1980 KZ650e LTD - Cafe Dreams -

• Greasedmonkey
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Jul 2014 19:56 #639518 by Greasedmonkey
1980 KZ650e LTD - Cafe Dreams - was created by Greasedmonkey
Here is my project. Ive had it for a few months and just recently started ordering parts to rebuild it. Ive got big plans, but for now I just want to ride it.

I picked the bike up from a friend for $200. Brought it back home and started looking for what I wanted to do with the bike. I have moved and been busy with work for a while, but I have had a few hours here and there to order a few things.

Its not much to look at now, but I hope to change that soon. I still need to find out where to get the parts to rebuild the forks until I can get my hands on something better, as well as rear shocks. I want to get new controls and switches, but not familiar enough with the bikes to know what works and what wont.

Ive found a clutch and brake master cyclnder combo to put on, but Im not sure if it will work. I also need to get a new throttle and cable set up, but again dont know what will work or not with my bike. TIme and reading will hopefully help with most of my issues. And help from anyone that already knows!

1980 KZ650E

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2014 08:56 #639567 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic 1980 KZ650e LTD - Cafe Dreams -
My 650 was a basket case when I started restoring it. You would be surprised how much part support there is for a project like yours.

The first thing you need is the factory service manual, get that before you do anything!

You can get fork seals from Kawasaki, just call a local dealer or go online. Z1 enterprises is a great resource for parts. For control cables the best way is to change your handlebars, or clip-ons (which ever you choose) and put your controls back on, you can measure the cable lengths you need and custom order motion pro cables form places like denniskirik.com etc.

I went with progressive rear shocks, a bit spendy but they drastically improved the ride.

Good Luck

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

More
10 Jul 2014 09:21 #639571 by Wosmo
Replied by Wosmo on topic 1980 KZ650e LTD - Cafe Dreams -
Rough beginning but I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes for you! :cheer:

Building a happy home, one bike at a time...

• Greasedmonkey
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jul 2014 11:34 #639596 by Greasedmonkey
Replied by Greasedmonkey on topic 1980 KZ650e LTD - Cafe Dreams -

Tyler wrote: My 650 was a basket case when I started restoring it. You would be surprised how much part support there is for a project like yours.

The first thing you need is the factory service manual, get that before you do anything!

You can get fork seals from Kawasaki, just call a local dealer or go online. Z1 enterprises is a great resource for parts. For control cables the best way is to change your handlebars, or clip-ons (which ever you choose) and put your controls back on, you can measure the cable lengths you need and custom order motion pro cables form places like denniskirik.com etc.

I went with progressive rear shocks, a bit spendy but they drastically improved the ride.

Good Luck

I did get a set of bars when I got the bike. Club man bars. Those will be going on. I got some orings coming to rebuild the carbs. I want it running and ridable before I get to deep into it.

1980 KZ650E

More
10 Jul 2014 13:08 #639621 by Wosmo
Replied by Wosmo on topic 1980 KZ650e LTD - Cafe Dreams -

Greasedmonkey wrote: I want it running and ridable before I get to deep into it.

ALWAYS a good decision.... Why throw good money after bad, right?

Building a happy home, one bike at a time...

• Greasedmonkey
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jul 2014 18:36 #639873 by Greasedmonkey
Indeed! I dont have a key for the seat or gas cap, and thats whats hindering me right now. I cant get at the battery to take it out and replace it.

1980 KZ650E

More
12 Jul 2014 20:36 #639877 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 1980 KZ650e LTD - Cafe Dreams -
Take a close look at the seat lock. Near the keyhole you may see a number stamped into the metal. If the number is there, that is the number of the key you need. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Greasedmonkey
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jul 2014 22:08 #639883 by Greasedmonkey
Thanks, Ill do that when its light out again.

1980 KZ650E