Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

85 GPz 750 Cafe Project 16 Sep 2017 13:29 #771029

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I was working on some SV650 CV carbs and Gpz550 CV carbs the other day I just had a thought.

Both of the above carbs have an enricher circuit instead of an actual choke. When you pull the choke, a valve opens to allow for more fuel to flow, but also, another valve opens to disable the slide from opening up under light throttle. On both of the above carbs, I found the problem was the choke were always active, even though they appeared to be off.

In the case of the SV, the choke cable was pinched in between the frame and a carburetor bracket. This caused the choke to stay on all the time. The main symptom was the slide would not open due to the vacuum valve being in bypass mode, preventing vacuum from lifting the slide. This yielded a mixture so rich it wouldn't even burn. The SV was only running on one cylinder. Freeing the choke cable fixed it.

In the case of the Gpz, the detent ball holding the choke rod in the off position was lost, so with vibration the choke would come on ever so slightly with the mixture ending up very rich and possibly hampering the slide operation.

If you still have the defective 750 carbs, I'd look to see if there is a positive feel to the choke rod turning off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

85 GPz 750 Cafe Project 16 Sep 2017 20:22 #771068

• ajsfirehawk
  • ajsfirehawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 89
I know exactly what you are talking about Loudhvx. These are the rods with the detent balls. I bought extras of both and ensure I get positive detent. Both springs and ball bearings are in place. I do appreciate the thought.

I'll take another look just to double check. They just aren't that complex so it seems like I should be able to find an answer. Thank you much for sharing the thoughts.
79 KZ650 SR
80 KZ1000 Z1 Classic
83 KZ1100 LTD
Z900RS
23 Mach 1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.