KZ1000-P7 winter project almost complete.

More
24 Mar 2014 15:56 #626406 by jakedude
Well my winter project is nearing completion. I bought a 1988 KZ1000-P7 with 25k miles, that was not running and was in storage for 20+ years for $750. I have posted many questions here and was glad I did. Most issues were resolved quickly. So far I have rebuilt the carbs, adjusted the valves, replaced the motor mounts, replaced the brake rotors and pads, new front fork seals, cleaned the inside of the speedometer and tachometer, added a kick stand safety, and put on new tires.

I ran into one issue when putting the front wheel back on after changing the tire. I noticed that the front wheel didn't freely turn after torquing the front axle bolt down. I was changing the front brake pads at the same time so there was zero brake drag. I didn't hear any friction. It just took more effort than I expected to turn the wheel. This seemed strange to me but I was eager to ride the bike after all the winter work so I took it out for a spin. It ran without issue. No heat that I noticed coming off the wheel or the axle. Still it seemed strange.

Part of my ride was to check the gas mileage. It came in at 31 miles/gallon. I was riding the super slab at 70 to 75 m/hr. I'm not too happy about the mileage. Makes me wonder about the front wheel drag. I searched the web and there were plenty of folks saying all they get is 30 miles/gallon from their KZ1000 police bikes. Seems low to me since my Goldwing GL1500 gets 38 riding two up with the trunk and the saddlebags stuffed.

So now I'm on a quest to improve the gas mileage. My first thought was to add a tooth to the front sprocket. There is plenty of torque at the low end so I don't think I will miss a little for better gas mileage. The bike only has a 4 gallon tank. So currently every 100 miles I'll be looking for a fill up. Not good. I like to ride 300 to 500 miles per day when touring. Yeah, I like stretching my legs now and then, but not walking to find gas.

Any ideas?

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
26 Mar 2014 18:36 #626694 by TomW

jakedude wrote: Well my winter project is nearing completion. I bought a 1988 KZ1000-P7 with 25k miles, that was not running and was in storage for 20+ years for $750. I have posted many questions here and was glad I did. Most issues were resolved quickly. So far I have rebuilt the carbs, adjusted the valves, replaced the motor mounts, replaced the brake rotors and pads, new front fork seals, cleaned the inside of the speedometer and tachometer, added a kick stand safety, and put on new tires.

I ran into one issue when putting the front wheel back on after changing the tire. I noticed that the front wheel didn't freely turn after torquing the front axle bolt down. I was changing the front brake pads at the same time so there was zero brake drag. I didn't hear any friction. It just took more effort than I expected to turn the wheel. This seemed strange to me but I was eager to ride the bike after all the winter work so I took it out for a spin. It ran without issue. No heat that I noticed coming off the wheel or the axle. Still it seemed strange.

Part of my ride was to check the gas mileage. It came in at 31 miles/gallon. I was riding the super slab at 70 to 75 m/hr. I'm not too happy about the mileage. Makes me wonder about the front wheel drag. I searched the web and there were plenty of folks saying all they get is 30 miles/gallon from their KZ1000 police bikes. Seems low to me since my Goldwing GL1500 gets 38 riding two up with the trunk and the saddlebags stuffed.

So now I'm on a quest to improve the gas mileage. My first thought was to add a tooth to the front sprocket. There is plenty of torque at the low end so I don't think I will miss a little for better gas mileage. The bike only has a 4 gallon tank. So currently every 100 miles I'll be looking for a fill up. Not good. I like to ride 300 to 500 miles per day when touring. Yeah, I like stretching my legs now and then, but not walking to find gas.

Any ideas?

Slow down is simplest, cheapest way to increase milage.At 75 that sucker must have been buzzing pretty good on the stock gearing. I see in your other post you're going to change sprockets. That will help a lot. The cop bikes are geared for pursuit, meaning big rear sprockets for better acceleration. My '78 LTD 1000 runs a 15 33 combo and it works great. The 530 chain is a good upgrade. More sprocket combos are available and the 530 is easier to find if you're caught away from home in need of a chain.
The carbs could maybe be tweaked with smaller jets for improved economy, but I'm not familiar with the BS 34's used on the later engines. There are others on this forum with more savvy on those carbs than I. There is a yahoo group dedicated to the Kawi cop bikes. You might look there for more info specific to those models but you are in the right group here for info on KZ1000's in general.
For longer range, carry a gallon in a can in one of the bags. My LTD has a smaller tank than the KZP and I'm looking for a gas stop at under 100 miles when cruising on it. I now tour on a Kawi Voyager XII with a 6.12 gallon tank and go about 160-180 miles before looking for a gas station. Have fun on your KZP, its a great bike. Im looking for one myself.

'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.