Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Z400 Custom G3 1981 project 14 Nov 2018 10:22 #793782

• FJR1
  • FJR1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, everyone, I finally got the bike, and I have already started to remove most of the body work, the plan now is to rebuild the carburettor, do basic maintenance on the engine and start the bike. In the meanwhile the electrical are being mapped. Depending on the condition of the carburettor, I hope to crank the bike within two weeks from now.

Initially I wanted to swap the swingarm, I really like the tubular one, therefore I am currently questioning to extend it to get the stand I am looking for. Also I have decided to keep the tank, however I need to assess its condition, otherwise I will buy a new one, perhaps some of you have one?

I am still working on some rendering, maybe next Sunday

Thank you, see you on Sunday!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Z400 Custom G3 1981 project 18 Nov 2018 12:20 #793905

• FJR1
  • User
Hello Everyone, here is finally a render of what I would like to potentially achieve, note that this a just a conceptual sketch, therefore there are probably some terrible mistake in term of technical features.
As I am currently waiting to get some new diaphragms for the carb, I started to work on the tank. I am trying to re use most of the bike.
I cut of the bump of the tank. It when pretty well until I tried to sand blast the inside of the tank (beginner mistake apparently), due to the stagnating petrol in the join of the tank, it rusted quite a bit, therefore I was left with holes, I am currently looking for a KZ tank from an early 400, but in the meanwhile I will fiberglass the inside of the tank and weld the top flat sheet on top of it. Apparently it is a common thing to do.

See you on Sunday!!!

Z400 Custom G3 1981 project 18 Nov 2018 15:25 #793920

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Nice project. I can't wait to see how the tank turns out. I always hated that bump.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FJR1

Z400 Custom G3 1981 project 25 Nov 2018 11:26 #794204

• FJR1
  • User
Hello Everyone!!! Here is the Sunday Update!!!
Not much progress this week. I sand blasted the tank, found more rusted area, the plan now is to look for a good looking petrol cap and fit it before I close the tank.
I reshaped the metal where the dents were, I would need some filter to make it smooth.
I am very busy this next week, so I will just try to removed the rest of the rust and spray an anti rust inside the tank. Than If I have time I will start to fibre glass it.

I manage to cut the frame and test some shapes for the seat, but I am not liking. I two days ago, bough a swingarm from a Ninja Ex250 2010 which should arrive on Thursday or Friday, from my research is a direct fit. The advantage is that It has mountings for the caliper which would hopefully ease the conversion.

After fitting the swingarm, I will decide whether to modify the subframe to make the seat thinner, and push the shock mounting forward. But it still need to be decided. Here are the picture of the work done this week.
Thank you!!!

Last edit: by FJR1.

Z400 Custom G3 1981 project 25 Nov 2018 12:28 #794205

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2053
If you are going to fiberglass your fuel tank, you need to be aware that ethanol eats certain resins for lunch,
Here is some reading on the subject
www.boatdesign.net/threads/which-resin-t...asoline-tanks.44720/
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Z400 Custom G3 1981 project 26 Nov 2018 17:37 #794236

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
You need to weld a piece of frame tubing between the two ends of the frame where you cut it. Otherwise you will end up with a flexible-flyer. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Z400 Custom G3 1981 project 29 Dec 2018 09:35 #795874

• FJR1
  • User
Hello everyone, It has been some time since I posted, I have been very busy with project closure of the end of the year.
Here are some update, it has been very slow.
I have scanned the tank, which will allow me to make a template for the weldings and metal work as I have never done that before. The 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R was easily swap and makes a big difference.
The electrics has been mapped and removes. The scanning of the frame was a failure, so I am relying on hand measurements. So today, I so far model the top seat. I ll use this to print template and do a test fit on of the seat. The plan will be to use the CAD model to create a custom seat, which will be 3D printed, and for the foam to be CNC.

Enjoy the few images.
Thank you

Last edit: by FJR1.
  • Page: