81 kz750 four cyclinder project

More
09 Apr 2016 20:02 #720120 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic 81 kz750 four cyclinder project
She looks nice. I got rid of the stock handlebars on mine too...

If you haven't switched to pods yet, check this thread out for some different opinions about it. There are more threads about them on the site too. I'd encourage looking them up as well.

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: drgnknite

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2016 18:08 #720232 by drgnknite
Replied by drgnknite on topic 81 kz750 four cyclinder project
Changed exhaust, got rid of sissy bar, and went with aftermarket smoked bullet blinkers. Oopps and yes was from a 80 550 that the trans was changed.

More
10 Apr 2016 19:03 #720242 by dom2570
Replied by dom2570 on topic 81 kz750 four cyclinder project
Switching to pods is a bad idea with the CV carbs. If you are not skilled at carb tuning the bike will not run correctly. Plus if you get stuck in a rain storm the pods will suck in water then you are really screwed. That bike is way to nice to chop up, it would really be ruining an investment, but you gotta do you. Check out this video as to why keeping the trusty airbox is a good idea, 33 to 3:50 is where you wanna watch.

Whip it like a mule!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed, Dirty Magic

More
10 Apr 2016 19:26 #720245 by Rockranch
Replied by Rockranch on topic 81 kz750 four cyclinder project

drgnknite wrote: Changed exhaust, got rid of sissy bar, and went with aftermarket smoked bullet blinkers. Oopps and yes was from a 80 550 that the trans was changed.

COOL! Can't wait to hear more. ................Mike

Vroom-vroom!

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1-all stock low mileage...
1 modified
1977 KZ1000 (awaiting resurrection!) :)
...and an old school Honda CB750 Chopper is next on my bucket list!

Oh...and a Pocket Rocket lol!!!

More
10 Apr 2016 19:40 - 10 Apr 2016 19:40 #720247 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 81 kz750 four cyclinder project
Good video - thanks!

One thing some folks tend to do is try to emulate changes they have seen on race bikes. So if a guy sees pods on a drag bike and that bike is fast he might assume that the pods will help make his street bike faster than it would be with the air box. However, generally speaking he is wrong particularly when it comes to stock engines. This is because the drag bike is running wide open throttle the whole race, the engine has been modified to consume vast quantities of fuel/air mixture, and the carbs have been tuned to provide maximum performance at wide open throttle and very high rpm. The drag bike may actually lose power at lower rpm & throttle openings, but of course the drag racer doesn't care since that low rpm loss has precious little affect on his 1/4 mile elapsed time. By contrast, the guy on the street is very rarely running his engine wide open throttle at top rpm despite the fact that he may do that occasionally. (If he was actually running the bike at top rpm & wide open throttle much of the time he would be rebuilding the engine VERY often.) So the loss of power related to pods at lower rpm and less than wide open throttle will often put the street bike at a power disadvantage because of the way a street bike is ridden. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 10 Apr 2016 19:40 by 650ed.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Apr 2016 20:48 #720253 by SWest

More
11 Apr 2016 04:39 - 11 Apr 2016 04:39 #720272 by Rockranch
Oh ya gotta LOVE pod threads and bobber threads...a dime a dozen, It wldn't be right to start and end each week without a new one. .........................Mike

Vroom-vroom!!!

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1 modified

Last edit: 11 Apr 2016 04:39 by Rockranch.

More
11 Apr 2016 10:53 #720370 by drgnknite
Replied by drgnknite on topic 81 kz750 four cyclinder project
Ok so im probably not going to switch to pods, but still want to go and shorten the aft end of the frame to just past the shocks and solo seat with a fender. Then add some custom paint. Would also like to change the gas filler cap, has anyone done this yet? The gas cap that is.

More
11 Apr 2016 11:37 #720379 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic 81 kz750 four cyclinder project

drgnknite wrote: Ok so im probably not going to switch to pods, but still want to go and shorten the aft end of the frame to just past the shocks and solo seat with a fender. Then add some custom paint. Would also like to change the gas filler cap, has anyone done this yet? The gas cap that is.

You'd be better off with pods than chopping off the frame and putting some plywood slab seat on the bike that will make your ass ache on any ride longer than 20 mins. Not to mention those low in back seats put your knees up in your chest and causes those to ache too.

More
11 Apr 2016 12:42 - 11 Apr 2016 12:43 #720387 by Rockranch

drgnknite wrote: Ok so im probably not going to switch to pods, but still want to go and shorten the aft end of the frame to just past the shocks and solo seat with a fender. Then add some custom paint. Would also like to change the gas filler cap, has anyone done this yet? The gas cap that is.

Nobody is saying the pod switch and necessary adjustments is 'IMpossible' and can not be done. However the headaches can be many and severe to achieve successful results. Contrary to what it may sound, there are a 'few' scattered successful conversions, and every single engine is different no matter how identical they may appear, and there is no tried and true formula that will work for any particular motor (setup) There are configs from successful people with a similar engine setup that may get you close. People are just saying that the likelihood of you ever being totally happy with it's overall performance is slim without many headaches along the way as evidenced by the thousands of threads in KZR's archives related to this very subject. Good luck with whatever you decide ..........................................Mike

Vroom-vroom!!!

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1 modified

Last edit: 11 Apr 2016 12:43 by Rockranch. Reason: msp

More
11 Apr 2016 15:36 #720408 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic 81 kz750 four cyclinder project

I replaced mine. It is fairly simple, two bolts at the back...you can see them when you fully open the cap.

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

More
11 Apr 2016 16:22 #720411 by dom2570
Replied by dom2570 on topic 81 kz750 four cyclinder project
I have UNI pod filters on my bike KZ750. It runs well, but I am working on switching back to the stock airbox and I have been screwed stuck on the side of the road during rain storms one too many times. There are not many good looking stock bikes around. If you must cut it up, make sure you do it right.

Whip it like a mule!