KZ1100R Restoration Project

More
20 Aug 2017 11:05 - 20 Aug 2017 11:10 #769305 by cruzi
KZ1100R Restoration Project was created by cruzi
I brought this bike in 1990 as its second owner having had a previous life in Canada. came to me in Stardust Silver.
After enjoying it for 8 years it was starting to look in need of cosmetic work. I stripped it down and had the frame repainted and many other parts too and started to reassemble it during 1998-2000. the project got put on hold and stored in a friends garage, mostly greased up for 17 years.
Recently I picked the bike up to finish what I started. over the years when ever I thought about this project it put me on a downer as it was unfinished.
The Frame paint job had survived reasonably well. other parts had not.
During the original restoration I had the forks re-chromed and rebuilt, they still look fine. The Brakes were also rebuilt and I made the mistake of painting the Callipers, but I will remove the paint and Anodise them close to original finish.
Some parts mainly Wheels and Foot rest holders had suffered Corrosion under the paint so will need repainting.
The frame had most of its parts refitted from the Loom too all the other bits that bolt on.
I was never happy with the Front Disc replacements as they didn't mount to the wheels like originals so I will replace again, The rear disc does fit but will need refinishing as although new has surface rust.
I have yet to give the frame a full clean, removing all the grease to protect it, but the parts I did clean look good still after all these years. I hope that I don't need to paint the frame again, but will make a decision soon.

Some parts were lost after all these years, I was saddened to find out. like the Mudguard/Fender, but thanks to advice from Members I have managed to buy a new GPz1100B fender that will need hole modification and repainting from Fire Cracker Red to Green.
Also lost was the shocks, I have found close to original, same make from Japan. I hope to order and repaint to original colours. I have noticed that Zepher 750 shocks seem to be a nearly exact Match apart from the colour, so this could be an even better alternative. not sure if they are the same Length or fitment though! Not sure if any members can advise!

The oil cooler and pipe fittings were also lost, I think I have located second hand GPz1100A1 that should make for a good replacement once repainted.
The Worse thing that was lost was No 1 Cam Cap, thanks to advice from Members and even a Member finding me a second Hand Head I hope that the 2 Cylinder heads can be turned into 1 working one. also gratefully received advice on who can help Rebuild the 1170 engine. The original head had suffered after a mechanic didn't tighten the cam caps down and the cam lifted at 6000rpm fracturing the Rocker cover!

Hopefully the Pistons and Crank and gear are still OK as when last used and most of the work on the engine will be cosmetic repainting. wish full thinking.
The photos I will post are a bit embarrassing, the bike looks in a bad way and there is much to do to get it finished.
Re-Chroming the Handlebars and Grab Rail. Repainting the Fender, Bikini Faring, Side Panel's, Tail piece and Tank.

The original Kerker lost its baffle at 100mph, never to be found again. the UK models had pipes similar to GPz1100A1 and not realisng the Kerker was original it got junked! I kick myself now a new Kerkers are £1k and you have to lose your Main Stand.

Lots has been done and money spent many years ago, but there is still a fair amount to do to finish.

I'm guessing that financially there is more to spend out than the bike is worth, but its not about that. more about finishing a bike I Love (Not loved it enough though) and have had for 27 years.
any comments or help appreciated.
John.

Kawasaki Z1100R (Since 1990)
Past Bikes...
Kawasaki ZRX1100
Kawasaki Z1000R
Kawasaki GPZ1100 (UniTrack)
Kawasaki Z1300
Suzuki GS550 L
Yamaha RD400 DX
Yamaha RD250
Suzuki 250 X7
Suzuki 200 X5
Yamaha RS200
Suzuki GT125
Kawasaki KE100
Yamaha YG1 80
Last edit: 20 Aug 2017 11:10 by cruzi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glenn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2017 18:18 #769324 by mopguy
Replied by mopguy on topic KZ1100R Restoration Project
Since my accident I have two bikes on hold for 3 years, and when my body and pockets are up to the task I will finish what I started, So I guess its never too late to finish the project you started, good luck and save another Kaw..

I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cruzi

More
21 Aug 2017 05:56 #769345 by cruzi
Replied by cruzi on topic KZ1100R Restoration Project
Sorry to hear you have had an accident, lets hope you are well and find the money to complete your project. Money was the reason my bike was on hold for so long, there often seems to be other things you need to spend money on that are more urgent.

Past Bikes...
Kawasaki ZRX1100
Kawasaki Z1000R
Kawasaki Z1300
Suzuki GS550 L
Yamaha RD400 DX
Yamaha RD250
Suzuki 250 X7
Suzuki 200 X5
Yamaha RS200
Suzuki GT125
Kawasaki KE100
Yamaha YG1 80

• Glenn
  • User
  • 1984 KZ1100R, 2015 Versys650 LT, 2008 KLR685
More
21 Aug 2017 17:54 #769397 by Glenn
Replied by Glenn on topic KZ1100R Restoration Project
Glad to see you continuing on with this. Lots to do, a lot of it cosmetic. Are you going to paint it lime green, (R-2 style)? I'll follow this thread for sure. :)

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.
Steve McQueen
The following user(s) said Thank You: cruzi

More
21 Aug 2017 19:38 #769407 by cruzi
Hi Thanks Glen for your interest, I did try and send you a PM a while back, as I kept looking at your amazing bike when it was Bike of the Month. it gave me lots of inspiration, as you see from my bike I have a long way to go. Mine like yours was Stardust Silver when new. I chose to paint mine back in 1990 Black to make it less noticeable to reduce the speeding fines I was attracting at the time!
I was a bit gutted this Sunday as someone beat me to a Cylinder head. as I have lost the No1 Cam Cap from mine. and a few other bits that I listed too!
I have had a bit of good news today, and may have a spare Tank, Side Panels, Tail Piece and Bikini Fairing. I don't need these parts But would be nice for Back up.
I have Been offered another Engine too! it like mine is 1170 and had lots of other work done too! it seems to be recently built and ready to go! only draw back is that its £4000, but its an unknown cost to overhaul my original Engine!
I think it will be slow progress on my project to start with as I havan't got all the funds to do it in one go, and at the moment I'm just trying to replace the lost bits and decide what is the best way forward. rebuild old lump or buy the one I mentioned!
It's a shame that the frame paint has a couple of tiny rust worms, apart from that I think its survived! really didn't fancy starting again. if there is any way I could see all your photo that was on Bike of the month that would be great.
Also there is a few things you maybe able to help me with, like the length of Rear Shocks, as I hope to order some from Japan, its a long way to send them Back if not right. I will send you a PM with the ones I think are a close match see what you think!
Thanks for your message Glen. I don't know any other owner of a KZ1100R 2
Regards
John.

Past Bikes...
Kawasaki ZRX1100
Kawasaki Z1000R
Kawasaki Z1300
Suzuki GS550 L
Yamaha RD400 DX
Yamaha RD250
Suzuki 250 X7
Suzuki 200 X5
Yamaha RS200
Suzuki GT125
Kawasaki KE100
Yamaha YG1 80

More
21 Aug 2017 20:14 #769412 by cruzi
Yes glen, as my riding style has matured a bit with age, I Will go Green.

Past Bikes...
Kawasaki ZRX1100
Kawasaki Z1000R
Kawasaki Z1300
Suzuki GS550 L
Yamaha RD400 DX
Yamaha RD250
Suzuki 250 X7
Suzuki 200 X5
Yamaha RS200
Suzuki GT125
Kawasaki KE100
Yamaha YG1 80