I have a decision to make....what would you guys do?

More
27 Jun 2019 18:12 #806597 by Webbie1

Oldjeep wrote: Why is all your garage stuff in that hallway? :woohoo:
In any event, make sure there is a fire door between that bedroom and rest of house.

Nothing exciting is going to be happening in that room. Meaning no running engines, fuels, or fumes that are flammable. I will just walk out to the garage and that work table for anything like that. I also have a full basement that has a fairly large tool room area.

Warner

1979 KZ1000 LTD, 1982 KZ1000 LTD, 1990 Honda CBR1000F

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2019 18:22 #806598 by Webbie1

Oldjeep wrote: Why is all your garage stuff in that hallway? :woohoo:
In any event, make sure there is a fire door between that bedroom and rest of house.

The "hallway" with the compressor, blast cabinet, and work table? Yeah, that area, plus the bedroom that I reclaimed, used to be the 1 car garage in the house. then the owner turned that one part of the garage into a 4th bedroom (the part I reclaimed for my little shop area) and built another 2 car garage and attached it. So besides that "hallway" and the bedroom/shop, there's a full 2 car garage. In this photo, the table, compressor, and blast cabinet are all the way at the back right...

Warner

Attachments:

More
27 Jun 2019 21:57 #806601 by Barry1
If you want to pursue this check out theses people...……… titlekingexpress.com/

More
28 Jun 2019 08:19 #806623 by Webbie1

Barry1 wrote: If you want to pursue this check out theses people...……… titlekingexpress.com/

I checked....too rich for my blood. That's more than I'm paying for the bike. The seller wants until the end of the 4th of July weekend to find the title. We both doubt that he will find it. If not, I'm going to try the Vermont method. I've printed out all of the forms already in preparation. If it works, that should only cost me the $48 registration fee, plus the 6% tax on the NADA "good" value, which is $1,050 so 6% is $63, plus whatever it costs me to have the VIN verification done. $111 plus VIN verification costs.
The title and plates in Illinois will be $95 for title and $50 ish for the plates, depending on what I want.

Warner

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
02 Jul 2019 09:17 #806842 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic I have a decision to make....what would you guys do?
Guy's name is Bob Conger. We met him at Mid-Ohio five or six years ago. IIRC, he occupying the warehouse vacated by Z1 Enterprises after they move to FL, and had the same Mid-Ohio swap meet location too. He assisted with acquiring the VT registration that resulted in a successful KY title for The Wounded Z.

This is his title page:
www.nobullusedmotorcycleparts.com/titles.html

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

More
02 Jul 2019 10:42 #806849 by old greek
What part of Illinois are you?...{'m in Beach Park,....maybe you can take the plate & Vin.# to Illinois Sec.of State or Illinois State Police to see if anything shows up on their Database....Pete

More
02 Jul 2019 10:58 #806851 by Webbie1

old greek wrote: What part of Illinois are you?...{'m in Beach Park,....maybe you can take the plate & Vin.# to Illinois Sec.of State or Illinois State Police to see if anything shows up on their Database....Pete

I'm in Rockford, but the bike was always licensed in Wisconsin. They can't find any info on it..

Warner

More
03 Jul 2019 05:58 - 03 Jul 2019 06:06 #806892 by loudhvx
I'm just jumping in to this title issue at the end. I didn't go back through this whole thread, but I'll look back.

My buddy has done several bonded titles in Illinois. It was easy and did not cost too much. But it did take a little time.

Here is the official document on the matter, which unfortunately (and not surprisingly) doesn't answer all questions.
www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/...ications/rtopr26.pdf

Most importantly it doesn't answer what the cost of this process is. The only upside is you're only dealing with one state.

The value, in his case, was determined by a dealership. They charged him like $10 or $15 for the appraisal done with photos over the internet. (That was nice and convenient.) Um don't polish it up too much for the photos if you know what I mean. Luckily you have several "before" photos to go with.

And for anyone in Illinois who may read this, and is wondering about that abandoned Kz200 sitting behind the shed for the last 15 years... the bonded Title info explicitly states "NOTE: A bond cannot be used to obtain titles on abandoned vehicles, repossessions, mechanics liens or estates, or to remove a lienholder."
Last edit: 03 Jul 2019 06:06 by loudhvx.

