Initial parts/tools list for a bike that hasn't run in 20 years (help) :)

More
11 Apr 2018 13:15 #781677 by kz900robert
OK, the bike in question is a 1976 Kawasaki KZ900. My dad was the original owner. It is now mine. It's been in a garage for more than 20 years collecting dust. It has about 10k miles on it currently. I just found that out today after chatting with my dad. He and I are going to get it back up and running. So ... I need to know what I need to do. I have a Clymer manual coming for it and a Haynes too I believe. Clymer for sure. I know it needs an exhaust and tires. I plan to change the tires myself. Oh, new tubes too. I'm assuming the brake fluid will need to be flushed, oil, gas, etc. New gas lines. Carbs cleaned and synced. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I haven't touched a motorcycle since I was in high school. I haven't been able to get down to my dad's to take a picture. I've got a picture on my phone I'm going to try to get uploaded here so you guys can see my new baby. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
11 Apr 2018 18:35 - 11 Apr 2018 18:40 #781687 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Make sure it'll stop before you make it go:
Master cylinder rebuild kit if it's salvageable. Deep snap ring pliers to get it apart.
Caliper kit(s). Likely salvageable.

Intake boots. Check for cracks on the old ones.

Do the camchain adjustment.

Check the valves & ignition timing.

A good ultrasonic cleaner if you're gonna do the carbs yourself.

Good quality carb kits. Don't cheap out on these.

Install inline fuel filters on each fuel rail.

Check the charging system with a known-good, freshly charged battery.

A good DMM can be valuable for charging systems tests & general troubleshooting.

Good JIS screwdrivers.

An impact screwdriver w/JIS bits.

A good selection of metric sockets & combination wrenches.

At least one click-type torque wrench, 10 - 200 in/lb. Use it when a torque spec is call for. Aluminum threads are delicate. A second torque wrench 10 - 150 ft/lb will be useful for larger fasteners.

More patience, time & money than you think you'll need.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Last edit: 11 Apr 2018 18:40 by slmjim+Z1BEBE.

More
11 Apr 2018 20:03 #781689 by KZJOE900
Get a KZ900 factory service manual. I wouldn't trust anything else. Beware, some torque specs are wrong in the Clymer. Not familiar with the Haynes. I tried changing the rear tire / tube myself. It may end up costing more than having someone do it. I ruined the tube in my attempt. You have the rim locks to contend with. Everything slmjim+Z1BEBE said.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
13 Apr 2018 03:35 #781729 by bluej58
Grease the swing arm and I would replace that rusty chain and the sprockets too.

78 KZ1000 A2A

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
13 Apr 2018 06:13 #781732 by hardrockminer
The original maintenance manual is available online for free from many sources. This should be your bible. Do all of the maintenance checks that are mentioned. If it were me I would take photos of every part before removing it from the bike so that I have a reference for putting it back on afterwards. I would also purchase a bunch of baggies and some tape that I could write on and stick on the bag.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

More
13 Apr 2018 06:39 #781733 by TexasKZ
Here is one for only $260 :pinch: :blink: :ohmy:

www.amazon.com/Kawasaki-KZ900-Service-Re...Manual/dp/B00BSBVLCQ

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
14 Apr 2018 14:44 #781796 by madmatt1
One of the first things I assess is what is inside the fuel tank. At the very least it's probably going to need an extensive cleaning out. It's handy to have one of those little auxiliary plastic fuel tanks with a hook on the top so you can hang them somewhere. In my opinion, a must have when you're trying to get carbs dialed in! Expect fuel lines and fuel joints to leak after sitting for that long too...

1977 KZ1000 LTD
1977 KZ1000A

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
14 Apr 2018 15:45 #781799 by Scirocco
Rinse, clean and inspect the tank for rust or debris.
Disassemble and clean the carb internals like, carb bowls, needle valves, jets, fuel and air passages.
Take pics of your progress and to confirm a before/after where the parts belong to.
Only use quality tools that fit right to prevent damages on the screws and jets!!!!

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Michael
Attachments:

More
14 Apr 2018 16:50 #781802 by 650ed
As stated earlier in this thread be sure to use JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screwdrivers - NOT Phillips; they definitely are different even though the screws look very much alike. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)