New to site, need kz650 advice!

• Corvetteman115
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
09 May 2014 21:24 #631995 by Corvetteman115
New to site, need kz650 advice! was created by Corvetteman115
Hey guys I'm new here but have been reading posts on here for a few years now. I'm 27 and I'm an ex suzuki/Kawi/HD tech (mostly newer bikes) but I've built and owned a few classics too, I just sold my 78 kz650 3 weeks ago and just finished a honda cx bratstyle bobber/cafe racer, my dad was a mechanic in the early 80s and is a genius with old bikes. Anyway here's my question yesterday I had a guy GIVE ME FOR FREE! Another 1978 kz650 and it's in real nice original cond, however it is completely disassembled and in 4-5 giant boxes, but litterally every part is there and I mean everything. Motor spins and has good compression. Guy took it all about 20 years ago for a resto an never finished (hes 74) so anyway now my question is this, should i put it all back together, And if so what kinda nightmare is this gona be? Or should I just resell everything? My thinking is this would be a great project for next winter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2014 05:57 #632012 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New to site, need kz650 advice!
Welcome aboard! Well, I've owned my 1977 KZ650 since it was new, so I suspect you can guess my vote. :laugh: I have ridden dozens of different bikes over the years, and I still find the KZ650 to be a joy to ride even after all these years (mine is all stock), so if someone gave me a "bike ina box" I would take my time and carefully re-assemble it replacing any parts that weren't quite up to snuff. If you have all the original stock parts, by all means put her back together and have a stock bike. Stock KZ650's are becoming very rare especially when compared to ones that have been modified. Think about this - when is the last time you saw a stock KZ650 on the road? Other than my own, for me the answer is I haven't seen a stock one on the road in decades, and I get compliments and thumbs up on mine all the time. Sadly, the vast majority of them have been modified, mutilated, or otherwise changed. Believe me, if you can build a stock KZ650 you'll be the only guy in at least a 200 mile radius that has one. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
11 May 2014 21:33 #632151 by justwannaridekz250
Replied by justwannaridekz250 on topic New to site, need kz650 advice!
i'd make it into a cafe racer/bobber; whatever your heart desirers. It's got a good engine and usually those bikes tend to look pretty cafeish already so you might as well, I'm making a cafe racer from a 80 kz250, it's already looking like a cafe bike, just had to remove the stock handlebars, put some clubman bars, lower the forks a little, and get a new air filter pod. But if you wanna keep it stock, that's cool to. Keep on riding! :laugh:

www.dimecitycycles.com

'05 TTR90
'08 CRF100F
'85 XL350R
'80 KZ250

Current projects
'85 XL350R -street tracker
'80 KZ250 -brat racer

-Gabe

More
18 May 2014 16:19 #632873 by Rev
Replied by Rev on topic New to site, need kz650 advice!
I am with Ed on this one, if you have a complete kz650 thats in pieces, it would be worth putting it together. Complete original kz 650 are hard to come by. But ultimately it is up to you as to what you want to do with it. If you do decide to modify it maybe you can give us first dibs on any parts you may sell off. :woohoo:
Bill

78 kz650, Maxi-dwell, Modified flow through air box, Dyna coils.