82' GPz550 Project (please help)

More
31 May 2017 16:49 #763198 by GPzNoob
82' GPz550 Project (please help) was created by GPzNoob
Hey everyone, just got a 82' GPz550 that needs lots of love. I'll use this as a 'pls help' and build thread if anyone's interested in helping me or following the progress.

Physical:
  • [strike]remove cruiser pedals[/strike]
  • New front headlight (no idea where or what to get)
  • New tires/wheels?
  • Cut frame for saddle (angle grinder and tig welder?)
  • Clubman bars
  • -New grips
    -New levers
  • Frame
  • -Sand down
    -Prime
    -Paint black
  • Tank
  • -Sand
    -Prime
    -decide on color scheme/design
    -paint
Mechanical:
  • New levers/grips means clutch or brake adjustment?
  • Clutch adjustment (previous owner said it comes loose sometimes when riding... very worrisome)
  • Oil Change (401 filter)
  • Front Shocks are 'soft'; possibly need to be rebuilt or was this intentional?

• Electrical:
  • [strike]new battery[/strike]
  • Tacho jumps with left turn signal (alternator problem? fuse? burnt board?)
  • Left turn signal doesn't blink (pre-new battery must check)
  • Tacho backlight doesn't work/isn't plugged in?
  • Fuel sensor doesn't work (need to check float/float sensor?)
  • Get new brake lights
  • Attachments:
    The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    31 May 2017 17:51 #763201 by Nessism
    Replied by Nessism on topic 82' GPz550 Project (please help)
    List of suggestions...

Get bike running 100% before performing mods.

- full carb teardown, soak parts in carb dip, reassemble with all new O-rings and gaskets
    - Valve adjustment
    - Brake calipers and master cylinders tear down and clean out. New seals and brake lines. Replace pads as needed.
    - New wheel bearings and tires
    - New/clean air filter
    - New cables
    - Change the oil and filter
    - New chain (if needed)
    - Change fork oil

That will keep you busy for a while...

• Tyrell Corp
    • User
    • "You were made as well as we could make you"
    More
    01 Jun 2017 23:58 #763283 by Tyrell Corp
    Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic 82' GPz550 Project (please help)
    Apart from the awful rattle can paint and the missing front fairing it looks quite original. Note the rear tyre wear and footpeg rubbers

Personally I hate seeing these seat rail chops, if you must then this model isn't the best candidate. Bearing mind the early unitrack rear suspension is quite bulky hence the repositioned battery, on previous twin shock models this was located under the seat, and longer wheelbase.

Does it run? have you ridden it?

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

More
    02 Jun 2017 08:41 #763330 by GPzNoob
    Replied by GPzNoob on topic 82' GPz550 Project (please help)
    Yeah, i'm actually in the process of stripping down the tank right now and the front fender is next. I've noted the rear tire wear and the footpeg rubbers as well. I don't care much for the footpegs being worn at the moment.

Yes it runs perfectly. Idle is good, the carbs were rejetted when the previous owner put on the airpods.
    I have ridden it and heres my problems with it:
    -as stated in OP, the tacho jumps with the left turn signal for some reason. I dont know what the problem is and I am no electrician
    -front shocks definitely need to be rebuilt as it feels very soft and this year does not have anti-dive
    -rear tire needs replacement but it still does have enough grip for casual, hot, dry, paved road. I won't be kicking this bike down the line anyways
    -the previous owner has told me that it overheats if im pushing it in 90degree+ weather
    -previous owner also told me that sometimes when riding he said the clutch at the lever comes loose and needs to be tightened if it rattles out (i will be replacing the levers and the clutch cable)

• Tyrell Corp
    • User
    More
    03 Jun 2017 03:02 - 03 Jun 2017 03:03 #763389 by Tyrell Corp
    I've noted the rear tire wear and the footpeg rubbers as well.

What I meant was the rear tyre has no side wall wear, my rear tyres are scrubbed to about 10mm of the shoulders either side , and that is just safe road riding. Likewise when these go down the road on their sides the footpeg rubbers get mangled.

as stated in OP, the tacho jumps with the left turn signal for some reason. I dont know what the problem is and I am no electrician

Check /clean up your ground points - yellow/black -ve wires. Odd things can happen when only half of the circuit iis working properly.

