Kawasaki KZ 750 Spectre Rebuild - few questions

More
12 Jul 2014 20:11 - 12 Jul 2014 20:26 #639874 by ErikWithNoC
Hey guys,

Last year I bought a 1982 Kawasaki KZ 750 Spectre (and posted about it here). I've driven over 7,000 miles on it since then and have started noticing some problems so I've teared it down and working on rebuilding it. Anyways, I have a few questions that I hope you guys might be able to help me with:

- What is the stock throttle cable length? I replaced the handlebars with a lower style and the throttle cable is now over extended, causing some problems when turning the handlebar to the right or left. If no one knows, I'll take it off and measure it so I can order one a couple inches shorter. I'd just rather know before tearing it off.

- What other starter motors work for this model besides the one that came stock? Ebay is turning up no results for an actual starter motor for this bike, but I'm sure tons of bikes used the same starter.

- Would you recommend updating to steel braided brake lines? I took rough estimates of the front brake lines and I found a set (32" or 34", not sure exactly which size yet) for $36.

- Any tips on where to find the bolts that fasten the rims to the front wheel? As I was taking the torque screws out and all but one of them were fine...of course one of them was rounded out so I'm currently trying to figure out how to get the thing out, but I also need to find a replacement. They aren't standard bolts and I can't find any info on it from part diagrams online.

I have a Haynes manual on its way, so hopefully that will take care of most of my other questions (and maybe even these), but until then I'm somewhat shooting in the dark. So far my rebuild plan is as follows:

* Replaced solenoid relay
* Replace starter motor
* Replace clutch plates (have them)
* Replace brake lines
* Replace exhaust to 4 -1 MAC exhaust (ordered)
* Replace all outside bolts with stainless steel replacements and replace all old/damaged bolts
* Reshape the seat to a flatter looking style. I hate the giant hump in the seat.
* New throttle cable
* Replace auto cam chain tensioner with manual cam chain tensioner (have it)
* I'm having my carbs sent out to be professionally cleaned and synchronized
* Have all engine side covers, kick stand, foot pegs, passenger foot pegs, headlight bracket, wheels, handlebar, swingarm, etc sent out for powder coating (almost done disassembling)
* Get tank and fenders repainted (if interested, I can post my mock ups)
* And now for the most controversial change, air pods. I know I might get some flak from this and I have researched this tirelessly. I really dislike the way the airbox looks and I've grown extremely tired of affixing the breather tubes to the carbs. I have to rejet the carbs anyways due to the 4-1 exhaust so I mine as well go all the way since I already ordered the dyno jet kit.

I'll probably have more questions as I go along, but I'm hoping to have this completed by early August. Let me know if you have any answers to my questions, suggestions, etc. I'll try and update with pictures.

Thank you for reading!
Last edit: 12 Jul 2014 20:26 by ErikWithNoC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2014 20:31 #639875 by 650ed
According to Kawasaki.com the following models used the same starter motor:
KZ750-F1 (LTD Shaft) (1983)
KZ750-N1 (Spectre) (1982)
KZ750-N2 (Spectre) (1983)
You may want to just rebuild it. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ErikWithNoC

More
12 Jul 2014 20:35 #639876 by ErikWithNoC
Replied by ErikWithNoC on topic Kawasaki KZ 750 Spectre Rebuild - few questions
Hmmm. I had heard of people replacing the starter motor with one from a Honda CB, but I can't remember the details or find the details. I'll check Ebay for the LTD models starter motor. I had thought about rebuilding it; might be my best option.

More
12 Jul 2014 22:41 #639886 by Patton

ErikWithNoC wrote: ,,,1982 Kawasaki KZ 750 Spectre ,,,What is the stock throttle cable length?... so I can order one a couple inches shorter... steel braided brake lines?
- Any tips on where to find the bolts that fasten the rims to the front wheel? As I was taking the torque screws out and all but one of them were fine...of course one of them was rounded out so I'm currently trying to figure out how to get the thing out, but I also need to find a replacement. They aren't standard bolts and I can't find any info on it from part diagrams online.
I have a Haynes manual on its way,..

Would contact Z1 Enterprises regarding cable needs.

:huh: ...bolts that fasten the rims to the front wheel? :huh:

A genuine Kawasak1 Factory Service manual for the 1982 Kawasaki KZ 750 Spectre would most likely be a better choice.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
12 Jul 2014 23:23 #639888 by ErikWithNoC
Replied by ErikWithNoC on topic Kawasaki KZ 750 Spectre Rebuild - few questions
Love Z1, I've never contacted them, but I haven't seen any throttle cables listed for my model.

Here's a link to the wheel and torque screws I'm referring to. My description for them wasn't that clear. Hopefully this picture does a better job explaining.

More
13 Jul 2014 06:22 #639898 by Patton
kawasaki.com shows BOLT, SOCKET, 8X30 is part no. 92001-1951

Google 92001-1951 to see several possible vendor sources, including:
www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/kawasaki/KP-92001-1951.html

Z1E might have the needed throttle cable even though they aren't listed.

Custom cables are also available from MotionPro.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
13 Jul 2014 06:24 #639899 by Patton
Lots of good info on kawasaki.com, including parts diagrams, part names, part numbers, models sharing same part, availability, etc.

If needed, here's a link for help with navigating the kawasaki.com site and finding information.
Click > www.kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/37...imitstart=0&start=20

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD