KZ650 resto-mod build thread.

More
21 Jul 2016 21:15 #735800 by low91crx
KZ650 resto-mod build thread. was created by low91crx
Hey guys, thought I would create a thread to chronicle a build of my KZ650. I initially bought the bike for $500 figured I would clean it up, get it running and put around town with it. Of course this idea didn't last long as my brain began thinking up all kinds of crazy Ideas for this bike. So disassembly began, the plan was to retain the tank frame and engine. Everything else would be updated from an 07 zx6r. I did a lot of research and Im kind of building this as I go. Not sure if I want to do monoshock or duals yet. Anyway on to a few pictures so I don't bore you with my rambling.

Here's the thing when I first picked it up, it was in rough shape and the previous owner spray bombed everything I hate that.

[IMG

[IMG

Some disassembly

[IMG

[IMG

Pulled all the engine covers off and began to paint and finish them.

[IMG

That one is done in Hi temp wrinkle black by VHT. Sanded the raised areas off. It's the same for the other side.

I then removed the engine a bitch process by myself, and now I have a bare frame for my imagination to run wild lol.

[IMG

1980 Kz650 Updated street fighter in progress.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2016 21:16 #735801 by low91crx
Replied by low91crx on topic KZ650 resto-mod build thread.
[IMG

Began the body work on the tank, not much to actually do. I quite like the look of the "coffin tank" but it looks a little small. well see how it looks when the bike is all together. Still undecided on a color.

[IMG

[IMG

A few parts began to roll in my zx6r swingarm and rear wheel.

[IMG

Fitted the swinger to the frame but I still need to make some type of bushing for the end of the swinger and a spacer so I can retain the original kz swinger bolt.

[IMG

[IMG

More
21 Jul 2016 21:18 #735802 by low91crx
[IMG

[IMG

My front end rolled in I was hopeful I could just buy bearings to fit this front but the stem was so thick it didn't even fit inside the kz neck.

[IMG

[IMG

More
21 Jul 2016 21:19 #735803 by low91crx
Grinded the weld at the bottom of the original KZ lower triple and pressed out the KZ stem.

[IMG

Cut the stem off the ZX6r lower triple

[IMG

You can clearly see the difference in size between the two stems. The KZ is on the left zx6r on the right

[IMG

This is the lower portion of the original KZ stem that will be pressed into the zx6r lower triple, so I can use original kz bearings.

[IMG

That's all I have for right now. I will update as I go along, the front end going on will be my first order of business. Then I will move on to frame paint which will be black. Then engine getting painted and going in.

More
14 Aug 2016 21:40 #738708 by low91crx
Current situation got the lower triple bored and the KZ stem pressed in. Took the machine shop over a week to get this done :angry:

[IMG

KZ all balls stem mearings on

[IMG

[IMG

Also picked up a mini lathe to make small bushings and and things I cant buy off the shelf. Pretty cool little machine

[IMG

More
14 Aug 2016 21:47 #738710 by low91crx
Finally got the forks on

[IMG

KZ front rim on there temporarily just so I can roll her around. Shes starting to look like a bike again its nice to be able to visualize what its gonna look like.

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

More
15 Aug 2016 13:37 #738784 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic KZ650 resto-mod build thread.
Looking good. That is the perfect bike to do that with. It makes me sick every time I see someone hack up a nice original.