More
03 Jul 2019 06:04 #806893 by Webbie1

loudhvx wrote: I'm just jumping in to this title issue at the end. I didn't go back through this whole thread, but I'll look back.

My buddy has done several bonded titles in Illinois. It was easy and did not cost too much. But it did take a little time.

Here is the official document on the matter, which unfortunately (and not surprisingly) doesn't answer all questions.
www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/...ications/rtopr26.pdf

Most importantly it doesn't answer what the cost of this process is. The only upside is you're only dealing with one state.

Yeah, I thought about that. The main thing that I didn't like was the 3 years it takes to get a real title. That bothered me. I'm giving my friend (who I bought the bike from) until the end of this weekend to find the title. If he finds it, I owe him another $350 for the bike. If not, the $550 I already paid will be all that he gets. I figure the Vermont registration will cost me about $150, so I'm actually $200 ahead if he doesn't find the title. I consider it an inconvenience fee, and he's good with that deal.

Warner

More
03 Jul 2019 06:09 - 03 Jul 2019 06:29 #806894 by loudhvx
You get the title right away and can put plates on it right away (or very soon, like weeks). You can even sell the bike right after. That's the purpose of the bond. You just have to wait 3 years to get the cash bond back. A bonded title is as good as any other title. The bonded part just means you have money sitting and waiting for 3 years.

I believe my friend does it this way because it's cheaper than the $150 through Vermont, but I'll have to confirm that.

The bonded title in Illinois is why you see so many ads that say bill-of-sale only, as in no title. That bill of sale is actually worth something in regards to getting the bonded title.

The nice thing was that my buddy never had to bring the physical bike anywhere for any inspection of anything. It was all done with photos sent electronically to the appraising motorcycle-dealer... VIN etc.
Last edit: 03 Jul 2019 06:29 by loudhvx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Webbie1

More
03 Jul 2019 08:35 - 03 Jul 2019 08:36 #806905 by old_kaw
Some states purge any old registration info after so many years, much like unused accounts are often purged by businesses, if it is not used and active. I could not find the registered owner info on one of the 1980 yammehaws I rescued until I applied for the title in MO. When they rejected it (yet kept my money) they replied with the registered owners info. It also had the short VIN number. (Pre 1980 non 17 digit VIN) The registered owners info is required for the notices to be sent to the last known address in MO.
I had to apply to Illinois SS twice to get the registered owners info from them for my old kaw. First try was using my personal info was rejected, then using my business name it came back in less than 30 days.. I was truly impressed. lol

Titling an old bike really IS a PITA,. I have found that 3 out of 4 have screwed up titles using my experience for the poll numbers. Next is KEYS.. :S

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Last edit: 03 Jul 2019 08:36 by old_kaw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Webbie1

More
03 Jul 2019 10:44 #806916 by Webbie1

loudhvx wrote: You get the title right away and can put plates on it right away (or very soon, like weeks). You can even sell the bike right after. That's the purpose of the bond. You just have to wait 3 years to get the cash bond back. A bonded title is as good as any other title. The bonded part just means you have money sitting and waiting for 3 years.

I believe my friend does it this way because it's cheaper than the $150 through Vermont, but I'll have to confirm that.

The bonded title in Illinois is why you see so many ads that say bill-of-sale only, as in no title. That bill of sale is actually worth something in regards to getting the bonded title.

The nice thing was that my buddy never had to bring the physical bike anywhere for any inspection of anything. It was all done with photos sent electronically to the appraising motorcycle-dealer... VIN etc.

Interesting. You've given me something to think about. Either method seems to involve a fair amount of hassle, it seems. I'll be ok if he just finds the damn title and I paid the extra $200. Haha. If not, and I expect he won't find the title, then I have to consider which option is better/easier/cheaper. With the amount of work that I believe will be required, I don't think time will be a huge obstacle for me. I realize this is a longer term project. If I had it running in time for next year's riding season here in Illinois, that would be fine. Thanks for your reply....

Warner