82' GPz550 Project (please help)

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
04 Jun 2017 08:28 #763509 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic 82' GPz550 Project (please help)
My 750R1 has wear here, as an advisory on the last MOT (uk annual roadworthiness check) . I replaced the top and bottom bushings and fork tubes but the wear is in the fork leg. Mileage is about 45k although I suspect bad maintenance and missed oil changes may be partly to blame. Also running them with worn bushings transferred the wear to the bodies and accelerated it.

I accept that this is abnormal wear, even kawasaki never listed the bottom bush as a part -only complete fork tube assembly.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2017 18:03 #763549 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 82' GPz550 Project (please help)

Tyrell Corp wrote: My 750R1 has wear here, as an advisory on the last MOT (uk annual roadworthiness check) . I replaced the top and bottom bushings and fork tubes but the wear is in the fork leg. Mileage is about 45k although I suspect bad maintenance and missed oil changes may be partly to blame. Also running them with worn bushings transferred the wear to the bodies and accelerated it.

I accept that this is abnormal wear, even kawasaki never listed the bottom bush as a part -only complete fork tube assembly.

That's my exact situation on the 550's as well. The lower Babbitt bushing is part of the fork tube, so it's not available separately. But the real problem on one of my high-milers... no clue how many, but many... the inside of the fork leg is no longer a perfect cylinder. The diameter is hogged out where the lower bushing would normally ride. It makes a very slight clunk if conditions are right... speed, braking force, maybe seating position etc. I spent hours trying to figure out where the clunk was as it feels like the head bearings, but I replaced them twice with tapered bearings and all of that was rock-solid. Eventually I figured out the fork leg was loose in just the right spot and would make a slight clunk.

More
05 Jun 2017 08:35 #763589 by GPzNoob
Replied by GPzNoob on topic 82' GPz550 Project (please help)
The bike only has 23,000 miles on it.

I'll try putting in some quality fork oil and seeing what that does for me before i disassemble it all. I'll only disassemble it if the seals look like theyre leaking with the new oil. I rode it back maybe 50miles and there were no visible leaks.

The footpeg rubbers are actually fine as far as signs of it being dropped. the only wear is the areas where your actual foot would go which I'll go ahead and assume is normal for a 35 year old bike haha.