-front shocks definitely need to be rebuilt as it feels very soft and this year does not have anti-dive

Yes, also they are air assisted -whether you chose to use it or not.

-rear tire needs replacement but it still does have enough grip for casual, hot, dry, paved road. I won't be kicking this bike down the line anyways

Old rubber gets hard and loses it's stickiness, if perished or damaged then dump them asap

-the previous owner has told me that it overheats if im pushing it in 90degree+ weather

Maybe needs to go a touch richer on main jet, maybe lift the needle a notch and do a plug chop.

-previous owner also told me that sometimes when riding he said the clutch at the lever comes loose and needs to be tightened if it rattles out (i will be replacing the levers and the clutch cable)

Some models have an interlock where it won't start unless the clutch is pulled in - easy to disconnect though. Clutch adjustment is a tricky, research it here first.

Last edit: 03 Jun 2017 03:03 by Tyrell Corp.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: GPzNoob

• CoreyClough
    • User
    • GPz550 Addiction
    More
    03 Jun 2017 06:00 #763394 by CoreyClough
    Replied by CoreyClough on topic 82' GPz550 Project (please help)
    I agree. Get it to run in it's current state, before modifying it.

Do you have a manual for this bike? I have links to the Factory Manuals in my signature, and Lou has a great site full of information:
    gpzweb.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/index.html

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
    GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
    GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
    First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
    03 Jun 2017 06:18 #763395 by 650ed
    Replied by 650ed on topic 82' GPz550 Project (please help)

GPzNoob wrote: .......................

There's nothing in the forks to rebuild. The odds are that previous owners neglected to change the fork oil on a regular basis, and that can result in poor fork performance. Here's what I recommend -

- Use fresh fork oil to thoroughly flush out all the old fork oil and any residue that may be in the forks.
    - Fill the forks to the correct level (using the instructions and specs in the Kawasaki Service Manual ) with fresh fork oil.
    - Adjust the air pressure as the manual specifies, but do no pump the pressure up above the spec or you risk blowing the seals.

I use Bel Ray 15 w fork oil and it works great for me. If you find the forks to be too soft or too stiff you can adjust the Bel Ray fork oil weight by trying different weights or mixing to you find the sweet spot for you. Bel Ray makes fork oil in weights varying from 2.5w to 30w (see link below), so you will definitely be able to find one that works best for you. Ed

www.belray.com/bel-ray-high-performance-fork-oil

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
    03 Jun 2017 06:53 #763398 by TexasKZ
    Replied by TexasKZ on topic 82' GPz550 Project (please help)
    The fork seals could also be worn out. As long as you have them apart to clean out all the grunge, it would be, in my opinion, foolish not to replace the seals.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
    1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
    2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
    03 Jun 2017 07:23 #763400 by 650ed

TexasKZ wrote: The fork seals could also be worn out. As long as you have them apart to clean out all the grunge, it would be, in my opinion, foolish not to replace the seals.

I certainly agree; if you decide to disassemble the forks replace the seals. If purging the old fork oil and replenishing it solves the problem and, more importantly, if the seals are not leaking they probably are ok. Ed

• Tyrell Corp
    • User
    More
    04 Jun 2017 02:06 #763485 by Tyrell Corp
    There's nothing in the forks to rebuild

The top and bottom bushes can wear, also the fork leg body which gives a clunky feel under braking. Wear here will be easy to see.

More
    04 Jun 2017 04:34 #763488 by 650ed
    The top bush is replaceable, but how high would the mileage be before it was worn? I had my forks apart at 46,000 miles for cosmetic reasons and the internals all still looked like new. With more than 60,000 miles my front forks still work as they did when new. I would think the bike would have far more than 100,000 miles before things began to wear out inside the forks. Maybe RonKZ650 could shed some light on the subject. One of his bikes has more than 165,000 miles and I do not think he has ever replaced parts inside the forks; only the seals. Ed

• CoreyClough
    • User
    • GPz550 Addiction
    More
    04 Jun 2017 06:41 #763500 by CoreyClough
    Replied by CoreyClough on topic 82' GPz550 Project (please help)
    Inspect the fork tube chrome where the seals ride up and down. Make sure thee is no pitting, or the new seals will leak. How many miles are on this bike?

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
    GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
    GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
    First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp