear. Use good fitting tools. Doing carb work isn't that hard & doing the complete disassembly isn't hard either.

Ignition. Redo the spark plug wire connections at all points >> untwist the plug caps & unscrew the ribbed compression boots from the coils. Nip off the ends of the wires a tad as they will probably have the whitish crusty oxidation..

Clean, check & lubricate the timing advancer. separate the rotor from the advancer body & fill the groove with grease. Check that the springs aren't stretched or anything. Re-assemble & operate by turning & releasing the rotor >> it should snap back. I think I used high temp disk brake wheel bearing grease the last time. You'll probably need a new pulsing coil gasket. I keep spares at hand.

Remove the spark plugs & check the gap. While they're out, spray some lubricant in the holes or add a little engine oil, re-install & let soak overnight. then remove the plugs again & turn the crankshaft with a 17mm wrench (do not use a 14mm wrench on the timing advancer bolt).

There's a 1981 KZ650 service manual pdf available that should be fine for some stuff, but it doesn't have info for your BS32 carburetors.
Partzilla has diagrams.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by martin_csr.
  • Page: