Need some help and info

More
13 May 2016 08:54 - 13 May 2016 09:27 #726150 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Need some help and info

650ed wrote:

The_Proletariat wrote: You want a 12.5mm or 12.7mm master cylinder. Replace the brake line as well. A new braided line is not expensive.

650ed wrote: the correct bore size for a single front disk brake system is 14mm

A 14mm master cylinder may cause high brake lever effort.

I don't understand your statement. I am under the impression that the original MC bore for the single disk system shown is 14mm, so why would that cause high brake lever effort. Didn't every KZ bike with a single front disk come from the factory with a 14mm bore? Ed

Am also under the impression that the original MC bore for the single disk system shown is 14mm, and that every KZ bike with a single front disk came from the factory with a 14mm bore.

Would closely inspect the underside of the master cylinder at hand to see if it has the size embossed, such as 14 MM or possibly a smaller size.

Could also use a caliper to measure the bore of the master cylinder at hand to see whether it's a 14mm or something smaller.

A master cylinder larger than stock will produce a wooden feel requiring a harder squeeze than needed with the stock size.
This is usually the case where a larger size m/c is used to replace the stock m/c while leaving the single disc front brake.
In general, dual front disc brake uses a larger m/c than does a single front disc brake.
When adding a 2nd disc to a stock single disc front wheel brake, the larger m/c should also be fitted to replace the stock m/c.

A master cylinder smaller than stock will be over-sensitive whereby an emergency brake application could result in front wheel lock-up and loss of control, especially on wet or damp pavement, or dirt road, or oil patch on road, or leaves on the road, etc., all undesirable, especially when riding leaned over in a curve.
This is usually the case where the stock m/c with stock single disc front brake is kept when adding a 2nd disc to the front brake.

Note that the original Z1 came with a single front disc and a 14mm m/c.
A kit was available from the factory to convert the Z1's stock single disc front brake to a dual disc front brake system.
Along with the additional rotor, lines, caliper, etc., the factory kit also included a larger 5/8" m/c.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 13 May 2016 09:27 by Patton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2016 13:07 #726216 by BrimmyP
Replied by BrimmyP on topic Need some help and info
So could I put a Honda oe 14mm piston on there? www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CCN17BI/ref=mp...pFzNPf93L&ref=plSrch

More
13 May 2016 13:22 #726219 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Need some help and info
Keep in mind if you do not use Kawasaki parts on your Kawasaki you are going to need to make modifications to accommodate your front brake light switch and your clutch lever / neutral lockout switch because the new units will not match your bike's setup. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrimmyP

More
13 May 2016 14:36 #726227 by BrimmyP
Well to buy oem Kawasaki from Kawasaki the dealer near me wants almost $500 for one

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 May 2016 14:53 #726229 by SWest
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrimmyP

• The_Proletariat
  • User
  • "Cocaine is a hell of a drug"
More
13 May 2016 17:26 - 13 May 2016 17:34 #726244 by The_Proletariat
Replied by The_Proletariat on topic Need some help and info

Patton wrote:

650ed wrote:

The_Proletariat wrote: You want a 12.5mm or 12.7mm master cylinder. Replace the brake line as well. A new braided line is not expensive.

650ed wrote: the correct bore size for a single front disk brake system is 14mm

A 14mm master cylinder may cause high brake lever effort.

I don't understand your statement. I am under the impression that the original MC bore for the single disk system shown is 14mm, so why would that cause high brake lever effort. Didn't every KZ bike with a single front disk come from the factory with a 14mm bore? Ed

Am also under the impression that the original MC bore for the single disk system shown is 14mm, and that every KZ bike with a single front disk came from the factory with a 14mm bore.

Would closely inspect the underside of the master cylinder at hand to see if it has the size embossed, such as 14 MM or possibly a smaller size.

Could also use a caliper to measure the bore of the master cylinder at hand to see whether it's a 14mm or something smaller.

A master cylinder larger than stock will produce a wooden feel requiring a harder squeeze than needed with the stock size.
This is usually the case where a larger size m/c is used to replace the stock m/c while leaving the single disc front brake.
In general, dual front disc brake uses a larger m/c than does a single front disc brake.
When adding a 2nd disc to a stock single disc front wheel brake, the larger m/c should also be fitted to replace the stock m/c.

A master cylinder smaller than stock will be over-sensitive whereby an emergency brake application could result in front wheel lock-up and loss of control, especially on wet or damp pavement, or dirt road, or oil patch on road, or leaves on the road, etc., all undesirable, especially when riding leaned over in a curve.
This is usually the case where the stock m/c with stock single disc front brake is kept when adding a 2nd disc to the front brake.

Note that the original Z1 came with a single front disc and a 14mm m/c.
A kit was available from the factory to convert the Z1's stock single disc front brake to a dual disc front brake system.
Along with the additional rotor, lines, caliper, etc., the factory kit also included a larger 5/8" m/c.

Good Fortune! :)

The OE master cylinder on my 1982 KZ550C3 is cast with large raised numbers "1/2" which I assume to be the bore/piston size in inches, and in smaller print "1/9" which I assume to be the hydraulic ratio. 1/2 in = 12.7mm.

At the end of the day, I don't think he would have a problem with a 14mm master cylinder, but 12.7mm is the factory size for a KZ550C.

I still have my original master cylinder if the OP needs one.

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD
Last edit: 13 May 2016 17:34 by The_Proletariat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed, Patton, BrimmyP

More
13 May 2016 17:41 #726251 by BrimmyP
Does your original still work if so that would be great!

• The_Proletariat
  • User
More
13 May 2016 17:44 - 13 May 2016 17:45 #726254 by The_Proletariat

BrimmyP wrote: Does your original still work if so that would be great!

It is not in great condition appearance wise but it worked when I took it off 2 years ago. I bought superbike bars and it didn't fit.

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD
Last edit: 13 May 2016 17:45 by The_Proletariat.

More
16 May 2016 12:44 #726819 by lightitup
Replied by lightitup on topic Need some help and info
what master cylinder did u go with? I've got euro bars on mine and want a smaller unit on the handle bars.

81 kz 550 ltd

• The_Proletariat
  • User
More
16 May 2016 12:51 - 16 May 2016 12:52 #726822 by The_Proletariat
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

lightitup wrote: what master cylinder did u go with? I've got euro bars on mine and want a smaller unit on the handle bars.

I used one like this. There are a bunch of sellers selling this piece. I had to supply crush washers because it came with rubber washers, not copper.

If you don't want chinese something like this would work

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD
Last edit: 16 May 2016 12:52 by The_Proletariat.

More
16 May 2016 14:37 - 16 May 2016 14:46 #726836 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Need some help and info
The factory service manual for the 550 states the front master bore for a single disc bike is 14mm and 16mm for a dual front (Euro model?).

EDIT: found a reference to the 1981 bikes using a 12.8mm bore master for single brake bikes. I assume that carried forward for 1982.
Last edit: 16 May 2016 14:46 by Nessism.

• The_Proletariat
  • User
More
16 May 2016 14:56 - 16 May 2016 14:57 #726837 by The_Proletariat

Nessism wrote: The factory service manual for the 550 states the front master bore for a single disc bike is 14mm and 16mm for a dual front (Euro model?).

Attachment not found

That chart is for the original 550 model, maybe A? The 550 C has different brakes which is in the supplements in the back of the manual.

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD
Last edit: 16 May 2016 14:57 by The_Proletariat.