Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

I have a decision to make....what would you guys do? 03 Jul 2019 10:47 #806917

• Webbie1
  • Webbie1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16

old_kaw wrote: Some states purge any old registration info after so many years, much like unused accounts are often purged by businesses, if it is not used and active. I could not find the registered owner info on one of the 1980 yammehaws I rescued until I applied for the title in MO. When they rejected it (yet kept my money) they replied with the registered owners info. It also had the short VIN number. (Pre 1980 non 17 digit VIN) The registered owners info is required for the notices to be sent to the last known address in MO.
I had to apply to Illinois SS twice to get the registered owners info from them for my old kaw. First try was using my personal info was rejected, then using my business name it came back in less than 30 days.. I was truly impressed. lol

Titling an old bike really IS a PITA,. I have found that 3 out of 4 have screwed up titles using my experience for the poll numbers. Next is KEYS.. :S

Yes, I'm sure that's what happened in this case.....Wisconsin (where the seller lives), must have purged the old data based on the bike not being registered since 1996. But I know he's the legal owner (how would HE have gotten plates in 96 otherwise?) so I'm not worried about anyone placing a claim on the bike or anything like that. He will sign whatever type of bill of sale that I come up with, and I can always go back to him if additional documentation is needed. Like I said, we carpool together every Tuesday and Thursday.....his daughter bought one of my old cars, etc. Good guy.

Warner
1979 KZ1000 LTD, 1982 KZ1000 LTD, 1990 Honda CBR1000F

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.