Update of 79ZK650D2

More
04 Jul 2014 15:04 #638907 by Dozer
Update of 79ZK650D2 was created by Dozer
Guess what guys... I rode it today!! :woohoo: KInd of a peppy little bike but sure has a high CG compared to my other bikes. I still have far to go...but not as far as last month. I got the tank cleaned out and major engine stuff done. Put the tank on, added gas, fired it up and rode it around the block. Its good but needs some tweeking, throttle cables adjusted and still a few more parts. I have the cable too snug...when I move the handlebars the idle RPM speeds up...maybe a routing issue under the tank...I need to get a closer look at it.

I thought I might have a problem with the petcock because last month it wasnt working at all. I took it apart, cleaned all that mess up. put it back together and it works like new....even the vacuum diaphram is still in tact.

I got the rear brake working well....all it needed was flushing, cleaning up, new fluid and bled. The master cylinder was full of jelly but there was no pitting or corrosion as there was in the front cylinder. The pedal is rock solid now.
I still NEED a front master cylinder off of "something" that will work AND a front right caliper...even if its scrap, I just need the piston dust cover retainer ring if its still useable. I considered a master cylinder from ebay but was warned by several folks that they are chinese crap and to stay away from them. Yes, I rode it with out a front brake...no biggie but Iwouldnt do it on the hiway

Last thing I need are a set coils. Mine still work but they are both cracked. I dont want to trust them very far. Z1 says they are still waiting on the Emgo replacement coils to come in. After I get those items taken care of, the bike still needs tires, tubes and most likely a new chain. I am plumb tickled to death that after 35 years in storage that I actually rode this bike around the block today....and it ran pretty well!

I spoke to the owner a few days ago and he has decided to keep it as stock as we can instead if making it a cafe racer. The only thing he wants to change now is the color...he wants it black. I can deal with that more than a cafe build! No offense to those who are into cafe bikes LOL

So, for now, I want to thank all of y'all for your help and advice with this project, even though its not yet completed. I know I will have more questions before its done but in the meantime, if anyone has a line on those parts, or has any parts I need, ot a proven idea, I'd sure appreciate a heads up. Again, these are for a 79 KZ650 D2:
1. Front master Cylinder
2. A working or scrap front right caliper as long as the dust cover ring that fits into the piston bore is useable. Can even be a left caliper just as long as that ring is useable.
3. A set of either OEM or OEM style replacement coils. This is a duel point ign system.

Thanks again guys...have a safe and happy 4th of July
Dozer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.