Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wakt out 1977 kz650 29 Oct 2018 16:29 #793050

• waktaylor
  • waktaylor's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
I’m an addict. I guess I’m starting a brand of wakt out bikes. (William Anthony Kyle Taylor es me nome)

This bike will be returned to mostly stock form. Has a battery draw so I’ll get to checking and chucking electronics. Hoping it runs with some carbs cleaned and fresh gasoline.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wakt out 1977 kz650 03 Nov 2018 08:55 #793320

• waktaylor
  • User
She’s alive!

Fresh gas, plugs, flushed the carbs and used a pumper battery. Fired up on the first try. PO said it ran fine when he parked it 2 years ago but had a battery draw.

Turns out the R/R is dead. That’s fine with me. Easy enough. I found fired wires so I’m gonna clean up the harness. I may upgrade the stator and R/R for a lithium battery. I have an older 8 cell Ballasitic that kicks it over just fine.

I did a quick test ride and found that the rear brake lever at the drum jumps off the teeth even though it’s tight. Gonna have to take it apart and install new tires.

Also hoping I can install a stock rear tail and seat even though someone chopped the frame.

Wakt out 1977 kz650 10 Nov 2018 06:40 #793646

• waktaylor
  • User
The bike ran, but poorly. I pulled the carbs and found 102.5 main and 15 slow jets. With Pods and the 4-1 exhaust these jets are too lean. Also found a bent needle so I ordered some parts to get these carbs in order.

Wakt out 1977 kz650 10 Nov 2018 10:37 #793655

• 650Dude
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 19

waktaylor wrote: The bike ran, but poorly. I pulled the carbs and found 102.5 main and 15 slow jets. With Pods and the 4-1 exhaust these jets are too lean. Also found a bent needle so I ordered some parts to get these carbs in order.

Good work!
1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: waktaylor

Wakt out 1977 kz650 14 Nov 2018 20:13 #793809

• waktaylor
  • User
Small update since I’m out of town this bike is calling my name. Fresh wiring everywhere and some what simplified. More pics to come
Attachments:

Wakt out 1977 kz650 26 Nov 2018 19:25 #794242

• waktaylor
  • User
My new favorite noise maker didn’t ride well. Would fire up immediately but no good at anything past 10% throttle. I pinesol soaked the carbs after disassembly (I ruined the slides in my kz1000 carbs I found out recently). carbs cleaned up and replaced a bent needle. The K&L kit needle was not the same as outgoing needle so I replaced all 4 needles to keep them the same. They were all on #4 notch. I upped the slow jet to 17.5 from 15 but kept the 107.5 (or maybe it’s 102.5?) for now so I can change just one thing at a time till it’s right. I have some larger jets but let’s wait and see. I replaced o rings and installed new air bleed screws. Turned the all the way in then 2 turns out for now.
After setting the timing on the Dyna S the bike fired up on first try.
Engine idles just fine. A little “lopey” but the 10 second ride I took was exciting the throttle response seems good but I ran out of gas and for 100 other reasons I didn’t ride it more.

Working out of town so I’m dying to get back and fine tune this little monster.

New gasket set arrived so I can set valve clearances and really fine tune it. Can’t wait.

Listening to “Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance” is also very good. Check it out. I cheat and use audible because I’m stuck in the car so much.

$60 LED truck light knock for. Low bean is great but high beam is almost not worth wiring in. Also temporary ebay side markers. These are cheap plastic ones that will work just fine but I ordered a nice set of aluminum ones from Lossa Engineering.

Attachments:

Wakt out 1977 kz650 17 Dec 2018 14:56 #795320

• waktaylor
  • User
Fast forward a little. Trimmed and installed a stock tail. New Firestone Champions which seem to be good tires so far. Rode on cold we pavement and she felt goood.
All new wiring.
Ricks lithium Regualtor Rectifier
Ballistic 8 cell lithium
Moritomoto 5Stop tail/brakelight
ZXR Shocks I like these. Lifted the booty the way I like it. My girl rides with me a lot and she enjoys being able to see and I enjoy the added suspension.

Next:
Mount turn signals from Rossa Engineering. Quality aluminum bodies

Something seems amiss with my rear drum brake. The axle nut is tight. The brake stay and bolts are tight. No play in pivot arm now tho there was quite a bit when I purchased the bike.
Every few times I accelerate and then press the rear brake it seems to catch. Sometimes this abrupt. I had the drum off while installing new tires and the linings looked new and were in place.
Could the stay be too short now with the suspension lifted?
Attachments:

Wakt out 1977 kz650 17 Dec 2018 15:10 #795321

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 511
As an Old Timer Harley / Kaw Guy, I dig the Firestone back tire! Looks like AVON roadmaster, 1960's chopper style!
Did your Grand Father give you that? ( just teasin')
I wish I had another tire like that, just to hang on the wall!
Cool work! Nice that you finished it!
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Last edit: by z1kzonly.

Wakt out 1977 kz650 17 Dec 2018 15:52 #795326

• waktaylor
  • User
Firestone champion. They are new on eBay. Dunlop makes some vintage look tires with modern rubber. I’m gonna rode these a while and see. Seem good to me and I’m used to sticky modern tires on my old Hypermotard

Wakt out 1977 kz650 17 Dec 2018 16:53 #795333

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

waktaylor wrote:

I understand there's a guy with a 1930 Buick looking for his spare tire. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Last edit: by 650ed.

Wakt out 1977 kz650 17 Dec 2018 17:20 #795337

• waktaylor
  • User
I took them off my model T

Wakt out 1977 kz650 19 Dec 2018 16:43 #795438

• 650Dude
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 19

waktaylor wrote: Fast forward a little. Trimmed and installed a stock tail. New Firestone Champions which seem to be good tires so far. Rode on cold we pavement and she felt goood.
All new wiring.
Ricks lithium Regualtor Rectifier
Ballistic 8 cell lithium
Moritomoto 5Stop tail/brakelight
ZXR Shocks I like these. Lifted the booty the way I like it. My girl rides with me a lot and she enjoys being able to see and I enjoy the added suspension.

Next:
Mount turn signals from Rossa Engineering. Quality aluminum bodies

Something seems amiss with my rear drum brake. The axle nut is tight. The brake stay and bolts are tight. No play in pivot arm now tho there was quite a bit when I purchased the bike.
Every few times I accelerate and then press the rear brake it seems to catch. Sometimes this abrupt. I had the drum off while installing new tires and the linings looked new and were in place.
Could the stay be too short now with the suspension lifted?

What kind of exhaust is that?
1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

• Page: