76 KZ900

More
24 Jun 2014 22:41 #637940 by Hemified
Replied by Hemified on topic 76 KZ900

Patton wrote: Very impressive restoration! :cheer: :cheer:

Good Fortune! :)

Thank you!! Really didn't do that much but clean the crap out of it and freshen it up a bit.Like I said before he took very good care of it. Had alittle over 10,000 mi. when I saw it in his shed.Has just touching 11,000 now can't blame me for riding the hell out it.I knew it would clean up bitching. Can't wait to get the new paint on.Can you believe the tail and side covers are rattle can I shot in my driveway hahaha.being a MOPAR guy the closest green I saw at the auto store was Chrysler color. Cool with me....Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2014 00:17 #638418 by Hemified
Well good news the kz didn't sell on ebay. I get to enjoy it longer. Thought it would get higher than 3050.00. But I guess those ebay guys want it to be stock looking. Ok with me I love it the way is I could put it back stock in a day. Anyone see that one next to mine go for 12.500.00 crazy!!!! It was clean though. Makes me want to put mine back to stock then see how much they would pay hahahaha Getting it painted next week I'll post some pics. Thanks all.....

More
30 Jun 2014 06:46 #638437 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic 76 KZ900
When you say "could put it back stock in a day", do you also have the original stock exhaust for it as well? If so, that alone can be worth a lot of money. Main thing I hate about seeing a nice example like this sold on eBay is that a buyer my be one of these parts eBayers that only want to purchase it to part it out. But, money is money. I hope you find the right buyer for your bike. Good luck.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

More
30 Jun 2014 06:58 #638439 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 76 KZ900

Hemified wrote: Well good news the kz didn't sell on ebay. I get to enjoy it longer. Thought it would get higher than 3050.00. But I guess those ebay guys want it to be stock looking. Ok with me I love it the way is I could put it back stock in a day. Anyone see that one next to mine go for 12.500.00 crazy!!!! It was clean though. Makes me want to put mine back to stock then see how much they would pay hahahaha Getting it painted next week I'll post some pics. Thanks all.....

Does not compute. Painting over the original stock paint rules out putting it back to stock unless you replaced the tins ($$$). If you plan to keep it the paint job will make you happy, but if you painted over the original factory paint in order to increase the bike's value to a buyer I'm afraid you will not recoup the cost of the paint job and may even make the bike less marketable. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
30 Jun 2014 14:18 #638482 by ed spangler
Replied by ed spangler on topic 76 KZ900

650ed wrote:

Hemified wrote: Well good news the kz didn't sell on ebay. I get to enjoy it longer. Thought it would get higher than 3050.00. But I guess those ebay guys want it to be stock looking. Ok with me I love it the way is I could put it back stock in a day. Anyone see that one next to mine go for 12.500.00 crazy!!!! It was clean though. Makes me want to put mine back to stock then see how much they would pay hahahaha Getting it painted next week I'll post some pics. Thanks all.....

Does not compute. Painting over the original stock paint rules out putting it back to stock unless you replaced the tins ($$$). If you plan to keep it the paint job will make you happy, but if you painted over the original factory paint in order to increase the bike's value to a buyer I'm afraid you will not recoup the cost of the paint job and may even make the bike less marketable. Ed

+1
If you have the original exhaust and its in decent shape, and original paint on the bike isnt too bad, you can get a LOT of money for the bike putting the stock exhaust and any other stock components you have back on it before selling it.
Just to give you an "Idea"....Generally speaking... I think new reproduction exhaust systems for these are around $2K!! Crazy expensive!

Just saying......650ED is Bang On..... ( as usual!)
Ed

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

More
01 Jul 2014 00:18 #638545 by Hemified
I agree with you guys about the value of the kz900. Things I don't have are the pipes , airbox , grab bar and seat has been recovered. Paint is kinda crappy the clear coat is coming up everywhere. My buddy is a very talented painter he paints and builds custom cars I think no car leaves his shop under 50k. It's was his idea to paint it.he told me to try to wet sand the clear coat but it was so thin I burned right through it. So he said I will paint it for you since I said (you might be able to sand it and clear it again) :cheer: so I get a paint job.