Cleaning up a 650 engine and carbs

• bluej58
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
24 Dec 2015 06:02 #704186 by bluej58
Cleaning up a 650 engine and carbs was created by bluej58
I found this 78 motor on Craigs list for a very good price and decided to grab it.
I don't know how many miles are on it but the screws on the clutch cover look like they have never been off, they are prefect, as is all the other screws and bolts.
The kid I got it from was going to try and build a go-cart with it.
The idea is to have a back up engine/carbs for my son's 78 kz650.
My plan right now is to clean it up a bit and pull the oil pan and have a look, then take it from there.

The carbs are a different story,
They are off a 77 C1 that I found on ebay, that supposedly moved, but when I got them they were froze up solid :pinch:
After soaking the slides in WD and Marvels for a couple days I used a hair drier and heated them up enough to get the lacquer softened to were they started moving again.
The chokes were froze too but came apart with some finessing.
I think that the jets and needle valves are original
The plan with the carbs is to break them down completely, get em dipped and do a total rebuild.

78 KZ1000 A2A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2015 06:58 #704195 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Cleaning up a 650 engine and carbs
That engine looks like a creampuff. Hopefully it's not just a case of someone using a pressure washer and blasting all the grime off. Pulling the oil pan is a good idea, and pull the valve cover too and check valve clearances. A good way to judge mileage is to see what size shims are installed. If they are all up in the 2.65+ range then you got yourself a low mileage engine.

More
24 Dec 2015 08:13 #704205 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Cleaning up a 650 engine and carbs
Sweet. B)