Master cylinder decisions

More
22 Mar 2016 07:29 #716719 by Trisha31
Master cylinder decisions was created by Trisha31
So the master cylinder looks terrible lots of caked up goo in it from its sitting time I can't find a new/refurbished one and u can't seem to find s kit to do it myself. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

Anyhow should I continue a relentless search our can/should I replace it?

Let me know what talk are thinking and I'll get some photos up

Kz750....The new Adventure!!!!

1981 KZ750 LTD (4s); 2007 HD Sportster 1200 XL low

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2016 08:36 #716741 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Master cylinder decisions
You're lucky. Rebuild kits for your master cylinders are easy to obtain. See the links below for a master cylinder rebuild kits for the 1981 KZ750-H2 (LTD). You may want to double check with K&L before ordering (see last link below). Ed

FRONT:
www.amazon.com/Supply-Master-Cylinder-Re...hicleType=motorcycle

REAR:
www.amazon.com/Supply-Master-Cylinder-Re...1-1&keywords=32-8053

K&L LINK:
www.klsupply.com/

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
22 Mar 2016 09:05 - 22 Mar 2016 09:11 #716750 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Master cylinder decisions
I would remove the piston & take a good look at the cylinder bore. it could be pitted n stuff, so a new piston kit might leak. Also, the top cover diaphragm tends to leak, so you'd need that as well. the calipers may need rebuilding too. and brake lines.
Z1Enterprises.com has the K&L mc kit & caliper stuff. not sure if they have the diaphragm.

Does your bike have the stock Ltd handlebars? if so, are you planning to replace them? in that case you'd want to get new bars first, then a replacement mc. usa-motorcycles-inc has new aftermarket master cylinders. eebbaaay. there are probably other sellers who have the same stuff.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2016 09:11 by martin_csr.

More
22 Mar 2016 09:22 #716752 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Master cylinder decisions
One of my next projects..... master cyl and caliber (have both kits from K and L waiting)..... got mine off Ebay ........ manual says replace hoses every 4 years too and since mine are 38 years old........ thinking its time. Some on here like and trust the OEM Kawasaki seals better to late for me though as I sprung for the K and L's a while back and before really looking into it...... agree on the diaphragm too but still need that.... have the plastic seal for that though.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
22 Mar 2016 09:37 - 22 Mar 2016 09:38 #716756 by Trisha31
Replied by Trisha31 on topic Master cylinder decisions
Good deal I have to remember eBay isn't the only source of parts...

I don't have the original handle bars but I don't really plan to change them out for now I want to check their comfort first I guess, as for now I plan to roll with them. I would prefer to keep the original cylinder so I'll be running with the rebuild kits first. Espically for the calipers as well.

Replacing the hoses has crossed my mind, they look good as far as I can tell but I don't know if that because they were replaced in appropriate time or they were just well maintained. Either way I'll be searching for replacements as well, better safe then sorry.
Thank you all!

Kz750....The new Adventure!!!!

1981 KZ750 LTD (4s); 2007 HD Sportster 1200 XL low
Last edit: 22 Mar 2016 09:38 by Trisha31.

More
22 Mar 2016 09:47 #716757 by Irish-Kawi
Replied by Irish-Kawi on topic Master cylinder decisions
Welcome Trish, and these guys are wicked smart and have pointed you in the right direction. Make sure to follow the advice of Martin and Ed, inspection is really important on those areas and pieces.

Brett

All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trisha31

More
22 Mar 2016 11:50 - 22 Mar 2016 11:51 #716778 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Master cylinder decisions
First thing is to inspect the bore of the master cylinder. There is a very high probability that if the reservoir is full of dark brown fluid with chunkies inside that the bore will be corrosion pitted. If that's the case just throw the master in the trash can and go get a new one.

If you get lucky and find the bore is in good condition then get an OEM Kawasaki master cylinder plunger w/new seals. I strongly advise against K&L rebuild kits since the quality is POOR. This is doubly true with their piston caliper kits but not limited to that. On three different occasions I have personally experienced poor quality from K&L brake system parts; two times caliper piston seals were the wrong size and one time, a master cylinder plunger was too large and scrapped inside the master bore. Never again.

Oh and be sure to tear down the calipers and clean them out. Replace the seals while you are at it and get new brake lines. The old lines are almost sure to be full of scale from decades of old fluid sitting in the lines.

Brakes are not to be taken lightly. Your life may depend on doing the job right the first time.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2016 11:51 by Nessism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trisha31

More
22 Mar 2016 13:19 - 22 Mar 2016 13:21 #716790 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Master cylinder decisions

Trisha31 wrote: ... I don't have the original handle bars but I don't really plan to change them out for now I want to check their comfort first I guess, as for now I plan to roll with them. I would prefer to keep the original cylinder so I'll be running with the rebuild kits first. Espically for the calipers as well. ....

The reason I asked about the bars is that the stock Ltd mc has an angled mount, so different bars can cause the mc reservoir to sit at a steep angle. some guys go ahead & ride like that, but I'd rather have it level or at least not tilted too much. And if you were going to change bars, you might want to do that first, then the mc.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2016 13:21 by martin_csr.