Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

82 KZ750/GPZ-R1 project 11 Dec 2021 23:31 #858974

• Ojisan rider
  • Ojisan rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 63
Continued from previous post.

Cycle Terminals even had 90 degree bullet terminals. Right is the original Kawasaki, left is the one Cycle Terminals sent me. I forgot to ask Joe if he has the cover for this terminals, so for now, I have the stock one covering this (this one is for the Neutral finder switch). Sticks out little from the stock cover. Sorry, I don't have the picture of that.

New and the old. Coil terminals.

Same as before. Horn terminals. I had to fix these just in case. Safety check in our state requires the horns to be working. So is the turn signals but I need to get them first.

I also need to work on turn signal and hazard relay terminals, but I'm planning to use newer style plastic relay, so will wait until I get those. I know the style of terminals, but I need to see if I can use the regular female or need to go with flag style. I'm also planning to make new electrical brackets, so that's another thing to consider.

Last one is the image from my disassembled speedo. I don't know what it is called, but the one in the picture was very hard to turn. Maybe the reason why my speedo was always off, showing much slower speed than actually was. I can't remember how many times I got pulled over but escaped tickets almost every time. But this was in early 80's.

As for the speedo, I probably go to round style gauges for now. I'll get what I need later down the line. But I just need to get this baby on the road as soon as possible so I can go to motorcycle safety course to get back my license. Mine expired looooooooooooooooooong ago. yeah, don't ask...............
82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

82 KZ750/GPZ-R1 project 20 Dec 2021 12:21 #859358

• The_Fixer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have been trying to restore my harness as well without using solder.
Like you have found, it isn't all that easy.

Soldering is not recommended practice, as the wicking action of solder up the wire tends to lead to embrittlement of the connection and needs more support from vibration.
Not only that, but the heat also degrades the insulation

But you do what you have to do. If you can manage to minimise the wicking and heat, all the better.

You certainly seem to be doing great work, the project is looking awesome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.