78-80 KZ/CSR frame/engine

More
07 Dec 2016 17:26 - 07 Dec 2016 17:28 #749736 by Timbox
78-80 KZ/CSR frame/engine was created by Timbox
Now that the snow is on the ground here in WI, time to get back to the project bike or bikes. Today cleaned up the carbs, changed the oil and got the bugs worked out of the starter circuit. It ended up being a bad starter solenoid. swapped that out and she started turning over.

As I was trying to start the bike, the mechanical portion of of the stater is no longer moving the crank. Normally this is the centrifugal force and springs on the clutch, but not this time. I can hear the starter spinning and that is it. Not too sure if the chain from the starter gear to the starter clutch gear fell of or what? I will break into it soon to find out. Sense I have to do this combo bike I will also break into the other 1978 KZ twin and fix the starter clutch.

Looking to see if I can use a 78 KZ Twin carb set on a 80 750 CSR engine? I am guessing is should be a working set. Nice to be working on project bikes again. I am not longer a cold weather person but at least it gives me time to work on fun things.

Attachment DSCN0380.JPG not found

Long time shade tree wrencher
KZ750 B3 (current Project)
03 B12S
09 KLR650
86 FJ1200
ZX14 (sold)
ZRX1200R (sold) Best bike I have ever owned, need another one
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Dec 2016 17:28 by Timbox. Reason: Wording

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2016 19:25 #749795 by Timbox
Replied by Timbox on topic Starter clutch
Got to look at bot the twins today, both the starter clutches were acting up. Pulled the covers, removed the LH stater clutch bolt and took at look.

The LH bolt on both bikes seemed very loose, no damage to the three hex hed nuts like there normally is from getting loose and rubbing. The three springs on each were okay but I pulled them and elongated them a little. Cleaned all bolt threds with B12, put a little blue LockTite on them, resembled starter clutch and let them sit over night. Put them on each bike on Friday, fill with oil and see what I get.

Trying to get one of these twins to start after a long hibernation without a electric stater is not fun.

Long time shade tree wrencher
KZ750 B3 (current Project)
03 B12S
09 KLR650
86 FJ1200
ZX14 (sold)
ZRX1200R (sold) Best bike I have ever owned, need another one

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.