1982 KZ440 LTD - Bobber build

More
25 Nov 2013 20:08 #614103 by EastCoast
1982 KZ440 LTD - Bobber build was created by EastCoast
I decided to open a topic to document the project I have begun. I have asked a few questions and received some good advice already which helps me in which direction to go since I am learning about this particular bike. This will also be helpful in my next build which will be to cafe racer a 77 KZ400, As for this one though, i bought it for 200 off a guy from Craigslist who had taken some of the stuff off it already and then gave up and sold it to me...no title so as I was looking into getting it titled using the VIN numbers off the frame, I learned that it was an 82 and not a 83 like I had originally thought, lol. So it begins in pretty bad shape but I like working on it and get tremendous satisfaction after the job is done to know what I started with. I am planning on cleaning and reusing as much as I can to keep the costs down as low as possible but not afraid to spend the money on new orings, jets, bearings, chain, etc to make sure it is done right where it counts. Other than that I plan to make it a bobber style and decide as I go. Below is a pic of what I started with and have since taken it completely apart down to frame and have cut off all the unnecessary tabs of as well as back loop, center stand removed and tabs cutoff as well. In the process of grinding down the rough cuts, weld on some pieces and paint frame. I will take some pics soon and update regularly for those interested. Thanks for your help and please continue with any advice.

Attachment KZ440_2013-11-25.JPG not found

KZ 440 LTD (Bobber build)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2013 10:31 #614528 by flint
Replied by flint on topic 1982 KZ440 LTD - Bobber build
Keep the pictures coming. They're fun little bikes as I've found out by doing the same thing as you. My recommendation is become an amazon.com fanatic for cheap parts. I also used z1enterprises.com for fork seals and gasket kits (reference part number on amazon and you can keep costs down.)
www.kz400.com/WorkshopManFrameset-5.html for service manual.

I would advise against running pod filters with cv carbs. Those forks look a bit rusted (by a bit I mean a lot) I've got a set ill send you. (Just for cost of shipping if you're interested.) I've got a grundle of miss matched parts. Shoot me a PM and ill send whatever I have that you may need for just cost of shipping. Good luck bud look forward to seeing that thing in a rideable state.

one piece at a time

1980 kz440 ltd a-1 (bobber thing)
1980 kz440 d-1 (stripped down scooter)

More
01 Dec 2013 20:19 #614592 by EastCoast
Replied by EastCoast on topic 1982 KZ440 LTD - Bobber build
I plan on updating build with pics as I go so stay tuned. I am working on this in the backyard of my townhouse and in Va at this time of year means I have limited time to work on it but i will find time and ways. I am all over many places for deals on parts and thanks for the recommendations...anything to save a little money. As far as parts go, I am not afraid to spend a little money on stuff like bearings and what not to make sure it will be right but cosmetically I can make things look new again or close enough so try to save anything i can as opposed to getting everything new. The forks were pretty bad but I cleaned them up a bit and will probably use some boots to cover the mid section and paint the upper sections but I really appreciate the offer and may take you up on it later or hit you up for some other parts as I get into it. I looked at your current build and am interested in what you have going on in the single carb that you are using. I have read threads of people doing that before and that might be the way to go. I have also read alot of threads about the proper jets to do the pod filter method as well so still deciding which way to go and like yourself, I change my mind alot midway through so I am sure that will work itself out as I go. Again I appreciate the offer and will certainly hit you up for some advice as I like what you have done with yours as well as your excitement for building these bikes...something we share.

More
01 Dec 2013 20:28 #614594 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 1982 KZ440 LTD - Bobber build
Those fork tubes look pretty rough. If the section that moves through the fork seals is pitted you may want to consider finding a set of tubes in better shape. Otherwise the pits will destroy the seals and cause leaks. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
02 Dec 2013 06:26 #614611 by EastCoast
They were really bad up top but got better down by the lower fork tubes but I will look a little closer when I get to them again. I didn't consider the new seals I am about to install so thanks for the tip.

More
12 Dec 2013 11:38 #615364 by EastCoast
Still into this build but gonna be a long process because like I mentioned, I am working on this in the backyard (under tarped tent) and it has snowed twice this week and ass cold so limited on my wrench time. Stay tuned though as i am collecting the pieces I need n the mean time.

i also got sidetracked a little by the purchase of a 1985 Honda 200x three-wheeler and have been running that all around in the snow. Needs some work but really fun to ride in the meantime until I get to it.