Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: '80 KZ750 LTD Project

'80 KZ750 LTD Project 06 Feb 2019 08:37 #798274

• peterb
  • peterb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello All,

I've used this forum for tons of learning, research and the occasional question. The project I just picked up is a 1980 KZ750 LTD. My normal experience is to take beaters and make them serviceable and reliable. This project is a little different. My first bike was a KZ750e (standard) and like everyone else, I regret getting rid of it. I picked up this LTD on impulse because I got it running (not well) for almost nothing. My goal is to see how close I can get this LTD to to the 750e model.

Here's where I'm hoping to lean upon the experience found on this forum - Some Questions.
- Are there are any direct swaps on the rear wheel? I'd like to go to the 18" wheel. Can I go with a kz750e wheel? Are there other direct swaps?
-I'd like to swap out the leading axle forks (i think this is what they are called?). I had a hard time finding a thread where anyone did this. Any direct swaps? (I think I saw a thread where Katana forks are mentioned)
- Carbs - the guy I bought it from had Mikuni's from a Suzuki (i think) on it. It ran, but I'm skeptical it will run right and i'd like to go back to stock. I might run over to Sport Wheels Junkyard in MN and see what they have. Other than that - I dont see many options on ebay. Recommendations?

Later
- I'd like to take swapping out the LTD seat for a flatter setup. What kind of frame-work am I in for? I really had a hard time find threads on KZrider on this subject.
- Paint codes - Does anyone have paint codes for some of the late 70's , early 80's kz bikes? I looked on color-rite- they didn't have much.

Thanks in advance for all help provided. I'll be posting pictures and updates as I get into it. Have to finish a friends Honda before riding season first.

Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'80 KZ750 LTD Project 06 Feb 2019 10:58 #798284

• martin_csr
  • Thank you received: 1043
Howdy. My 81 KZ650-CSR has the same frame as the 750H Ltd >> 750E mufflers were a direct swap. The Ltd H & & 750E frames appear to be very similar & are identical in some respects. The E has the same side covers & muffler stays as the CSR & LTD. From comparing photos the major differences are the steering head angle & rear end >> the Ltd has more rake & the E has extra bracketing at the rear for attaching the rear cowling or ducktail which the Ltd does not have.

Seat & fuel tank. comparing frame photos, the 750E seat may be a direct fit >> the hinges & stuff appear to be in the same locations & the frames seem to be shaped the same where the seat fits. They also have the same method of attachment for the fuel tank >> the E tank is purported to be a direct fit, but the Ltd tripe tree will bang against it. The fix would be to install the 750E front end >> the 750E triple is angled forward to accommodate the larger tank. I bet the E triple tree is a direct swap. guessing.

Swing arm. From the diagrams at Partzilla the 750E & Ltd have the same swing arm sleeve & shaft and same Rr axle, so you can probably swap swing arms. I'd guess you could use your swing arm with the E rear wheel >> the Ltd swing arm is probably wider. I'm not sure if there would be disk alignment or wheel clearance issues. From doing the wheel math the E wheel/tire is about 16mm larger in diameter than the Ltd.

Carburetors. I don't know what's best, but you can probably use the carbs from just about any 750-4.

KZR topic >> Retroactive KZ750E Project by Nessim .... lots of good photos, including frame pics.

EB >> KZ750H Ltd frame. . or use you own frame for reference. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

Last edit: by martin_csr.

'80 KZ750 LTD Project 06 Feb 2019 15:47 #798300

• peterb
  • peterb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
That is a ton of good info, thank you very much. I'm going to read thru the thread you posted.

I have noticed just a lack of 750e parts on ebay. I'm hoping to find what I need at Sport Wheels or see if members here have anything for sale.

• Page: