My 78 KZ650 Build is almost complete...pics inside

More
01 Oct 2013 18:12 - 01 Oct 2013 18:17 #608483 by kawa650kz
Purchased this bike a year ago in April, and have been working on it as time allows. I have put quite a bit of TLC into this bike, and it is finally starting to take shape. I cut down, reshaped, and recovered the seat, highly modified the rear fender among the most noticeable changes. Carbs completely disassembled/cleaned/rebuilt. Here is what is new:

-Carb pods
-seat cover
-grips
-levers
-fork gaiters
-battery
-mirrors
-tail light
-gas cap
-rear brakes
-handlebars
-lots of new stainless steel hardware, nuts bolts, etc

I haven't done a lot of posting here, but have utilized the forums extensively for help in restoring/modifying this bike. Thanks to all!!

Here is what I started with:

[IMG

I still have some minor tweaks to make to it, but here are the results so far...

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

78 KZ650 B2... in pieces for now...
Last edit: 01 Oct 2013 18:17 by kawa650kz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2013 09:31 - 02 Oct 2013 09:33 #608544 by Beaner242
Looks great. Love the color. nice job. i can tell you from experience. change those pods to Uni filters. you wont regret spending the money, night and day difference in the way it will run.

1982 KZ1000K LTD Chopper
Last edit: 02 Oct 2013 09:33 by Beaner242.

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
02 Oct 2013 13:24 #608574 by Proxy
It does look good. My one concern is the lack of a fork brace. In the real world the front fender supplies a mild fork brace. You my want to look into an aftermarket one or try and find a model with a 2 piece bolted front fender, I believe the SR has one. Then just use the brace part or cut down the existing fender. Don't know if you ever got into a tank slapper where the front end just starts to bang right then left or decides to flex too much in a spirited corner but it's not good for your underwear. Nice job tho!

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
02 Oct 2013 14:03 #608579 by kawa650kz

Proxy wrote: It does look good. My one concern is the lack of a fork brace. In the real world the front fender supplies a mild fork brace. You my want to look into an aftermarket one or try and find a model with a 2 piece bolted front fender, I believe the SR has one. Then just use the brace part or cut down the existing fender. Don't know if you ever got into a tank slapper where the front end just starts to bang right then left or decides to flex too much in a spirited corner but it's not good for your underwear. Nice job tho!

Thank You...as for the fork brace, that is one of the reasons I say I am "almost" finished. I am cutting down the original front fender/brace, and will reinstall it when it is completed and refinished... Good Observation!

78 KZ650 B2... in pieces for now...

More
02 Oct 2013 23:03 #608614 by baldy110
I really like the look, good job.