Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ750 twin [ 1976 ] 60's style Cafe Racer 06 Dec 2017 10:38 #775654

• beachcomber
  • beachcomber's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Turbo on it's way - should be here next week latest.
"I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure"
"I'm not going back to the Sixties .. I never left"
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ750 twin [ 1976 ] 60's style Cafe Racer 13 Dec 2017 09:55 #775971

• beachcomber
  • User
See one of my straplines - "I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure " !!!

back to the main plot ...... what a difference a day makes - or to be precise - half a day ! ;D

After a bit more research, I've worked out a satisfactory method to drive the blower, and blowers are my thing !

As well as the obvious progress in the pix, the blower manifolding / mountings have been worked out as well as the carb intake for the SU - which I guarantee will make you go weak at the knees ! ;). The exhaust has been swung over to the other side - and will also look the bollox.

Also rough mounting points for the seat and "tank". The seat is sitting 2" high in the pix as it's currently over the tie down straps. The Tarrozi fork brace is total bollox ............. nowhere near - after I had to order it specially - and of course pay a premium.

There is loads of room for the fuel cell [ under frame ] which again has worked out a treat. Room for TWO NOS bottles hidden under the "tank".

A lot of other "whatif" ideas have also been crystallized.

Thanx to my pal Brian - who is barely well enough to move into the garage, never mind carry out the precision fab work.

So YES, it will be Eaton blower now, anyone want a new CT20 turbo !!!!
Attachments:

KZ750 twin [ 1976 ] 60's style Cafe Racer 13 Dec 2017 15:41 #776000

• AtLarge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 21
That's going to be Da Bomb. :-)
1973 Honda CL70-K3
1975 Kawasaki 350 F9-C
1983 Kawasaki KZ750-K1
1994 BMW K1100RS
2008 Suzuki GSX1300-BKK8 #1120

KZ750 twin [ 1976 ] 60's style Cafe Racer 13 Dec 2017 21:25 #776011

• jeffz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
Hat's off for your ambition, sir!

KZ750 twin [ 1976 ] 60's style Cafe Racer 14 Dec 2017 01:51 #776017

• beachcomber
  • User
Thanx for the kind words and encouragement guys.

After 5 years of serious health issues I've got a temporary all clear and I intend to make the best use of it that I can !

Lack of facilities [ and fab / welding skills ] means I have to get a lot of my ideas outsourced. Here in the UK it's almost impossible to find that small "hobby machine shop" guy who's willing to help out - and the big places are just plain not interested. since I retired and sold my business 15 years ago, I've lost touch with all the contemporary trades guys I used - that or they've retired / fallen off the perch !! I have built 100's [ literally ] of Cafe Racers back in the 60's - for myself and other people - so I have a solid idea of what I want this bike to look like style wise. Anyway ...... moving along now.

KZ750 twin [ 1976 ] 60's style Cafe Racer 21 Dec 2017 03:16 #776448

• beachcomber
  • User
A few more parts arrived ready for an onslaught after the Christmas break. i now have an 1 3/4" SU in excellent condition - so I have a choice now of 2" and 1 3/4". I also bought some stainless steel terrine moulds [ !! ]which are ideal size and shape to base the blower plenum on ! At £2 each - cheaper than getting something fabbed up ! I also ordered some more random stainless steel bends to make up the blower manifolding. I've found a guy who can fab up the under frame fuel cell and also a couple of belly fairings that might do the job of covering the tank.
Attachments:

KZ750 twin [ 1976 ] 60's style Cafe Racer 18 Jan 2018 12:14 #777399

• beachcomber
  • User
What a difference a Christmas break makes ! Out goes the underframe fuel cell - not allowed in the regs. With the switch back to using the Eaton supercharger THERE'S NOW ROOM IN THE FRAME TRIANGLE BEHIND THE ENGINE FOR A 2.5 GALLON [ IMP ] FUEL CELL. !
After getting quotes of £125 - £175 to get a fuel cell made in the UK - I found a unit on Chinabay with almost the exact measurements I needed - price ??? £56 delivered ! That should be here next week then we can get on with mocking up the blower / carb plumbing.

The forks have now been assembled with the new springs - actually managed to get the fork caps on without cross threading them ! That means we can now finalise the front and rear wheel spindles and once they're made - the chassis is truly "rolling "
Attachments:

KZ750 twin [ 1976 ] 60's style Cafe Racer 21 Feb 2018 16:23 #779138

• beachcomber
  • User
Oh dear ..... my pal measured wrong !! The tank I bought will NOT fit in behind the engine as thought. back to plan A. The tank WILL now go under the frame ! Having declared it illegal in the regs. it appears they didn't read my specs correctly and the fact there is a reinforced GRP belly tank fairing covering the tank was overlooked - now LEGAL again. I've ordered a generic Superbike belly pan from ragged Edge Racing here in the UK. Should be here in the next week o two. It's the one on the right [ scroll up ]. I've now collected my new twin plug head and donor late engine [ 1980 ] together with new pistons and rings, gasket set and a spare exhaust cam that I'm modifying to go in the intake position [ ie ex. spec cams for intake and ex. ]. Next job is to make templates for the blower mounting and finalise the front and rear wheel spindles and spacers so the chassis will be truly rolling.

• Page: