• fasterlapdunn
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 May 2014 08:45 #632740 by fasterlapdunn
1979 KZ1000 LTD was created by fasterlapdunn
www.kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/593...r-with-ktz00b#632734

My thoughts on this build:
I don't want to make the 17" wheel conversion. I am going to go the Vetter route, pictures attached. One thing I noticed from my bike to the vetter bike is that the top rear shock mount looks like it is moved forward on the vetter bike. They probably did this to increase ride height/ground clearance but why not just use longer shocks? Stiction maybe? I wonder if I should move the mount too or just use longer shocks if available?

The compression is great on the motor. It came with flatsides, wiseco engraved cylinder head, the intake looks rifled, and the person I got it from said the guy he got it from had motor work done; well obviously. Of course it was running great before he put it in the corner to die slowly. The motor was not left open or anything and is full of oil. The dyna 000 ignition system is not giving me spark. Green 3 ohm coils, dyna 000 ignition module, dyna plate, dyna rpm limiter. With everything connected correctly and power traced to all ignition parts I am getting NO SPARK. With new ohmed out coil wires and cap, I connected 12V to the pos side of the coil and took the neg wire and tapped it on ground while my buddy held the spark plug against the head fins and NO SPARK.
I'm just going to replace the whole ignition with a new dyna 2000 package from Z1 Enterprises. I want to get spark first and get it to start-up before I begin my tear down.

I'm going to tear this baby all the way down and set it up for a track day! I wonder if I can vintage race this beast!

Another day another dollar...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2014 09:06 #632741 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 1979 KZ1000 LTD
Those black and yellow shocks in the first picture are S&W shocks. They were the hot ticket back in the day. I cannot says for certain, but it is possible that they were not available in longer units, or more likely, their top mounts were moved in order to change the geometry of the suspension for better performance. The second photo is more recent in that it shows the bike is wearing Pirelli Sport Demon tires. So I'm sure longer shocks were available when it was taken, but the newer shocks on the bike are still mounted the same as the S&W's so they may have kept them in that position because they liked the way the bike handled. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: fasterlapdunn

More
17 May 2014 09:16 #632744 by peter1958
The following user(s) said Thank You: fasterlapdunn

• fasterlapdunn
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 May 2014 09:58 #632747 by fasterlapdunn
Replied by fasterlapdunn on topic 1979 KZ1000 LTD
Wow thanks so much for that link! That is the definition of a pro job supercharged did!

Another day another dollar...