1981 KZ440B BUILD

More
28 Jul 2013 01:22 #598656 by RAG36
1981 KZ440B BUILD was created by RAG36
Hello all, im a new member here and figured i should post my bike that i just finished up. I tried to take pics as much as possible, however, when i get in the work groove i sometimes forget.

Let me say this, it may not be to everyones liking, but i had a vision from the start and i made it fit exactly what i was thinking. I appreciate any comments or feedback, positive or not.

It started in october of 2012, i picked up this 1981 Kz440B for $500. I found it on craigslist, in running order with a title. Heres how it looked the night i brought it home. The PO had already cut and removed quite a few things.

I quickly started to mess with the bike and i hated how the shock mounts just sat in the rear where he cut the frame. I had the idea to move them forward, so i clamped them in place on a piece of round bar.

Now that i had a plan in my head i tore it down

Then cut out the shock mount gussets and the rest of the frame rails

Put a couple slugs in the frame and set up the rear hoop

Then on to the shock mounts, i went back and forth on actually doing this, but i decided i was to far in to quit

I knew from the start that moving the mounts would require longer shocks, heres why...

The only shocks i could find at the time were some progressive shocks, they are for a MUCH heavier bike, but they'll do for now, should be replacing them soon.

Fast forward a few months, i stripped the frame and did a mock up to make sure i didnt forget anything before paint.

Next up, paint and final assembly....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2013 01:36 - 28 Jul 2013 01:37 #598661 by RAG36
Replied by RAG36 on topic 1981 KZ440B BUILD
I then started painting piece by piece, and assembling as they were finished...

Front and rear wheels, also one of the forks

Making it a roller..

Engine in...

Bolted on some other parts. Since i wasnt running a rear fender, i was stuck with the sideways plate. I got one meant for a harley and made my own mounting bracket to fit the axle.

If you look closely, you can see the Ballistic 4 cell lithium battery under the seat area. I think i forgot to mention that earlier.

Next up, some finished product pics, waiting for them to upload...
Last edit: 28 Jul 2013 01:37 by RAG36.

More
28 Jul 2013 08:59 #598675 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic 1981 KZ440B BUILD
looks like you have did alot of work to the bike. It turned out really nice. Have you got it completed all the way then? I want your feedback on how well you like that lithium battery. I debated on buying one when my goes out. your paint job turned out nice. What brand of paint did you use. What are the length eye to eye on your shocks? What length do you need? I know it wont be the ones you probably need, But in Portland indiana, once a year they have the tractor engine show. There for the last few years, theres a couple people there selling slightly longer than stock shocks. I think 15 somewhere eye to eye. But he sells them in pairs for $15 new. I have ran a couple pair. I just painted mine silver since they come in a yellow. But for $15 they are really nice progressive style shocks.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
28 Jul 2013 09:31 #598679 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 1981 KZ440B BUILD
Welcome aboard! To be frank, that style bike is not my cup o' tea, BUT you certainly have improved it since buying it. I'm glad to see you went through the effort to connect the rear frame rails. To me, when they are just chopped off they really look like an amateur attacked them with a hacksaw; the connection you welded on looks very nicely done.

I do have two suggestions -

If you plan to ride the bike I would mount some sort of front and rear fenders. The front fender will keep road slop from being thrown up on the engine which not only will make it always look dirty, but will eventually sandblast your paint, plus it will keep that slop (especially any rain or puddles) from being thrown up on you (Been there/done that with my old BSA). The rear fender will keep crap from being thrown up on your back (been there too) but even if you don't care about that you should at least consider putting a short rear fender or shield of some sort between the rear tire and the carbs. I assume you will run pod filters, and with no rear fender road slop will be thrown directly into the filters and make them a mess.

Second, I would flip those shocks so they are not upside down. Not only will they look better, they may function better (although that depends on how the internals are constructed).

Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
28 Jul 2013 12:27 #598697 by RAG36

Powerstroke_fan wrote: looks like you have did alot of work to the bike. It turned out really nice. Have you got it completed all the way then? I want your feedback on how well you like that lithium battery. I debated on buying one when my goes out. your paint job turned out nice. What brand of paint did you use. What are the length eye to eye on your shocks? What length do you need? I know it wont be the ones you probably need, But in Portland indiana, once a year they have the tractor engine show. There for the last few years, theres a couple people there selling slightly longer than stock shocks. I think 15 somewhere eye to eye. But he sells them in pairs for $15 new. I have ran a couple pair. I just painted mine silver since they come in a yellow. But for $15 they are really nice progressive style shocks.

Thank you for the kind words. Yes it is completed and on the road. So far the ballistic battery is working out great. I was worried it wouldn't have the cranking power, but it's doing it with no issues.
The paint(if you can believe it) is actually just some Rust-oleum rattle can. I did alot of prep, and used the best paint they have, with multiple layers of clear. It really did turn out good, most people would never guess that it's spray paint.
As for the shocks, they are about 14.5 inches eye to eye, I may have to check that place out. Not sure how far It is from me, but it may be worth it. Thanks again

More
28 Jul 2013 13:03 #598701 by RAG36

650ed wrote: Welcome aboard! To be frank, that style bike is not my cup o' tea, BUT you certainly have improved it since buying it. I'm glad to see you went through the effort to connect the rear frame rails. To me, when they are just chopped off they really look like an amateur attacked them with a hacksaw; the connection you welded on looks very nicely done.

I do have two suggestions -

If you plan to ride the bike I would mount some sort of front and rear fenders. The front fender will keep road slop from being thrown up on the engine which not only will make it always look dirty, but will eventually sandblast your paint, plus it will keep that slop (especially any rain or puddles) from being thrown up on you (Been there/done that with my old BSA). The rear fender will keep crap from being thrown up on your back (been there too) but even if you don't care about that you should at least consider putting a short rear fender or shield of some sort between the rear tire and the carbs. I assume you will run pod filters, and with no rear fender road slop will be thrown directly into the filters and make them a mess.

Second, I would flip those shocks so they are not upside down. Not only will they look better, they may function better (although that depends on how the internals are constructed).

Ed

Thank you Ed, i know it doesnt tickle everyones fancy, and thats ok. However, i appreciate you being respectful and not just bashing everything about it.

I have also went back and forth on running fenders, and they just dont fit with the look that i want. This isnt a daily rider and it never gets ridden in the rain. But i do understand your recommendation.
As for the shocks, im stuck with them being inverted, it was a major oversight of the shock mount relocation. The coil spring contacts the frame and it cant slide all the way onto the mount.

More
28 Jul 2013 18:40 - 28 Jul 2013 18:44 #598748 by RAG36
Alright, on to some of the most recent finished pics. There are still a few small things i may change this winter, but for now im just enjoying riding it!

I then had to make a seat, it had been a long time since i had used a sewing machine

Here are some of the last pics i have taken.

I know i will get questions about it, so i may as well answer now. Yes, it actually runs great with the pod filters. I dont know if im just lucky, or if i stumbled upon the way to make it work. Ill post some pics of what i did later on.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2013 18:44 by RAG36.

More
28 Jul 2013 22:54 - 28 Jul 2013 22:57 #598799 by jbeebe1
Replied by jbeebe1 on topic 1981 KZ440B BUILD
looks awesome, I started working on the exact same bike last october too:

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/551488...ish-build-81-kz-440b

I see you're running pods and a shorty exhaust, did you re-jet and if so what are you using? What muffler/pipe did you use and did you just slip it over?

What headlight bucket brackets are you using, I want to cut mine off to lower it like you have.

Check out my last page or so, I think you'rs would look better if you get rid of the stock ignition switch, it's just too big for that area now. I used a 10 dollar universal one and relocated it down on the frame.

Have you ridden it much yet? I went to a 100 tire in the front and 110 in the back. Does your 120 in the back rub the swingarm at all?

Do you get slop in your front forks without the fender acting as a brace? Has it decreased the handling when you really get into the curves.

Where did you relocate things like the flasher relay?

Before I relocated the ignition, but still pretty current:

[IMG

79 Honda 400 Hondamatic
79 Honda CB650
81 Honda CX500
81 Honda Passport C70
others coming in and out all the time!
Last edit: 28 Jul 2013 22:57 by jbeebe1.

More
29 Jul 2013 13:13 #598901 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic 1981 KZ440B BUILD
I like the grey,looks good. Not my style but my son would like it. If my 900 had a flat seat like that I would probaley not have been able to have kids!
Wayne

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover